Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Doccy
(regular) Mon 27-Mar-17 13:54:01
Print Post

Re: Netgear D6400 - will this be fine with FTTC?

[re: fishpan] [link to this post]

: )

Thanks.

So DOES VDSL compatibility in the spec sheet of a modem router also mean VDSL2 compatibility?

I'll assume yes, given the responses above. But interestingly, a Google search shows nowhere actually states that simple fact.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 27-Mar-17 13:55:19
Print Post

[re: fishpan] [link to this post]

I think the reference was to the fact the tech specs specifically state:

VDSL2, ADSL2+

On the tech specs tab on the page the OP linked to. I agree they may have missed it and it didn't need that level of response but the answer was actually on the provided link...
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 27-Mar-17 13:56:16
Print Post

[re: Doccy] [link to this post]

Probably - but the tech specs specifically do say "VDSL2" so that would confirm it. Look at the second tab a little down the page on the link you sent (Tech Specs). The modem line confirms it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 27-Mar-17 13:57:45
Print Post

Yes and spec sheet does mention VDSL2 specifically.

Sorry if some responses were a bit much for a Monday, but one of the problems with online posting can be the way that peoples humour gets lost in the typing

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Doccy
(regular) Mon 27-Mar-17 14:00:28
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

You're right - I missed that.
The leaflet in the box definitely doesn't mention it, and so I didn't peruse the online specs list very closely.
Apologies all around.
Standard User cymru123
(regular) Mon 27-Mar-17 14:03:22
Print Post

That modem router has a ADSL2+ (ITU G.992.5) and VDSL2 (TU G.993.2) which are backward compatible with earlier standards.

For example it can support the following standards (may be missing some):
ADSL G.DMT (ITU G.992.1)
ADSL2 (ITU G.992.3)
ADSL2+ (ITU G.992.5)

VDSL (ITU G.993.1)
VDSL2 (ITU G.993.2)

Also, the FTTC DSLAMs provide the majority of the connections over the VDSL2 (ITU G.993.2) thesedays rather than the the VDSL (ITU G.993.1).
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 27-Mar-17 14:17:20
Print Post

Worth noting as I have this router. For VDSL this router does not support BTs IPv6, not sure which ISP you have... Certainly it does work on BT but ipv4 only. This was a deal breaker for me so it sits in a box.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 27-Mar-17 14:21:05
Print Post

Another bit of friendly humour ... I very much doubt if you are currently on ADSL. Though there is a slight chance.

It's more likely you are on ADSL2+, which isn't mentioned in the heading part of your link either. smile

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65618/13914Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 27-Mar-17 14:46:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by Doccy:
Apologies all around.

Don't think apologies are that necessary to be honest, easy to overlook and the "RTFS" comment I think was a standard IT style response to questions that are answered in the documentation and I doubt was meant in a particularly rude manner... All comes down to how things come over in writing whereas in person it likely would have been a much shorter and calmer conversation.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to