Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User SteelArt
(newbie) Tue 06-Oct-15 13:34:50
Print Post

Sky DSL, HG612 and Netgear WNR 2000

[link to this post]

First post so please be patient. -;
Is it possible to use a combination of the above successfully?
I've set up the H612 as a DSL modem and I think in ppoa bridge mode. It gets sync but then I can't get the WNR 2000 to pass on the login details.
If I use the wizard it immediately asks for my static IP details etc but I don't have a static IP. It's a simple Sky ADSL2 service.
If I use the manual setup on the WNR2000 it accepts everything but but returns to the same page without seeming to do anything.

Any help would be gratefully accepted.. TYIA

Edited by SteelArt (Tue 06-Oct-15 13:38:30)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 06-Oct-15 13:48:35
Print Post

Re: Sky DSL, HG612 and Netgear WNR 2000

[re: SteelArt] [link to this post]

There are some screenshots here of how to set up the HG612 and a router on ADSL http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,16024.msg301...

Have you got your Sky logon details?

Edited by BatBoy (Tue 06-Oct-15 13:49:04)

Standard User SteelArt
(newbie) Tue 06-Oct-15 14:02:04
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

It's an old o2 connection so user is [email protected] and password is install. That's what I use with my current Thomson router which is getting a bit flaky hence the desire to change. The Hg612 is unlocked and upgraded to B030SP08.

As I understand it, Sky uses ppoa rather than ppoe and that's where the problem lies.

Edited by SteelArt (Tue 06-Oct-15 14:03:40)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 06-Oct-15 14:11:29
Print Post

Can you post some screenshots of your equivalent settings please on the HG612?
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 06-Oct-15 14:14:01
Print Post

The HG612 isn't a modem, it is a DSL router that has been setup by Openreach to bridge PPPoE between a router and the DSL connection...

As far as I'm aware the HG612 can't be used in the same manor on ADSL, however as above it can be configured as a wired router and then you can connect the WNR2000 to that with the DHCP turned off to add wireless and more ethernet ports.

Edited by mlmclaren (Tue 06-Oct-15 22:54:49)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 06-Oct-15 16:59:03
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mlmclaren:
As far as I'm aware the HG612 can't be used in the same manor on ADSL,
manner? Yes it can.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 06-Oct-15 17:18:25
Print Post

To quote from teh HG612 set up pages:

DSL Configuration
Help
Modulation type:
G.Dmt
ADSL2
ADSL2+
T1.413
VDSL2
ALL

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 06-Oct-15 21:35:10
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
To quote from teh HG612 set up pages:
In reply to a post by BatBoy:
manner? Yes it can.

DSL Configuration
Help
Modulation type:
G.Dmt
ADSL2
ADSL2+
T1.413
VDSL2
ALL

OK so this modem can be used exactly the same as it is with FTTC with ADSL can it!

I think you both might want to read the part below where I say it can be used with ADSL but not in the manor that FTTC is, it requires the authentication with the provider is done at HG612 level and not router... the HG612 will need to be setup as the router and then extra equipment like a switch or WAP will need connecting to connect more than 2 devices.

Trying unsuccessfully to be a no it all frown sorry!

Edited by mlmclaren (Tue 06-Oct-15 22:54:17)

Standard User SteelArt
(newbie) Tue 06-Oct-15 21:51:38
Print Post

From what I've read the hg612 can be used as a modem only over DSL as well as fibre in normal circumstances. It looks like the WNR2000 only does ppoe whilst ppoa is required to authenticate with sky.
The setup seems to work fine with the likes of BT etc.
Not that I know what I'm talking about when it comes to this stuff but what I need to do is convert ppoa to ppoe inside the hg612. Either that or forcing the wnr2000 to do ppoa.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 06-Oct-15 22:17:18
Print Post

So did you set it up as per the screenshots I pointed you to?
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 06-Oct-15 22:21:10
Print Post

manner? Yes it can.
OK so this modem can be used exactly the same as it is with FTTC with ADSL can it!

