Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User SteelArt
(newbie) Sun 11-Oct-15 21:57:38
Print Post

Re: Sky DSL, HG612 and Netgear WNR 2000

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
If the HG612 has the IP address from Sky, it simply passes the IP address to the router using DHCP spoofing.

Already tried it. It doesn't work.
Standard User SteelArt
(newbie) Sun 11-Oct-15 22:03:26
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
No. You disable the DHCP on the WNR 2000, as I said earlier. It becomes a switch + access point. The 612 becomes the modem/router. This is a very common type of setup.

From what I've read, and that's a hell of a lot by now, the two ports of the 612 cant be used simultaneously for the same thing although there seems to be provision to do so as they'd need to be in such a setup.
To be honest anyway, I'd much prefer to use the wnr2000 for everything leaving the modem as "transparent".

As I said, I'm resigned to buying a new all in one now anyway.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 11-Oct-15 22:25:30
Print Post

[re: SteelArt] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by SteelArt:
From what I've read, and that's a hell of a lot by now, the two ports of the 612 cant be used simultaneously for the same thing
You're wrong. They can.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 11-Oct-15 22:51:16
Print Post

You persist in refusing to accept what we suggest as a possibility or we state as fact.
First post so please be patient.
In my case it just ran out frown.
Any help would be gratefully accepted.
It seems not.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59999/14372kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User SteelArt
(newbie) Mon 12-Oct-15 00:07:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
You persist in refusing to accept what we suggest as a possibility or we state as fact.
First post so please be patient.
In my case it just ran out frown.
Any help would be gratefully accepted.
It seems not.

Just how high is that horse of yours? I sincerely hope you don't fall!
The definitive answer to my question was given by Kevindb and that answer was what I wanted simply cannot be done. This has been borne out by the wider internet and several experts in the field.
Why cant you and the other guy just accept this? I can and I'm the one that really wished it would work.
The solution that you posted was a bodge and a bodge that I have my doubts about given the wealth of info on this subject that I have now read. However, I have not said anywhere that I am not prepared to physically try it. That trial will not be happening until I have the time to do it though.

I was told to try this forum as although it was now little used compared to how it used to be, there were a few knowledgeable and friendly people here. I'm currently finding it hard to believe that!
Standard User SteelArt
(newbie) Mon 12-Oct-15 00:10:08
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
From what I've read, and that's a hell of a lot by now, the two ports of the 612 cant be used simultaneously for the same thing
You're wrong. They can.

Have you ever actually set up a hg612 to use in this or a similar manner?
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 12-Oct-15 00:33:34
Print Post

Yes. Have you?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 12-Oct-15 00:47:01
Print Post

ROFL

You are quite hilarious, talking about other people's high horses.

Have you read my first post in this thread?

Do you know what a Huawei HG612 technically is?

Have you read any of the several hundred threads on these or any forums about how to connect two routers together for various purposes? Do you know what a router is? What a modem is? What an Ethernet switch is? What a wireless access point is? Do you know what your WNR2000 comprises?

Do you realise how much garbage is spouted on other sites about the technical aspects of UK broadband? You may have read a lot, absorbed tripe, and not understood what is good and correct. That seems almost certain.

You can either try what is suggested here, though I begin to wonder if you are capable of doing that correctly, or you can go and waste your £60+.

I guarantee you that BatBoy, myself, and several dozen others on this site would have your kit up and running within twenty minutes of getting their hands on it.

Goodnight.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59999/14372kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User SteelArt
(newbie) Mon 12-Oct-15 08:13:31
Print Post

I was told that these forums have seriously waned in popularity over the last couple of years. I can see why now.
When it comes to you pair again, I'll heed the advice offered here:
http://alturl.com/mx8r9
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 12-Oct-15 08:38:23
Print Post

Here's a post from someone back in 2012 successfully doing what you failed to do
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,11748.msg224...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to