Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Sat 22-Jun-19 13:24:21
Print Post

Re: To Mesh or Not to Mesh; that is the question?

[re: lexden16] [link to this post]

The fritzbox 7530 is only a 2x2 wifi stream router whilst the OP is thinking of buying a 4x4 stream router such as the Billion 8900AX. The 7530 isn't bad for an ISP supplied router, however there are far better routers out there for wifi coverage. Even the mid-range TP Link VR900 (3x3) is better than the 7530. Also AFAIK Fritzboxes normally use a Lantiq dsl chipset which often doesn't give the best sync rate, especially if connected to a Huawei/Broadcom FTTC cabinet.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2

Edited by baby_frogmella (Sat 22-Jun-19 13:29:39)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 22-Jun-19 13:38:52
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
Also AFAIK Fritzboxes normally use a Lantiq dsl chipset which often doesn't give the best sync rate, especially if connected to a Huawei/Broadcom FTTC cabinet.
The same applies to the HG612 these days, re sync on most lines. Even if it isn't on its last legs and being on sale because of that.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 22-Jun-19 13:39:24)

Standard User Fido
(committed) Sat 22-Jun-19 14:54:18
Print Post

[re: lexden16] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lexden16:
I have used Fritz!Boxes since the days of ADSL. I currently have a Fritz!Box 7590 with a meshed 1750 repeater on a 74/20 FTTC connection, and I am seeing wifi speeds around the house in the high 60s. I particularly like the fact that I get a very low DSL error rate (which is easily monitored on the Fritz!Box), and a connection that remains stable between firmware updates. I also have VOIP connections to the Fritz!Box (more precisely a single VOIP connection with 3 VOIP-enabled DECT phones) and the quality of the calls is excellent. Personally, I would give the 7530 as try, you might be surprised how good it is.

Thank you for that. It is helpful.

Some years ago I was using Fritzbox Routers; I had a Fritzbox 7390 which did not have great Wifi but was generally OK, however, it did not have wireless AC and when I updated to the newer, (at that time), Fritzbox 7490 I found that the Wifi on Fritzbox 7490 I that received was very poor and I sent it back for a refund. - (I never used the phone system on either of them because when I tried it; both routers suffered from ghost calls and background line hiss/noise.- At that time I was with BT and when I changed to the Asus DSL AC68U router it was a much better router and it cost less than the Fritzbox 7490.

That said: I do plan to give the Fritzbox 7530 a fair chance and a good try.

When I wrote about a mesh using Fritzbox Devices I had in mind a system similar to the one that you are using. - ie. A Fritzbox 7590 and a 1759E Repeater and I had also considered incorporating the supplied Fritzbox 7530 within the Fritzbox Mesh with everything being connected to the present homeplugs to try to reduce any Wifi backhaul between them.

The Fritzbox 7590 and a 1759E Repeater pack is available from Amazon UK for about £294 and the Fritzbox 7590 supports extra features such as Supervectoring 35b, (not available in the UK) and 4x4 Multi-User MIMO so it the supplied Fritzbox 7530 works well on the line that could be a viable option.

The combined pack available on Amazon UK is apparently the locked to the German Language Version which is a potentially good and bad thing. - Good because the Fritzbox German Versions get all the updates about a year before the International Versions and bad because my own knowledge of Technical German terms may not be good enough so I would need to buy the International Versions.

Sky Fibre

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User lexden16
(committed) Sat 22-Jun-19 15:02:58
Print Post

[re: Fido] [link to this post]

I purchased my 7590 international version from Fritz.NL. The German version will not work on a UK FTTC Line. Yes, it comes with a Euro Plug which isnít a problem.

My 1750 is the German version. It makes no difference and it is cheaper than the international version. Establishing the mesh is a button press on the Fritz!Box and one on the repeater.
Standard User Fido
(committed) Sat 22-Jun-19 15:30:13
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
You may find a mesh system is overkill for your environment, try a decent single access point/router first and see how you get on. ISP supplied routers usually aren't the best for wifi as they use lower spec radios to save pennies. So give the Billion 8900AX a try first, ignore the negative reviews on Amazon as pretty much every router there usually has negative reviews- often due to incorrect router setup.

