Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 20-Nov-15 12:20:10
Print Post

Re: Suitable modem for FTTC

[re: gilesp] [link to this post]

Once you unlock the HG612, which you could do in advance, you will be able to see the full line stats. From that you/we can make a judgement as to whether the router module in it is likely to slow the throughput. I would trust BatBoy on the ~65Mbps figure.

Assuming a full 80Mbps sync it seems likely, but would it matter enough to fork out for something better?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 20-Nov-15 12:22:48
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
The HG612 is fine - it will easily cope with those speeds.
Don't forget it's the throughput in modem/router mode that is in question. The standard bridged modem-only mode is not an issue smile.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 20-Nov-15 12:23:19)

Standard User gilesp
(regular) Fri 20-Nov-15 15:16:19
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

There are advantages to having a separate router, in that if I were to get a wireless router I can locate it away from the modem for better coverage (I have plenty of CAT5a infrastructure to support this).

If I also designate it the DHCP server then if I need to reset/reboot the modem, I don't have DHCP dropping out which does cause headaches on my network occasionally.

To get things started, I think I'll keep it simple, and maybe ask santa for a nice wireless router later on.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 20-Nov-15 16:59:15
Print Post

"Good Thinking"

I personally prefer to keep my Modem and Router as separate units for various reasons including those you have identified. Let the modem concentrate on dealing with the line and outside world whilst the router manages all the local network, switching and WiFi.

It also allows you to choose a router based on the functionality that YOU want and not be restricted to the few with an inbuilt modem.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User gilesp
(regular) Wed 25-Nov-15 14:04:06
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I ordered/won a HG612 on ebay last week - unfortunately it seems to have disappeared in the post, as it's now several days overdue. The engineer will be switching the line over on the 1st Dec, so I' starting to get a bit twitchy about not having any hardware on my end of it.

So I'm now weighing up a new 'all in one' wifi/modem/routers as an alternative, which I can get delivered quickly (from Amazon), yet also relegate to just wifi/routing if/when the HG612 shows up.

The Billion 8800 ticks most of the boxes, but there are a few complaints about the wifi performance. Whereas the TPlink W9980 N600 seems to have better wireless performance for a similar cost. it's also wall-mountable which is a bonus for me.

One comment on the forums here is the chipset in the TP Link is Lantiq - does anyone know how well it will interact with Talk-talk infrastructure (they're the wholesale supplier my ISP uses in my area)?? There's also a note about a Firmware update to work with G.INP (whatever that is) - is this likely to be a problem?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 25-Nov-15 18:49:00
Print Post

What TalkTalk uses for ADSL2+ LLU is irrelevant to FTTC, which uses Openreach DSLAMs in the cabinet. Do you know if it is a Huawei or ECI?

G.INP is a better error-overcoming fix on FTTC than the previous pure interleaving and error-correction. Where the latter costs several Mbps downstream speed and adds at least 8ms to latency, G.INP normally doesn't cost sync or latency.

Standard User gilesp
(regular) Wed 25-Nov-15 21:08:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
What TalkTalk uses for ADSL2+ LLU is irrelevant to FTTC, which uses Openreach DSLAMs in the cabinet. Do you know if it is a Huawei or ECI?

good point. No idea what's in the cabinet.

G.INP is a better error-overcoming fix on FTTC than the previous pure interleaving and error-correction. Where the latter costs several Mbps downstream speed and adds at least 8ms to latency, G.INP normally doesn't cost sync or latency.

thanks - every day is a school day.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 25-Nov-15 23:42:11
Print Post

Pictures of PCPs and FTTC cabinets. There is a combined one in use in some BDUK areas but I don't know what's inside it.

Standard User awontroba
(learned) Thu 26-Nov-15 06:09:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Pictures of PCPs and FTTC cabinets. There is a combined one in use in some BDUK areas but I don't know what's inside it.

There is a picture and diagram of the Huawai "All in one" at the bottom of http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/fttc-cabinets.htm

My FTTC comes from one.

--
Adrian
Standard User gilesp
(regular) Thu 26-Nov-15 07:59:53
Print Post

Useful reference - thanks!
On my street corner , we've got a regular oldish PCP with a new green cabinet next to it which looks a lot like the Huawei 288 cabinet on your linked page.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to