Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 11-Oct-15 18:44:00
Print Post

Re: Sky DSL, HG612 and Netgear WNR 2000

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Aren't there two possible solutions?

1) Simply set the WNR 2000 to PPPoA as per the user manual.
2) Use the HG612 in modem/router mode, make sure it and the WNR 2000 are on the same subnet with an appropriate IP address for the Netgear outside the HG612 allocation range, disable the WNR 2000 DHCP, connect using LAN port to LAN port, not the WNR 2000 WAN port.

Either way should work shouldn't it?

Edit - Is the EoA in the Kitz link above correct for this setup? I think it should be PPPoA.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59999/14372kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 11-Oct-15 18:56:15)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 11-Oct-15 18:48:48
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I think so, unfortunately the OP has refused to post his settings so we may never know.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 11-Oct-15 18:53:58
Print Post

Actually I'm getting a bit confused, but it's certain this could be made to work within 5 minutes if hands on with the kit. I think my second solution above may be the only one, certain to work with the HG612 in modem/router mode with PPPoA and connected to a WNR 2000 LAN port.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59999/14372kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 11-Oct-15 18:54:34)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User SteelArt
(newbie) Sun 11-Oct-15 19:26:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
No need to use PPPoE. As the OP says, the modem successfully auths and gets an IP address.

But I want to hand full control to the router. This is simply not possible with this equipment over Sky.
Standard User SteelArt
(newbie) Sun 11-Oct-15 19:28:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Netgear WNR2000 user manual:-
6. In the Internet Service Provider list, select the encapsulation method: PPPoE, PPPoA, or L2TP.

It might say that it does anything other than ppoe but in practice it most certainly does not.
Before being asked, I have tried several different firmware versions.

Edited by SteelArt (Sun 11-Oct-15 19:44:28)

Standard User SteelArt
(newbie) Sun 11-Oct-15 19:32:37
Print Post

[re: kevindb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kevindb:
So did you set it up as per the screenshots I pointed you to?

It won't work with Sky LLU - they do not support PPPoE, whether LLC or VC.Mux ATM encapsulation...extending an ethernet segment over ATM just isn't something they support, unlike BT. To get a PPPoE capable router to talk PPP over ADSL to Sky you need a modem capable of PPPoE->PPPoA relay such as the Draytek Vigor 130 - the HG612 just doesn't do that. I've somewhat bitter experience of this as documented http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/multiuser/t/4411322...

And that is how it stands. There is no point of screenshots etc as it simply cannot be done with this combination.
Standard User SteelArt
(newbie) Sun 11-Oct-15 19:36:32
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

The hg612 will probably sync and auth to any provider whether eoa, ppoa or pope. That isn't the problem.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 11-Oct-15 19:42:46
Print Post

[re: SteelArt] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by SteelArt:
So did you set it up as per the screenshots I pointed you to?
There is no point of screenshots etc as it simply cannot be done with this combination.
Yeah, right
In reply to a post by SteelArt:
Any help would be gratefully accepted.. TYIA
Standard User SteelArt
(newbie) Sun 11-Oct-15 19:43:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Actually I'm getting a bit confused, but it's certain this could be made to work within 5 minutes if hands on with the kit. I think my second solution above may be the only one, certain to work with the HG612 in modem/router mode with PPPoA and connected to a WNR 2000 LAN port.

I'd already thought of that solution but it means that I lose a lan port. I cant afford to lose that lan port. That was the beauty of the "modem" + routers wan port.

I'll just have to scrape up a few bob and buy a suitable adsl router. I'd prefer an all in one solution anyway, its just that as I had the gear to hand, it might have been a free solution.
Standard User SteelArt
(newbie) Sun 11-Oct-15 19:50:14
Print Post

I am grateful for the help proffered but posting screenshots of every combination I have tried would be both very time consuming and would yield no useful purpose as what I wanted to achieve simply is not possible!
This has been confirmed by several experts including one from netgear. Huawei were not so amenable but I don't think that's where the problem lies.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to