Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 06-Oct-15 22:21:10
Print Post

Re: Sky DSL, HG612 and Netgear WNR 2000

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mlmclaren:
In reply to a post by BatBoy:
In reply to a post by mlmclaren:
As far as I'm aware the HG612 can't be used in the same manor on ADSL,
manner? Yes it can.
OK so this modem can be used exactly the same as it is with FTTC with ADSL can it!

I think you both might want to read the part below where I say it can be used with ADSL but not in the manor that FTTC is,
I've already set one up like that. I imagine you've read something somewhere and don't have the experience of actually setting it up?
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 06-Oct-15 22:51:46
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

My apologies everyone, I was wrong and didn't look at the link provided above... I forgot about EoA..

Apologies again for my arrogance :/
Standard User SteelArt
(newbie) Sun 11-Oct-15 15:19:58
Print Post

So did you set it up as per the screenshots I pointed you to?

Ive used just about every combination imaginable. The 612 has successfully authd and gained an IP etc but it simply won't work transparently via the router.
From what Ive read I need to use a rather expensive Vigor 120 instead of the 612. Given that this was really an exercise in saving a few bob, I'd just as well buy a suitable all in one solution.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 11-Oct-15 15:40:38
Print Post

[re: SteelArt] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by SteelArt:

Ive used just about every combination imaginable. The 612 has successfully authd and gained an IP
Could you supply screenshots of your settings please?
Standard User SteelArt
(newbie) Sun 11-Oct-15 15:57:58
Print Post

Could you supply screenshots of your settings please?

No point really. What I want to do simply is not possible without a modem that does ppoa-ppoe. The settings aren't at fault, its just that the modem isn't capable of doing what I want.
It seems that the Vigor120 is the only reasonably priced (sixty quid!!!") one available. As pay that I'd just as well get a combo.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 11-Oct-15 16:29:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by SteelArt:
No point really. What I want to do simply is not possible without a modem that does ppoa-ppoe. The settings aren't at fault, its just that the modem isn't capable of doing what I want.
Yes it is, your settings are wrong - imo wink
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 11-Oct-15 16:36:25
Print Post

The HG612 is a fully-fledged ADSLx/VDSL2 router. I'd be extremely surprised if it is incapable of doing what you say.

As BatBoy was the first person on these forums ever to work out how use it as a router, so knows a fair bit about its settings, does it really cost you to do as he asks?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59999/14372kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 11-Oct-15 16:40:55)

Standard User kevindb
(regular) Sun 11-Oct-15 17:58:41
Print Post

It won't work with Sky LLU - they do not support PPPoE, whether LLC or VC.Mux ATM encapsulation...extending an ethernet segment over ATM just isn't something they support, unlike BT. To get a PPPoE capable router to talk PPP over ADSL to Sky you need a modem capable of PPPoE->PPPoA relay such as the Draytek Vigor 130 - the HG612 just doesn't do that. I've somewhat bitter experience of this as documented http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/multiuser/t/4411322...
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 11-Oct-15 18:03:11
Print Post

[re: kevindb] [link to this post]

No need to use PPPoE. As the OP says, the modem successfully auths and gets an IP address.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 11-Oct-15 18:21:07
Print Post

[re: kevindb] [link to this post]

Netgear WNR2000 user manual:-
6. In the Internet Service Provider list, select the encapsulation method: PPPoE, PPPoA, or L2TP.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59999/14372kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to