I think you both might want to read the part below where I say it can be used with ADSL but not in the manor that FTTC is,
I've already set one up like that. I imagine you've read something somewhere and don't have the experience of actually setting it up?
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 06-Oct-15 22:51:46
Print Post

My apologies everyone, I was wrong and didn't look at the link provided above... I forgot about EoA..

Apologies again for my arrogance :/
Standard User SteelArt
(newbie) Sun 11-Oct-15 15:19:58
Print Post

Ive used just about every combination imaginable. The 612 has successfully authd and gained an IP etc but it simply won't work transparently via the router.
From what Ive read I need to use a rather expensive Vigor 120 instead of the 612. Given that this was really an exercise in saving a few bob, I'd just as well buy a suitable all in one solution.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 11-Oct-15 15:40:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by SteelArt:

Ive used just about every combination imaginable. The 612 has successfully authd and gained an IP
Could you supply screenshots of your settings please?
Standard User SteelArt
(newbie) Sun 11-Oct-15 15:57:58
Print Post

Could you supply screenshots of your settings please?

No point really. What I want to do simply is not possible without a modem that does ppoa-ppoe. The settings aren't at fault, its just that the modem isn't capable of doing what I want.
It seems that the Vigor120 is the only reasonably priced (sixty quid!!!") one available. As pay that I'd just as well get a combo.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 11-Oct-15 16:29:09
Print Post

No point really. What I want to do simply is not possible without a modem that does ppoa-ppoe. The settings aren't at fault, its just that the modem isn't capable of doing what I want.
Yes it is, your settings are wrong - imo wink
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 11-Oct-15 16:36:25
Print Post

The HG612 is a fully-fledged ADSLx/VDSL2 router. I'd be extremely surprised if it is incapable of doing what you say.

As BatBoy was the first person on these forums ever to work out how use it as a router, so knows a fair bit about its settings, does it really cost you to do as he asks?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59999/14372kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 11-Oct-15 16:40:55)

Standard User kevindb
(regular) Sun 11-Oct-15 17:58:41
Print Post

It won't work with Sky LLU - they do not support PPPoE, whether LLC or VC.Mux ATM encapsulation...extending an ethernet segment over ATM just isn't something they support, unlike BT. To get a PPPoE capable router to talk PPP over ADSL to Sky you need a modem capable of PPPoE->PPPoA relay such as the Draytek Vigor 130 - the HG612 just doesn't do that. I've somewhat bitter experience of this as documented http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/multiuser/t/4411322...
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 11-Oct-15 18:03:11
Print Post

[re: kevindb] [link to this post]

No need to use PPPoE. As the OP says, the modem successfully auths and gets an IP address.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 11-Oct-15 18:21:07
Print Post

Netgear WNR2000 user manual:-
6. In the Internet Service Provider list, select the encapsulation method: PPPoE, PPPoA, or L2TP.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 11-Oct-15 18:44:00
Print Post

Aren't there two possible solutions?

1) Simply set the WNR 2000 to PPPoA as per the user manual.
2) Use the HG612 in modem/router mode, make sure it and the WNR 2000 are on the same subnet with an appropriate IP address for the Netgear outside the HG612 allocation range, disable the WNR 2000 DHCP, connect using LAN port to LAN port, not the WNR 2000 WAN port.

Either way should work shouldn't it?

Edit - Is the EoA in the Kitz link above correct for this setup? I think it should be PPPoA.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 11-Oct-15 18:56:15)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 11-Oct-15 18:48:48
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I think so, unfortunately the OP has refused to post his settings so we may never know.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 11-Oct-15 18:53:58
Print Post

Actually I'm getting a bit confused, but it's certain this could be made to work within 5 minutes if hands on with the kit. I think my second solution above may be the only one, certain to work with the HG612 in modem/router mode with PPPoA and connected to a WNR 2000 LAN port.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 11-Oct-15 18:54:34)

Standard User SteelArt
(newbie) Sun 11-Oct-15 19:26:42
Print Post

No need to use PPPoE. As the OP says, the modem successfully auths and gets an IP address.