The other option I would suggest is use your fritzbox in modem only mode (aka bridge mode) and buy the Netgear R7800 - the R7800 is rated by Tim Higgins as the # 1 router for wifi range/speeds as tested on smallnetbuilder.com. Usually the R7800 retails for £150+ on Amazon but its currently on sale at £130, which is almost a bargain for a high end router. With the money saved you could buy an el cheapo (£10-£20) HG612 vdsl2 modem on ebay if you wanted a smaller modem footprint and keep the Fritzbox as a spare.

Thank you for your assistance.

Some of the WiFi Mesh Systems that I have been looking at appear to want to take over the DCHP functions of the router and I am not really comfortable with that.

Since I would not want a Mesh System to take over all of the DCHP functions of the router I suspect that they would end up as access points and since all of the Mesh systems cannot be connected via the homeplugs and some can I suspect that the ones that can be connected via the homeplugs may be better as they would not have to use a separate Wifi network for their own backhaul. - Perhaps, that is incorrect.

A Fritzbox Mesh system based on the Fritzbox 7590 seems viable since the Fritzbox 7590 uses its own version of 4x4 and MUMIMO and the router and other items would all be included in the mesh controlled by the router but I too am somewhat concerned that the Fritzbox does not use a Broadcom Chipset and I suspect that the Billion 8900ax 2400 would be a better choice but I remain open minded to this and other solutions.

Strong cases have been made for a mesh system and it may be the way forward but at present the Billion 8900ax 2400, (probably supplemented, (if necessary), with the supplied Fritzbox 7530 as an Access Point at the farthest location; is still in pole position.

Sky Fibre
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 22-Jun-19 16:11:45
Print Post

In reply to a post by Fido:
Some of the WiFi Mesh Systems that I have been looking at appear to want to take over the DCHP functions of the router and I am not really comfortable with that.

My parents use a BT Whole Home mesh system, with their ASUS RT-AC87U router, and a HG612 modem. The BT system was needed as the router is located in a corner of the building, so WiFi coverage was problematic. Moving the router was non-trivial. The BT system is very good.

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m - Sync history highest: 64/9 (Sep/17), 54/6 (Jan/19), 51/6 (Mar/19)
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM
Standard User steve25
(newbie) Mon 24-Jun-19 12:46:37
Print Post

I am using a FB7530 together with a FB4040 acting as a mesh repeater (fed via 5Ghz) and very happy with DSL and WiFi performance. Like a previous poster I am also using DECT handsets and a VOIP line (sipgate).
The FB supports IPSec VPN which works well with my iPad for remote access.
Standard User boxst
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 24-Jun-19 21:11:14
Print Post

I am with Zen for FTTP and decided that a mesh network was the best to get WiFi around the house. I bought a FritzBox 7590 and used the 7530 (actually three of them as I had two to hand from Zen and then bought another on eBay) to get WiFi everywhere.

They are connected by Ethernet and we get seamless WiFi throughout the house. Perhaps more importantly the handoff is excellent so you would never know (and no-one does apart from me) that you are being swapped between routers.
Standard User lexden16
(committed) Tue 25-Jun-19 11:31:16
Print Post

[re: boxst] [link to this post]

Another option:

https://frixtender.de/frixtender-fritzbox-wifi-erwei...

Use Google translate.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Tue 25-Jun-19 14:37:51
Print Post

You do not want to connect a mesh system such as the BT Whole Home WiFi over your powerline.

I still strongly disagree one main AP is the best approach, businesses, hotels, airports, large homes all have several APs. If you want good wireless performance either:
1) Run actual ethernet (not powerline) to the APs and run several throughout the home
2) Invest in a Mesh System e.g. BT Whole Home WiFi.

One access point is not the best approach to fix wireless deadspots. You may get marginally better signal with a different AP, but the signal strength will never be that great. It wont go from 0 to 100, more 0 to 20. Having a physical AP closer e.g mesh/individual ethernet APs will take you from 0 to 100 pretty quickly, with a mesh losing a little bit of speed for home transfers e.g. NAS internal transfers, but solid at giving you full ISP provided speeds.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to