Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 17-Oct-16 22:11:26
Print Post

Re: Poor performance on 5Ghz

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

Can you link me or tell me the router you are using and the USB dongle model by any chance?

EDIT: 54Mbps speed sounds like the dongle is not AC compatible... Is the dongle AC compatible or wireless ABGN?

Edited by ukhardy07 (Mon 17-Oct-16 22:12:56)

Standard User alexatkin
(regular) Tue 18-Oct-16 00:28:08
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

The dongle can make a huge difference.

I have two USB dongles, one TPLink and one unbranded. They both are the identical chipset and physically they are the same size with the LED in the same place, most likely the same PCB.

However, the TPLink one is great, the generic one has dreadful signal reception especially on 5Ghz. It reduces the link rate quite dramatically within only a few feet of the router.

Also, look for a dongle with at least 2x2 MIMO. It allows two concurrent transmissions for twice the link rate. But more importantly, it gives you a better chance of a good signal as even though the antenna are close together one may be blocked while the other gets a decent signal.

The best option if is your laptop has an internal WiFi card that can be replaced. The internal cards have a much stronger signal and far better reception than any USB dongle in my experience.
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 18-Oct-16 12:32:10
Print Post

Both are N, generic ralink dual band dongle and Asus DSL-N55U router which is not AC as its a couple of years old.

Tim
www.xilo.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg LLU
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Tue 18-Oct-16 12:51:21
Print Post

Based on your hardware I do not think you will find amazing increases using 5Ghz.
Because it's wirelsss N and 300Mbps max at 5Ghz, the speed gains of using this band drop off really soon. You only begin at 300. AC routers such as BTs can deliver (connected rate not throughput) 1200Mbps in the same room, around 600 through one wall and 300ish through 2 walls. That's in my home.

Even at one wall distance you may find 2.4Ghz negotiates at a better rate with your device. It hardly becomes worth worrying about unless you are in the same room or just a paper thin wall away.

If you really want to get onto 5Ghz I would get an AC1600 device and then AC dongles which support 3 stream mimo on wireless AC.

I wouldn't bother trying to upgrade your current setup, personally I'd hold off and switch to AC in future.
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 18-Oct-16 14:17:05
Print Post

I understand. I just received another generic dual band (black) dongle and 5g is still only getting 54m next to the router. My Panasonic TV gets 162m on 5g and thats downstairs. Last try I have ordered an Asus N600 dongle, see if that has better 5g performance.

Tim
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 18-Oct-16 15:42:09
Print Post

I have got 300m out of the generic dongle by setting the router to "N only" instead of auto or N/AC mixed but the lag is terrible and this is next to the router. Downstairs it connects randomly at 13.5-27m so its driving me nuts. See what the Asus dongle does.

Edit: Been playing with my Panasonic TV, 2.4g has 5 bars but 5g only has 3 bars signal strength, but 5g connects at 160m whereas 2.4g only connects at 108m. Wifi is peculiar.

Tim

Edited by Banger (Tue 18-Oct-16 18:14:26)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 19-Oct-16 20:10:37
Print Post

Finally managed to fix it. I did the 2 netsh commands,

netsh winsock reset catalog (Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults)
netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log (Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults)

then in the settings app I selected Network & Internet then Wi-Fi then Manage Known Networks and then I selected Forget the network and then I rebooted.

After the reboot I connected to the network again and entered the security password, but the network was now Public

So I started up the Homegroup troubleshooter and this set the network to Private, then I exited out.

And it's all working again, connecting at 433Mbps.
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 20-Oct-16 14:07:52
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I am currently waiting for an Asus N53 dongle to be delivered. I tried the forget network option but speed didnt increase only able to connect at 54m.

Tim
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 20-Oct-16 15:21:49
Print Post

To be future proof you'd have been better buying something that support N and the latest AC standard, so that when you move to an AC router you're set. Here you'll need to change the dongle again when you go AC.

I would consider returning and getting something future proof.
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 20-Oct-16 17:22:48
Print Post

Noted but not planning on dumping my N router just yet. Although it seems to include AC on the 5g wireless options so I am not sure it does just N or AC as well! The dongle was only a tenner. If I get a couple of years out of it it will be worth it.

Tim
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to