Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 04-Apr-16 12:08:52
Print Post

Re: BT HomeHub 5 model A vs model B

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

You mean both of the 2 devices are faulty...
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 04-Apr-16 12:38:01
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
You mean both of the 2 devices are faulty...

The issues identified are:
1) The 2.4 Ghz network disappears ie a network scan will no longer show it. Only a reboot fixes.

2) Even with a full signal, clients connected to 5 Ghz (it seems more likely) will on occasion just stop working until disconnected/connected

I have had 2 HH5As at home and 1 HH5A at work, all 3 have never exhibited this behaviour. So yes, if the user is seeing this on 2 devices, they have been very unfortunate and the device is likely to be faulty. This behaviour is not standard and not representative of the HH5A.

If we are to assume that all HH5As have the WiFi network disappearing all together and the WiFi connection dropping even with full signal, I think we would see a lot of complaints and BT would have some serious issues as an ISP.

Also, on the 3 HH5As I have used, using a modem has not been necessary to alleviate the load...

Edited by ukhardy07 (Mon 04-Apr-16 12:38:20)

Standard User planetf1
(experienced) Tue 05-Apr-16 14:53:52
Print Post

Clearly unlucky frown

The 2.4Ghz disappearance has been verified with 2 hubs, multiple clients, and with someone else at my property. However both were on backlevel sw (june 2015) so current sw may be the answer. The 5Ghz challenges may..be down to 5Ghz coverage

Just to update you guys on status... I'm waiting for a response back from BT (be it software update or replacement HH 5a/b). In the meantime I opted to order a TP-link archer VR900 which I'm evaluating (30 day return), and will let the DSL line stabalize wrt DLM for a few days/week, so no more experiments. If I do go back I'll likely focus on using the HG612 as modem again just to make it safer to experiment with other changes to the router without invoking DLM.

I posted my first thoughts on the VR900 to another thread - http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/dslrouter/t/4474960...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Wed 06-Apr-16 17:46:33
Print Post

[re: planetf1] [link to this post]

I am just thinking, perhaps you do not even have the firmware from 2015 which was designed to solve the reboots and wifi drop outs.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/02/uk-isp-...

If you literally got the HomeHub out the box and immediately changed settings, there is a strong likelihood new firmware would not have been applied.

Can I check, do you run the HH5A with all default settings? I know with mine, it never gets firmware upgrades since I changed settings such as the SSID, Channel Smart setup and some others. I have been unable to pinpoint which settings have stopped me getting the firmware updates, and every so often I leave the HH5A for a month or so with all factory settings, it then gets a firmware upgrade.

Are you by any chance on 4.7.5.1.83.8.204 firmware, this ones got known issues with WiFi dropping out if a configuration change is not remotely applied?

Edited by ukhardy07 (Wed 06-Apr-16 17:51:35)

Standard User planetf1
(experienced) Thu 07-Apr-16 08:30:35
Print Post

Yes, I was still using *204, though since the config change is likely hidden one it's hard to say whether that first fix was one I had.

A good tip on leaving the HH5A with no config changes. No I didn't ever do that, I'd change the SSID at a minimum, usually had some static IPs, configure DDNS. Not much else (it's limited anyway). The problem description fits though.

That being said I'm going to leave the new TPlink VR900 in-situ for now. It seems totally stable (only been in 3 days) and wifi coverage is MUCH better, and wireless performance is totally stable/consistent
Standard User epyon
(experienced) Mon 11-Apr-16 20:35:39
Print Post

[re: planetf1] [link to this post]

Just ordered BT again hope i get a stable router lol

i guess they are still shipping HH5A or only Bs now?

BT Infinity 2 - 80/20
BT Mobile - 4G
BT Mobile 4G Speedtest
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 11-Apr-16 20:36:54
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

A's and B's wink
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 11-Apr-16 20:54:00
Print Post

I got a type A in December 2015 and a Type A 3 weeks ago.

I think you'll be fine smile
Standard User EddyTheDog
(regular) Mon 11-Apr-16 21:12:29
Print Post

Joined BT in october 2015 and got a type B.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 11-Apr-16 21:13:51
Print Post

[re: EddyTheDog] [link to this post]

Are you on a Huawei cabinet?
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to