But I want to hand full control to the router. This is simply not possible with this equipment over Sky.
Standard User SteelArt
(newbie) Sun 11-Oct-15 19:28:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Netgear WNR2000 user manual:-
6. In the Internet Service Provider list, select the encapsulation method: PPPoE, PPPoA, or L2TP.

It might say that it does anything other than ppoe but in practice it most certainly does not.
Before being asked, I have tried several different firmware versions.

Edited by SteelArt (Sun 11-Oct-15 19:44:28)

Standard User SteelArt
(newbie) Sun 11-Oct-15 19:32:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by kevindb:

It won't work with Sky LLU - they do not support PPPoE, whether LLC or VC.Mux ATM encapsulation...extending an ethernet segment over ATM just isn't something they support, unlike BT. To get a PPPoE capable router to talk PPP over ADSL to Sky you need a modem capable of PPPoE->PPPoA relay such as the Draytek Vigor 130 - the HG612 just doesn't do that. I've somewhat bitter experience of this as documented http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/multiuser/t/4411322...

And that is how it stands. There is no point of screenshots etc as it simply cannot be done with this combination.
Standard User SteelArt
(newbie) Sun 11-Oct-15 19:36:32
Print Post

The hg612 will probably sync and auth to any provider whether eoa, ppoa or pope. That isn't the problem.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 11-Oct-15 19:42:46
Print Post

There is no point of screenshots etc as it simply cannot be done with this combination.
Yeah, right
Any help would be gratefully accepted.. TYIA
Standard User SteelArt
(newbie) Sun 11-Oct-15 19:43:40
Print Post

Actually I'm getting a bit confused, but it's certain this could be made to work within 5 minutes if hands on with the kit. I think my second solution above may be the only one, certain to work with the HG612 in modem/router mode with PPPoA and connected to a WNR 2000 LAN port.

I'd already thought of that solution but it means that I lose a lan port. I cant afford to lose that lan port. That was the beauty of the "modem" + routers wan port.

I'll just have to scrape up a few bob and buy a suitable adsl router. I'd prefer an all in one solution anyway, its just that as I had the gear to hand, it might have been a free solution.
Standard User SteelArt
(newbie) Sun 11-Oct-15 19:50:14
Print Post

I am grateful for the help proffered but posting screenshots of every combination I have tried would be both very time consuming and would yield no useful purpose as what I wanted to achieve simply is not possible!
This has been confirmed by several experts including one from netgear. Huawei were not so amenable but I don't think that's where the problem lies.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 11-Oct-15 20:02:24
Print Post

You lose one LAN port on the WNR 2000 but there is a spare one on the HG612.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 11-Oct-15 20:02:50
Print Post

5-port switch for a fiver on Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/D-Link-DES-1005D-port-100Mb-...
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 11-Oct-15 20:03:59
Print Post

I am grateful for the help proffered but posting screenshots of every combination I have tried would be both very time consuming and would yield no useful purpose
Except that it might help others
Standard User SteelArt
(newbie) Sun 11-Oct-15 20:28:12
Print Post

My original settings for the hg612 were exactly as posted in the thread you pointed to. I was thinking of playing with ddwrt but after reading that, I think I'll ebay the hg612 and go for a one box solution.
Standard User SteelArt
(newbie) Sun 11-Oct-15 20:35:08
Print Post

Except that it might help others

How? If it doesn't work? Using a modem+router combo (612 included) on any other service is very well documented but as it was a sky connection that was asked about and specifically mentioned in the thread header, there is no point whatsoever.
Standard User SteelArt
(newbie) Sun 11-Oct-15 20:38:35
Print Post

You lose one LAN port on the WNR 2000 but there is a spare one on the HG612.

