Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 11-Jul-16 19:21:04
Print Post

Re: Whats involved with a fibre self install?

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

Good plan. It will just work with vdsl.

Use the Ginp Formula to determine if your vdsl2 connection is with or without G.INP.
Divide your IP Profile by your Sync Speed and the answer is 0.9669 (with) or 0.9679 (without)

Edited by BatBoy (Mon 11-Jul-16 19:22:05)

Standard User Arksun76
(newbie) Mon 11-Jul-16 20:00:39
Print Post

Self Install means no engineer enters your premises, its all done externally.

For fibre its highly recommended you connect the modem directly to your master socket.

If your BT Master box already has an RJ11/45 socket built into it you're pretty much good to go.

If however its your typical NTE5 master with just a standard telephone socket, whilst you could just use the modem supplied dsl/phone splitter accessory that plugs into that phone socket, you are far better off buying an Openreach MK3 faceplate to attach to your master socket, as this will give far better results.

I noticed prior to using a MK3 faceplate I was getting around 50-250 packet errors a day, which actually isn't bad, but once I installed the faceplate and connected directly to its RJ11/45 port, my errors went down to 0, and are still at 0 after 10 days and counting.

Your download speed will mostly likely improve as well. You can order the Openreach MK3 faceplate off Amazon. It's dead simple to install, no need to mess with any wiring you just unscrew the existing faceplate part of the NTE5 box off, slot the MK3 faceplate in between and screw back in over the top smile
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 11-Jul-16 20:11:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by Banger:
I haven't got time to unlock it, will just wait for vdsl.
Ah dammit!

Sorry again. As Realalemadrid has pointed out, and I now remember BatBoy queried me about a couple of days ago but I forgot, you do need to unlock the HG612. Not because it doesn't train down - it does as you can see from the solid green light - but because the default setting is to PTM not ATM.

So it is sync'ing on ADSLx but the protocol from the ISP is ATM and isn't getting through the PTM setting to your ATM-requiring router.

As in I can listen to a Chinese man talking Chinese, but I have no idea what he is saying. The ISP and HG612 can hear each other but not understand each other.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59500/14989kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 11-Jul-16 20:56:01
Print Post

[re: Arksun76] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Arksun76:
Self Install means no engineer enters your premises, its all done externally.

For fibre its highly recommended you connect the modem directly to your master socket.

If your BT Master box already has an RJ11/45 socket built into it you're pretty much good to go.

If however its your typical NTE5 master with just a standard telephone socket, whilst you could just use the modem supplied dsl/phone splitter accessory that plugs into that phone socket, you are far better off buying an Openreach MK3 faceplate to attach to your master socket, as this will give far better results.

I noticed prior to using a MK3 faceplate I was getting around 50-250 packet errors a day, which actually isn't bad, but once I installed the faceplate and connected directly to its RJ11/45 port, my errors went down to 0, and are still at 0 after 10 days and counting.

Your download speed will mostly likely improve as well. You can order the Openreach MK3 faceplate off Amazon. It's dead simple to install, no need to mess with any wiring you just unscrew the existing faceplate part of the NTE5 box off, slot the MK3 faceplate in between and screw back in over the top smile

What if I have an ADSLNation ADSL faceplate fitted already with rj11 and rj45 sockets?

Tim
www.xilo.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg LLU
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 11-Jul-16 20:58:10
Print Post

Then just plug and play

Use the Ginp Formula to determine if your vdsl2 connection is with or without G.INP.
Divide your IP Profile by your Sync Speed and the answer is 0.9669 (with) or 0.9679 (without)
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 11-Jul-16 20:59:55
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Will a Mk3 plate be better?

Tim
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 11-Jul-16 21:07:52
Print Post

Possibly, it has more filters and it's meant for VDSL.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 11-Jul-16 21:37:15
Print Post

Methinks you stopped reading an earlier post of mine wink:-
In reply to a post by RobertoS:
... but would add that if and when FTTC does arrive at your house then although your ADSL Nation faceplate will work it would be optimal to replace it with an Openreach VDSL2 Mk3 interstitial filter plate and refit your original NTE5A to the front of that, if you still have it.

The reason being that the newer VDSL2 filter plate is to a higher spec and removes a wider range of noise spectrum from the phone wiring side being fed back onto the line.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 11-Jul-16 21:55:39
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Suck it and see in 5 months, plates are relatively easy to come by.

Tim
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 12-Jul-16 08:49:21
Print Post

Yep.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to