Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User SteelArt
(learned) Mon 12-Oct-15 11:49:10
Print Post

Re: Sky DSL, HG612 and Netgear WNR 2000

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Just a thought, have you actually successfully tied both ports to a single service. If so, is there anything to be aware of?
Standard User SteelArt
(learned) Mon 12-Oct-15 11:58:43
Print Post

Didn't see this.
Surely the service must be bound to at least one port as shown in the kitz walkthrough you pointed to earlier?
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 12-Oct-15 12:03:29
Print Post

[re: SteelArt] [link to this post]

I'm sorry, I'm just having to guess given the absence of your actual settings. But that should work.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User SteelArt
(learned) Mon 12-Oct-15 12:13:19
Print Post

I'm away from home at the moment so can't really provide actual settings but I'm sure that the settings I used for the 612 in router mode are the same as you pointed to in the kitz walkthrough.
There isn't a problem with that setup except for the lost lan port.
If the two two ports can be bound to the same service without adverse effects then we've reached a sort of a solution. Not exactly what I wanted but I can live with that.
With my luck, something else will present a hurdle further down the line. frown
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 12-Oct-15 12:21:06
Print Post

You untie both LAN ports, as BatBoy says. You use one to feed a LAN port on the Netgear, and the other as a simple LAN port, thus providing your fourth. There is no "third box" involved - what made you think there was? The Netgear WAN port is not used.

You need to sort out the subnets and the two fixed LAN IP addresses as he has already said.

The Sky username and login are entered directly into the HG612. Irrelevant in the Netgear once the HG612 is in modem/router mode instead of Bridge mode.

You disable DHCP on the Netgear as I've already said. It's the one on the HG612 that does it, for all devices connected to it or the Netgear.

A factory reset of an unlocked HG612 does not lose the unlocked firmware. It merely reverts it to the settings that it had immediately after the unlocked one was flashed in.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59999/14372kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 12-Oct-15 12:23:32)

Standard User SteelArt
(learned) Mon 12-Oct-15 12:29:45
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I thought you had gone!
Just to put you straight, the "third box" refers to necessity of a switch if only 3 lan ports are in fact available.
"Another box to give me that port back is really a no-no due to space and well, that's 3 boxes for one connection."
"hard reset"

If you insist on trolling please try to keep up.

Edited by SteelArt (Mon 12-Oct-15 12:32:14)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 12-Oct-15 12:53:52
Print Post

No switch needed. LAN1 and LAN2 are on a switch.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59999/14372kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 14-Oct-15 10:03:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by SteelArt:
Just to put you straight, the "third box" refers to necessity of a switch if only 3 lan ports are in fact available.
"Another box to give me that port back is really a no-no due to space and well, that's 3 boxes for one connection."

Whilst I can appreciate that three boxes to do what can be done with one consumer grade router feels like overkill, some of us have house networks that consist of much more than three boxes.

I replaced our main house switch last week with a ZyXEL GS1920-48HP 48 port Gigabit switch supporting 802.3at Power over Ethernet. The previous 24 port switch had suffered a fan failure, had run out of ports and had several single port Power over Ethernet midspan injectors sat on the top, also it was very noisy.

The 48 port switch connects over a pair of redundant fibre connections to a 24 port switch in the server room in the garage.

Once you start providing network connections to TV boxes, media players, wireless access points, VoIP devices, print servers and UPSes, it's surprising how many ports you need. We are proposing to deploy IP CCTV in the future.

Standard User awontroba
(learned) Thu 15-Oct-15 14:37:51
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

My, that is an impressive home network. Envy!

--
Adrian
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to