Interesting! How would that work? dhcp etc would need to be disabled on the 612 and I'm not sure whether both ports can be successfully tied.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 11-Oct-15 20:48:52
Print Post

How? If it doesn't work? Using a modem+router combo (612 included) on any other service is very well documented but as it was a sky connection that was asked about and specifically mentioned in the thread header, there is no point whatsoever.
You're not the only Sky customer you know.
Standard User SteelArt
(newbie) Sun 11-Oct-15 21:00:42
Print Post

What a strange reply?????
It matters not whether I am the only sky customer or whether there are 50000000000 more.
What I was attempting to do with the equipment I have cannot be done and that is that!!!

Concise instructions from anyone who can successfully prove otherwise would be welcome but otherwise there is little point in continuing this thread.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 11-Oct-15 21:09:08
Print Post

No. You disable the DHCP on the WNR 2000, as I said earlier. It becomes a switch + access point. The 612 becomes the modem/router. This is a very common type of setup.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 11-Oct-15 21:14:57
Print Post

If the HG612 has the IP address from Sky, it simply passes the IP address to the router using DHCP spoofing.

Edited by BatBoy (Sun 11-Oct-15 21:15:38)

Standard User SteelArt
(newbie) Sun 11-Oct-15 21:57:38
Print Post

If the HG612 has the IP address from Sky, it simply passes the IP address to the router using DHCP spoofing.

Already tried it. It doesn't work.
Standard User SteelArt
(newbie) Sun 11-Oct-15 22:03:26
Print Post

No. You disable the DHCP on the WNR 2000, as I said earlier. It becomes a switch + access point. The 612 becomes the modem/router. This is a very common type of setup.

From what I've read, and that's a hell of a lot by now, the two ports of the 612 cant be used simultaneously for the same thing although there seems to be provision to do so as they'd need to be in such a setup.
To be honest anyway, I'd much prefer to use the wnr2000 for everything leaving the modem as "transparent".

As I said, I'm resigned to buying a new all in one now anyway.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 11-Oct-15 22:25:30
Print Post

From what I've read, and that's a hell of a lot by now, the two ports of the 612 cant be used simultaneously for the same thing
You're wrong. They can.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 11-Oct-15 22:51:16
Print Post

You persist in refusing to accept what we suggest as a possibility or we state as fact.
First post so please be patient.
In my case it just ran out frown.
Any help would be gratefully accepted.
It seems not.

Standard User SteelArt
(newbie) Mon 12-Oct-15 00:07:41
Print Post

You persist in refusing to accept what we suggest as a possibility or we state as fact.
First post so please be patient.
In my case it just ran out frown.
Any help would be gratefully accepted.
It seems not.

Just how high is that horse of yours? I sincerely hope you don't fall!
The definitive answer to my question was given by Kevindb and that answer was what I wanted simply cannot be done. This has been borne out by the wider internet and several experts in the field.
Why cant you and the other guy just accept this? I can and I'm the one that really wished it would work.
The solution that you posted was a bodge and a bodge that I have my doubts about given the wealth of info on this subject that I have now read. However, I have not said anywhere that I am not prepared to physically try it. That trial will not be happening until I have the time to do it though.

I was told to try this forum as although it was now little used compared to how it used to be, there were a few knowledgeable and friendly people here. I'm currently finding it hard to believe that!
Standard User SteelArt
(newbie) Mon 12-Oct-15 00:10:08
Print Post

From what I've read, and that's a hell of a lot by now, the two ports of the 612 cant be used simultaneously for the same thing
You're wrong. They can.

Have you ever actually set up a hg612 to use in this or a similar manner?
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 12-Oct-15 00:33:34
Print Post

Yes. Have you?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 12-Oct-15 00:47:01
Print Post

ROFL

You are quite hilarious, talking about other people's high horses.

Have you read my first post in this thread?

Do you know what a Huawei HG612 technically is?

Have you read any of the several hundred threads on these or any forums about how to connect two routers together for various purposes? Do you know what a router is? What a modem is? What an Ethernet switch is? What a wireless access point is? Do you know what your WNR2000 comprises?

