Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User aks
(committed) Sun 30-Dec-18 01:12:19
Print Post

Netgear D7000v2 WiFi stability

[link to this post]

I purchased a D7000v2 (the v2 is important) a month ago - Amazon black Friday for £89. However, whilst throughput appears to be unaffected by 'buffering' (experienced on PN router), I *have* experienced total loss of communication on both 2.4G and 5G WiFI networks. On devices, WiFi appears to be connected, but 'no internet' is reported by the device in use, i.e. phone or tablet. However, wired devices are working fine, so internet connection is not the issue. Switching WiFi off/ on the device in use sorts it out. It happens infrequently, but often enough to be annoying - and not what I want at all!

D7000v7 firmware is V1.0.0.51_1.0.1, apparently this is the latest.

Basic question, would the D7000v2 router be recommended here, or an alternative?

Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra connection, my old PN supplied router (Plusnet Hub One, circa April 2017) was suffering with buffering issues, and I also thought I'd get better WiFi range with the D7000. I've not seen any specific line stability issues in a few years, so I don't think it's outside my home!

---
Tony
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Sun 30-Dec-18 11:03:45
Print Post

Re: Netgear D7000v2 WiFi stability

[re: aks] [link to this post]

Have you tried using fixed wireless channels on the 2.4 and 5ghz bands? From experience 'auto' channel selection on routers doesn't always work well, you're better off choosing a manual channel. Try channel 6 on 2.4ghz and channel 44 on the 5ghz band. Leave channel width as auto or 20/40/80 mhz. Also might be worth trying the higher powered DFS channels (>100) on the 5ghz band if available, though DFS isn't recommended if you live near an airport/airfield as the router will automatically kick you off DFS d/t radar interference.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User adrenalize_
(newbie) Sun 30-Dec-18 13:47:55
Print Post

The D7000v2 seems to be one of Netgears routers with issues - google their forums and a lot of people complain of stability problems on wifi and internet.

The D7000v1 was rock solid ( I had one for several years).

I often find with Netgear if the issues aren't solved in a couple of FW releases they never will be as development timescales are so short they've moved on.

If I was in your shoes I'd return and go for a different one. If you like Netgear I think others have god experience with D7800, or a a D7000V1 if you can find one.

Others like the TP Link Archer series.

(The only reason I didin't keep mine is I've gone for a separate router & modem so when I'm playing about the modem maintains sync).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User aks
(committed) Sun 30-Dec-18 14:30:36
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Yes I scanned the local wireless networks to observe congestion last week, ch1 was crowded and yet it was still what the D7000v2 still held on to on auto. I had changed them to ch11 and ch120 hoping this would stop the freezing issue, but it hasn't gone away.

I have now disabled beam forming too - I read somewhere that this can cause problems.

---
Tony
Standard User aks
(committed) Sun 30-Dec-18 14:35:03
Print Post

[re: adrenalize_] [link to this post]

Thanks, and I may well send it back if it doesn't settle down. A friend had a D7000v1, and it was indeed rock solid. I just wonder how Netgear can screw up the D7000v2 so much, and I agree they likely have moved on so fixes are not likely.

The D7800 is £200, roughly double the price I paid for the D7000v2, so I'm not immediately tempted. I might consider alternatives.

---
Tony
(knowledge is power) Sun 30-Dec-18 15:15:30
Print Post

In that case return the D7000 for a refund (if you can) and get the TP Link VR900v2 instead for £99.99. Its a great router for the money.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Connections-UK-Archer-VR900...

Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 31-Dec-18 09:47:38
Print Post

Have you got different SSIDs for the 2.4 and 5Ghz bands? With some other routers this can help with wifi stability.
Standard User aks
(committed) Mon 31-Dec-18 10:15:43
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Yes different SSIDs already configured from the start.

---
Tony
Standard User aks
(committed) Mon 31-Dec-18 10:20:06
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

I would do that in a flash, but I read the Amazon review and then did a bit more research and it seems that TP Link VR900v2 has many WiFi issues. It really seems that the manufacturers have not ironed out the 'glitches' yet - and since these units are 'mature' I am concerned they never will! But, if the D7000v7 fails again, then it is going back and I will try your suggestion.

---
Tony
(knowledge is power) Mon 31-Dec-18 10:34:14
Print Post

In reply to a post by aks:
I read the Amazon review and then did a bit more research and it seems that TP Link VR900v2 has many WiFi issues.

Utter rubbish, the VR900v2 is one of the best 3x3 routers for wifi. I think its fair to say every router on Amazon - no matter how good or bad - will get poor reviews. You have to remember some users on Amazon won't be good with technical things, so if they've set up the router incorrectly and it doesn't work properly, its far easier to blame the router.

Linksys EA9500v2

Edited by baby_frogmella (Mon 31-Dec-18 10:37:16)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to