Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User AlistairS
(member) Sat 29-Dec-18 10:29:19
Print Post

VM to Plusnet ADSL - Hardware recomendation

[link to this post]

Signed up for Plusnet ADSL as moving home soon. Will be going from VM 200 down to Plusnet 7Mbps frown (guaranteed) I currently use an ASUS AC66U having the VM in modem only mode.

I have an old Openreach Modem could this be used with my AC66U for ADSL on PN?

Alternatively looking for recommendations of hardware that would be futureproof if I move back to a fibre area somewhere down the line

Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 29-Dec-18 10:48:19
Print Post

Re: VM to Plusnet ADSL - Hardware recomendation

[re: AlistairS] [link to this post]

Future proof is impossible to predict without actually knowing what exact technology in the future will be available to you

Openreach modems are usually configured for FTTC NOT ADSL/ADSL2+

The Plusnet supplied router will handle the ADSL2+ perfectly well and if the wireless is no good for you, turn that off and use your existing Asus in wireless access point mode

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User AlistairS
(member) Sat 29-Dec-18 10:50:31
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the post. I completed the order yesterday and didn't take the free hardware so I guess I need another solution

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 29-Dec-18 10:55:09
Print Post

Well the Plusnet modem would have been the cheapest way

I use a https://amzn.to/2CFiBMs TPLink cheap modem/router in its bridge (modem mode) on my FTTC line but will also do ADSL2+ It is a broadcom chipset so if you shift to FTTC in the future it will be fine.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User AlistairS
(member) Sat 29-Dec-18 10:58:46
Print Post

thanks
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 29-Dec-18 11:21:09
Print Post

I believe the Openreach HG612s had the common all train-down options ticked Andrew. I did use the asbokid-flashed firmware which certainly did, and he claimed that all he altered was the lockdown setting/telnet enabling.

But I certainly donít recommend anyone buying one these days. Very old design and rubbish compared to the later stuff.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests 35-45Mpbs down, 9-15 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 29-Dec-18 11:22:18)

Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Sat 29-Dec-18 11:53:34
Print Post

I would just buy a cheap as chips Draytek 120 adsl2 modem such as this for now and hook that up to your AC66U.

Otherwise you could go for a Asus DSL-AC88U but its probably overkill for an adsl line. Though it is FTTC and G.fast compatible so future proof to a degree.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User AlistairS
(member) Sat 29-Dec-18 12:00:26
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

thanks, the other option i was thinking of was a 2nd hand billion modem/router. i seem to remember they were good for adsl/2+
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Sat 29-Dec-18 12:12:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by AlistairS:
thanks, the other option i was thinking of was a 2nd hand billion modem/router. i seem to remember they were good for adsl/2+

Yeah, worth considering a Billion 7800N. These have a legendary status for use on ADSL lines, they use a rock solid Broadcom chipset and allow you to alter the SNR to squeeze every last drop out of your line. Quite cheap too, around £10-15 on ebay.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User Malwaremike
(committed) Sat 29-Dec-18 14:01:59
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

I found the PN routers TG582 and later PN Hub were just as fast (7-8 Mb) as my new Billion 7800 costing £80 -- and went back to PN when the Billion wireless card burned out just as its warranty expired. I then found this is a common problem. If I found a Billion for £10 max. I might try it, but on my experience it makes no difference to speed although the wifi might be a little better. This doesn't matter as we use deVolo extenders. Good luck!
  Print Thread

Jump to