Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 13-Jan-19 23:03:39
Print Post

Re: Modem for better sync

[re: oldskool] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by oldskool:
ok thanks
Is it possible that moving ports with a provider switch can affect sync?

Yes but if you are just moving provider (migrating) from an FTTC / VDSL service to a provider also with an FTTC / VDSL service, then there is no need for Openreach to move your port in the street cabinet.

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m - Sync highest was 61/8 now 54/6
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 14-Jan-19 01:58:45
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

That said when I've moved I've had the DLM reset - so lost G.INP for a week or so

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 14-Jan-19 06:05:37
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I also had a full reset when I moved, which helped me then gain some sync speed. smile

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m - Sync highest was 61/8 now 54/6
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 14-Jan-19 07:21:05
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

AIUI it is a change of Openreach product during migration that causes a DLM reset. I forget whether or not it also occurs on a change of underlying provider, i.e. BT Wholesale, Sky, TT etc., but have the feeling it does.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests 35-45Mpbs down, 9-15 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User adrenalize_
(newbie) Mon 14-Jan-19 08:25:08
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I would imagine it does - probably any new request to Openreach - I went from resold Vodafone to native Vodafone and had a DLM reset (I only really needed to change PPoE creds) - which for me was a shame as my line is very stable and was on a very low SNR (1.8) with very few errors. G.INP came back after a few days, but still waiting a few months later to reduce from an SNR of 6 frown
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Mon 14-Jan-19 11:13:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
AIUI it is a change of Openreach product during migration that causes a DLM reset. I forget whether or not it also occurs on a change of underlying provider, i.e. BT Wholesale, Sky, TT etc., but have the feeling it does.
Well in my experience it doesn't always, I migrated to Zen from PN no loss of sync just PPPoE as you would expect, But that migration was like for like both BT wbmc , If There is a difference such as WBMC to GEA or vice versa it results in a reset, Same i think will apply if the gaining provider uses a different stability profile than the losing provider uses
Standard User broadbandjockey
(member) Mon 14-Jan-19 11:50:32
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

My son's has an uptime of 330 days looking today !

I've just changed my 9 year old Openreach modem for a 9970.

I don't know what I was syncing at before of course, but download speeds were 36-37 ish

I thought I was on a capped 40 Meg service, but this shows max attainable and sync speed to be 47 megs, and I now get speedtest results of 42 ish
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 14-Jan-19 12:38:32
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

I think you have a good point about the possibly differing stability profiles tommy smile. But your point about WBMC v GEA is in effect what I said about underlying providers. All UK FTTC is GEA, (as incidentally is FTTP), but some ISPs use different wholesalers.

GEA is Openreach's implementation of the Ofcom VULA requirements.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests 35-45Mpbs down, 9-15 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User oldskool
(member) Mon 14-Jan-19 16:56:31
Print Post

ok then i'm all set for the switch to PN.

I did find it very strange that my brother who is much closer to the cab has a max attainable rate of 71Mbps but sync's at 58Mbps.

Has has a new filtered faceplate plugged into the master socket.

I'm much further away on my old faceplate (but i cleaned up the wiring and removed the extensions). I have a max rate of 56Mbps and i sync at 55Mbps (Infinity 1 cap).

Anyway, i will trust this will hopefully remain unaffected.

0 errors reported on the TP-Link 9970

I assume a 3db profile is only possible on a G.INP enabled cab? Which mine is not, being an ECI cab.
Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Tue 15-Jan-19 00:00:01
Print Post

[re: oldskool] [link to this post]

If the SNRM is 6dB then it's likely your brothers line is simply interleaved.
Interleaving/INP has a side effect of the max attainable being exaggerated.

If the (downstream) SNRM is around 9-10dB (rough calculation) then your brothers line is banded/capped by the DLM.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to