Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User stulda
(newbie) Thu 28-Apr-16 12:52:00
Print Post

Re: Which VDSL Modem?

[re: stulda] [link to this post]

I knew I could count on the great help of this forum. Thank you for all the findings and recommendations. Now that we established that the cabinet is indeed a Huawei make,
Should I just go with the HG612 VDSL2 modem or get theTP-Link W9970 suggested by MrSaffron? They both cost roughly the same though I already have a decent router. Would there be any difference in terms of the speed/stability/latency, or even some complications pairing it with my 7800DXL?
Standard User ggremlin
(experienced) Thu 28-Apr-16 13:04:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by stulda:
Should I just go with the HG612 VDSL2 modem or get theTP-Link W9970
I would go for the TP link one, since its new, with warranty.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 28-Apr-16 13:06:55
Print Post

[re: ggremlin] [link to this post]

I think the Zyxel is a much better device than the TPLink, given that Zen supply them.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User stulda
(newbie) Sat 30-Apr-16 21:25:13
Print Post

All the advice is very much appreciated.
I'm checking out the suggested modem/routers and might have to toss a coin in the end smile
However,
Would anyone know the difference(s) between the
ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10D?

It seems that the B10A costs about twice as much.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 30-Apr-16 21:43:56
Print Post

Looks like the B10A supports ATA https://www.zyxel.com/za/en/ProductTab.shtml?pid=201...
Standard User stulda
(newbie) Sat 30-Apr-16 22:14:47
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

@BatBoy thanks for the info.

All your suggestions are great and I simply cannot decide.
I written off the old Openreach HG612 modem @baby_frogmella suggested simply because it usually comes locked, so that some line stats are not accessible (though it's possible to retrieve it and even hack, which itself would be a hassle I suppose) and also read that there will be no more support for the modem.

So it's between the TP-Link W9970 and ZyXEL VMG1312-B so far.

I also learned that the ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A (which is twice the price) does not support jumbo frames, vectoring and g.imp. Not sure about the other variant.
Standard User gt94sss2
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 30-Apr-16 22:31:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by stulda:
I also learned that the ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A (which is twice the price) does not support jumbo frames, vectoring and g.imp. Not sure about the other variant.

Not sure where you get that from - it supports vectoring and g.inp. The datasheet is at ftp://ftp.zyxel.com/VMG1312-B10A/datasheet/VMG1312-B... and its the default modem supplied by A&A

As does the B10D model (ftp://ftp.zyxel.com/VMG1312-B10D/datasheet/VMG1312-B10D_1.pdf)

Edited by gt94sss2 (Sat 30-Apr-16 22:34:48)

Standard User stulda
(newbie) Sat 30-Apr-16 22:38:03
Print Post

[re: gt94sss2] [link to this post]

I mentioned these two variants specifically as I decided to go with A&A as my new ISP! Can't wait for my new line to be up and running.
I've been chatting with the rep and that's what I was told. I'm glad both variants supports it. Thank you for correcting me.
So I take it the B10D is a newer one. But why does the older one costs twice as much?
Standard User gt94sss2
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 30-Apr-16 22:57:37
Print Post

I think its as the B10D version has a different chipset - the BCM63381 designed for budget modems (the same as the TP-Link W9970) while the B10A has the Broadcom 63168 chipset

It might be worth you looking at http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=14436.0

Edited by gt94sss2 (Sat 30-Apr-16 22:59:51)

Standard User stulda
(newbie) Sat 30-Apr-16 23:02:20
Print Post

[re: gt94sss2] [link to this post]

Excellent info!
Thank you @gt94sss2

I'm just reading some more info here: http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,17575.0.html
Still can't decide which one to go for. Provided I could get the B10A supplied by my ISP for quite a lot cheaper than buying it separately.

PS: Hope I do not break any rules by posting the links to other forums.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to