Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User NBK
(experienced) Fri 09-Sep-16 22:43:13
Print Post

Re: BT Smart Hub accessories...

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Yeah my own Huawei modem has its modem cable router underneath a pair of mains sockets and above/on 2x8 way extension then over the router...space limited so it's the only way I can

The new smarthub has an NBK fitted cat5e* extension run around the top of the skirting board...past a PC, above an 8 way power strip, underneath mains sockets to where it lives...but again needs must :| (although that'll be shortened a couple of feet when i get a different 2 gang wall socket and telephone module!)

Currently Plusnet "80/20" FTTC
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 09-Sep-16 23:52:02
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

On ADSLx, on a fairly new master > 8 metre wire to gable junction > new drop wire to pole, I bought an ADSL Nation XTE-5 and one of their better quality ADSL cables hoping to improve my ~5Mbps connection to O2 LLU.

At the time I was using a dangly filter, one of 8 or 10 from many router supplies, and one of the associated DSL cables. I was able to test exhaustively as on O2 LLU DLM was not enabled after the initial few days.

By exhaustively I mean methodically changing the filters with the same DSL cable, then with the top one changing the DSL cable.

I then compared this result with the XTE-5 plus posh DSL cable, and XTE-5 with all DSL cables.

I did this twice on different days.

The XTE-5 and posh cable have been in their received packaging in a drawer ever since. It wasn't worth the hassle and possible cost of returning them for a refund. I used the best cable/dangly combo until I got the VDSL2 interstitial filter for FTTC and IIRC used the HG612 DSL cable. I consistently got 170-200kbps better on most combos. A few were below the ADSL Nation variants.

In particular the posh DSL cable was a liability.

Very near by is the DECT phone base station. the power for that is from a 4-way socket on something like a 10m lead from the mains socket, and the modem is plugged into another 4-way fed from the first. Printer and shredder permanently lugged into the first, router into the second. Local laptop occasionally also into the second.

(Hmmm - what else is plugged in? IIRC I have two spare sockets, but that gives three).

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User NBK
(experienced) Sat 10-Sep-16 11:31:52
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

wait so the posh cat5/6 cable had worse performance than the standard grey cable?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 10-Sep-16 12:15:15
Print Post

[re: NBK] [link to this post]

I guess by posh you mean ethernet? Ethernet cable performs differently to telephone cable on a telephone connection - figures.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 10-Sep-16 12:29:07
Print Post

I said "posh DSL cable". Not Cat5/6. I can't remember the ADSL Nation blurb, but it was supposed to be better than the ones normally received with modems and modem/routers.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User NBK
(experienced) Sat 10-Sep-16 12:36:16
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

i said cat5 because the current ADSLnation ones say it's to that standard

It's still surprising it would perform worse...strange

Standard User NBK
(experienced) Sat 10-Sep-16 12:37:23
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

doesn't really figure when there's more twists to reduce crosstalk with decent solid copper wire...you'd expect less noise, the only thing I can think of why that shouldnt be the case is poor termination otherwise it doesnt make much sense

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 10-Sep-16 14:41:01
Print Post

The twists aren't to reduce crosstalk, they are to enhance common mode rejection.
Standard User NBK
(experienced) Sat 10-Sep-16 15:36:42
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Twisted pair cabling is a type of wiring in which two conductors of a single circuit are twisted together for the purposes of canceling out electromagnetic interference (EMI) from external sources; for instance, electromagnetic radiation from unshielded twisted pair (UTP) cables, and crosstalk between neighboring pairs.

That's basically what I was taught when I was being trained for data cabling

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 10-Sep-16 15:48:49
Print Post

There's only one pair for a telephone
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to