Do you realise how much garbage is spouted on other sites about the technical aspects of UK broadband? You may have read a lot, absorbed tripe, and not understood what is good and correct. That seems almost certain.

You can either try what is suggested here, though I begin to wonder if you are capable of doing that correctly, or you can go and waste your £60+.

I guarantee you that BatBoy, myself, and several dozen others on this site would have your kit up and running within twenty minutes of getting their hands on it.

Goodnight.

Standard User SteelArt
(newbie) Mon 12-Oct-15 08:13:31
Print Post

I was told that these forums have seriously waned in popularity over the last couple of years. I can see why now.
When it comes to you pair again, I'll heed the advice offered here:
http://alturl.com/mx8r9
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 12-Oct-15 08:38:23
Print Post

Here's a post from someone back in 2012 successfully doing what you failed to do
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,11748.msg224...
Standard User SteelArt
(learned) Mon 12-Oct-15 08:57:59
Print Post

"this router can operate in a 'bridged' mode cant it? even in ADSL? how does that work exactly? because this Sky-Hub has been designed to work with the FTTC HG612 modem, it has a special WANoE mode for the HG612 if you get FTTC with sky - Ive read something along the lines of in this mode the Sky-Hub does all the DHCP etc and manages/displays the connection settings...only the HG612 makes the actual sync and passes it off too the hub/router"

Not successful!!! I got that far a long time ago!!!
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 12-Oct-15 09:28:15
Print Post

So what is your problem?

The poster in that post is happy with the connection, what can't you do?

Why don't you post your settings?

Edited by BatBoy (Mon 12-Oct-15 09:36:35)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 12-Oct-15 10:11:06
Print Post

He doesn't know how, and any instructions for that people stupid unhelpful types like us elsewhere give him don't work.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 12-Oct-15 10:20:31
Print Post

I think his problem is actually with the router which the Netgear Genie should be able to sort out.
Standard User SteelArt
(learned) Mon 12-Oct-15 11:03:04
Print Post

He doesn't know how, and any instructions for that people stupid unhelpful types like us elsewhere give him don't work.

It's not so much a high horse as a hobby horse.
Grow up!
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 12-Oct-15 11:06:14
Print Post

Do you ever drink water?

Standard User SteelArt
(learned) Mon 12-Oct-15 11:34:44
Print Post

So what is your problem?

The poster in that post is happy with the connection, what can't you do?

That method uses the hg612 as a modem/router and the attached equipment as a switch/wap. That loses me a lan port on the netgear which I cant afford to lose. Another box to give me that port back is really a no-no due to space and well, that's 3 boxes for one connection.

You stated that the two ports of the 612 can be tied together giving me the desired 4 lan ports. While I'm willing to try this when I get an hour spare, from what Ive read this wont work as expected. When I tried it before by binding lan1/2 to the "internet" service, I lost all access to the 612 via http. By then it was late and I hadn't thought about the cli interface.
I had to hard reset it and doing this lost the firmware update. I'm dubious that this will work but perhaps I'd overlooked something so I'll give it another go.

Except for the lost lan port, it would have been ok although not really what I wanted. However, what I want does not seem possible. A very knowledgeable tech from within sky told me this a couple of weeks ago and it was him that suggested the vigor. Further reading seems to support him 100%.
I was hoping that there was some undocumented cli command that someone here may have known about.

When I get back to it and tie those ports, I'll take a few screenshots then. Is there anything in particular that you want to look at?

I am not a stranger to this world. In fact I worked extensively on unlocking the voyager 220. That was a long time ago.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 12-Oct-15 11:40:27
Print Post

Basic > DSL
Basic > ATM
Basic > WAN
Basic > LAN
Standard User SteelArt
(learned) Mon 12-Oct-15 11:46:31
Print Post

No but I can lead a horse!

