Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Earlgrey
(newbie) Mon 04-Mar-19 06:42:40
Print Post

HG612 ADSL to VDSL

[link to this post]

Hi,

FTTC goes live for my connection this Wednesday, at the moment i have a unlocked HG612 working on ADSL, when the VDSL goes live will it switch over to VDSL automatically? when setting it up for ADSL i remember having to change its settings manually.

The ISP wont change so the userame & password on the router will stay the same. in an ideal world everything will change over automaticly without me needing to grapple with it in the evening.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 04-Mar-19 17:43:53
Print Post

Re: HG612 ADSL to VDSL

[re: Earlgrey] [link to this post]

If you left auto detect for DSL modulation then it will pick up the change, if you set the modulation to be specifically ADSL or ADSL2+ you will end up with no sync once the switch happens until you tell it to sync using multi-mode or VDSL2

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Realalemadrid
(member) Mon 04-Mar-19 21:49:54
Print Post

A factory reset (hold the reset button for 30 seconds or more) will restore the default configuration which is the required VDSL modem. It will not change from ATM to PTM mode automatically even if multiple xDSL modes are enabled.

Edited by Realalemadrid (Mon 04-Mar-19 22:21:40)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Earlgrey
(newbie) Tue 05-Mar-19 07:00:59
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

Thanks, i Thought as much. It'll have to wait in ATM until i get home and switch it over.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 05-Mar-19 08:57:10
Print Post

Re: HG612 ADSL to VDSL *DELETED*

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

Post deleted by RobertoS
Standard User Drouzer
(newbie) Tue 05-Mar-19 12:22:58
Print Post

It is legal?
Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Tue 05-Mar-19 20:24:50
Print Post

[re: Drouzer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Drouzer:
It is legal?

Why on earth would it not be?

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra - sync 79999/20000 at around 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User Earlgrey
(newbie) Thu 07-Mar-19 07:03:00
Print Post

The connection supposedly went live yesterday at 16:00, I got home 2 hours later and changed to PTM and set the WAN up as per plusnets requirements.

I still have no connection, the modem establishes an ADSL link when plugged in, unticking everything but VDSL2, still no connection.

A BT smart hub /Homehub 6A with plusnet details entered does the same thing, gets ADSL but no VDSL2. plusnet told me becasue the job was only done at 16:00 it might be midnight before it goes live, but they would expedite it and it would be live before that, i left the smarthub plugged in and midnight came and went yet still nothing.

Even this morning after plugging the HG612 there's still just an ADSL it establishes straight away, my understanding is a line swapped over at the cabinet for VDSL shouldn't be able to sync ADSL anymore.

Anyway in case i've made any glaring errors here are the settings the HG612 is currently on

Basic:

ATM - blank/clear of settings

PTM
DSL latency: Path 0
PTM Priortiy - Normal Priority

WAN:

Connection name: PTM1.101
Layer 2 Type: PTM
Service List: Internet
Connection Type: Bridge

Layer two interface: ptm1/(ptm1_0_1)
Wan Connection: Enabled
Service List: Internet
Port binding: LAN 1
Connection Mode: Bridge
Bridge Type: PPPoE_Bridged
DCHP Transparent Transmission: Disabled
WAN 802.1q: Enabled - VLAN ID 101
WAN 802.1p: Enabled - Value 1
LAN 802.1q: Disabled
LAN 802.1p : Disabled

Network:

Connection Status:
Connection Name: Ptm 101.1
Online Duration: 0
Layer2 type: PTM

Thanks.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 07-Mar-19 09:07:01
Print Post

Line stats please. Preferably from a command prompt.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User Realalemadrid
(member) Thu 07-Mar-19 10:20:59
Print Post

If it still gets an ADSL connection you have not yet been changed over to VDSL, you can't have both on the same line.

Have a look at the BT Wholesale availability checker

checker link

Is there any text about an open order on this line with a completion date below all the speed figures?

Plusnet tend to send out e-mails early saying 'your product change has completed' or something similar which means the account type has changed for their admin and billing but the physical work has not yet been done at the cabinet.

I have not checked closely but the HG612 settings look OK. I just think the upgrade has not happened.frown

Edited by Realalemadrid (Thu 07-Mar-19 10:23:25)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to