If you have nothing constructive to add, please stop trolling this thread and taking it off topic. Despite your annoying intrusions, we may actually be getting somewhere so please take your vitriol elsewhere.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 12-Oct-15 11:48:15
Print Post

You stated that the two ports of the 612 can be tied together giving me the desired 4 lan ports. While I'm willing to try this when I get an hour spare, from what Ive read this wont work as expected. When I tried it before by binding lan1/2 to the "internet" service, I lost all access to the 612 via http.
Are you saying you ticked both LAN1 and LAN2? I think you're supposed to untick them.
Standard User SteelArt
(learned) Mon 12-Oct-15 11:49:10
Print Post

Just a thought, have you actually successfully tied both ports to a single service. If so, is there anything to be aware of?
Standard User SteelArt
(learned) Mon 12-Oct-15 11:58:43
Print Post

Didn't see this.
Surely the service must be bound to at least one port as shown in the kitz walkthrough you pointed to earlier?
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 12-Oct-15 12:03:29
Print Post

I'm sorry, I'm just having to guess given the absence of your actual settings. But that should work.
Standard User SteelArt
(learned) Mon 12-Oct-15 12:13:19
Print Post

I'm away from home at the moment so can't really provide actual settings but I'm sure that the settings I used for the 612 in router mode are the same as you pointed to in the kitz walkthrough.
There isn't a problem with that setup except for the lost lan port.
If the two two ports can be bound to the same service without adverse effects then we've reached a sort of a solution. Not exactly what I wanted but I can live with that.
With my luck, something else will present a hurdle further down the line. frown
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 12-Oct-15 12:21:06
Print Post

You untie both LAN ports, as BatBoy says. You use one to feed a LAN port on the Netgear, and the other as a simple LAN port, thus providing your fourth. There is no "third box" involved - what made you think there was? The Netgear WAN port is not used.

You need to sort out the subnets and the two fixed LAN IP addresses as he has already said.

The Sky username and login are entered directly into the HG612. Irrelevant in the Netgear once the HG612 is in modem/router mode instead of Bridge mode.

You disable DHCP on the Netgear as I've already said. It's the one on the HG612 that does it, for all devices connected to it or the Netgear.

A factory reset of an unlocked HG612 does not lose the unlocked firmware. It merely reverts it to the settings that it had immediately after the unlocked one was flashed in.

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 12-Oct-15 12:23:32)

Standard User SteelArt
(learned) Mon 12-Oct-15 12:29:45
Print Post

I thought you had gone!
Just to put you straight, the "third box" refers to necessity of a switch if only 3 lan ports are in fact available.
"Another box to give me that port back is really a no-no due to space and well, that's 3 boxes for one connection."
"hard reset"

If you insist on trolling please try to keep up.

Edited by SteelArt (Mon 12-Oct-15 12:32:14)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 12-Oct-15 12:53:52
Print Post

No switch needed. LAN1 and LAN2 are on a switch.

Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 14-Oct-15 10:03:52
Print Post

Just to put you straight, the "third box" refers to necessity of a switch if only 3 lan ports are in fact available.
"Another box to give me that port back is really a no-no due to space and well, that's 3 boxes for one connection."

Whilst I can appreciate that three boxes to do what can be done with one consumer grade router feels like overkill, some of us have house networks that consist of much more than three boxes.

I replaced our main house switch last week with a ZyXEL GS1920-48HP 48 port Gigabit switch supporting 802.3at Power over Ethernet. The previous 24 port switch had suffered a fan failure, had run out of ports and had several single port Power over Ethernet midspan injectors sat on the top, also it was very noisy.

The 48 port switch connects over a pair of redundant fibre connections to a 24 port switch in the server room in the garage.

Once you start providing network connections to TV boxes, media players, wireless access points, VoIP devices, print servers and UPSes, it's surprising how many ports you need. We are proposing to deploy IP CCTV in the future.

Standard User awontroba
(learned) Thu 15-Oct-15 14:37:51
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

My, that is an impressive home network. Envy!

--
Adrian
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to