Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Fido
(committed) Wed 26-Jun-19 17:16:06
Print Post

Re: To Mesh or Not to Mesh; that is the question?

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
Given the £249 pricetag, are you sure you will get enough use of the extra functionality?

The truthful answer is, (without doubt), definitely no

That said; from what I can tell the Billion 8900ax 2400 should be a good basis to build upon and it should be able to distribute the connection effectively and it may even have enough WiFi range..

I do tend to over engineer things to create spare capacity that may never be needed and I fully accept that it may be a sledge hammer to crack a walnut approach.

If my line was presently running well with the Fritzbox 7530; I may have gone down the Fritzbox Product Mesh or another Mesh System route but at present time my line is running very badly at about half of what it was with Sky with at least 25% a higher attenuation than there was with the Sky Q Router and/or with my previous TP Link VR2800 before the switch over. - (The present speeds are much lower with very erratic speeds and performance).

There is a lot that I do like about the Fritzbox 7530 and I have not completely ruled it out but some of the performance and the speed drop could be the change of router and a Billion 8900ax 2400 will rule that possibility out.

The ISP that I have just joined has a great reputation and I am reasonably confident/hopeful that they will sort it out these much worse than ever speed issues for me but if there is a slight chance that part of the problem is the Fritzbox 7530 Router\Chipset the Broadcom chipset in the Billion 8900ax 2400 should rule that possibility out.

Zen FTTC
Standard User lexden16
(committed) Wed 26-Jun-19 17:57:05
Print Post

[re: Fido] [link to this post]

I am not sure that I would necessarily blame the F!B. My 7590 with OS 7.10 has been rock solid for the past 5 weeks with a very low error rate.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Wed 26-Jun-19 22:00:05
Print Post

Hard to say for sure, when I switched TalkTalk to Sky, I went from 80/20 with TalkTalk, and first day of sync with Sky was 56/20. After approx 3 days of no reboots G.INP was enabled, speeds shot to around 65/20. Then over the course of around 10 days, with no reboots and/or disconnections the SNR went to 5db after approx 3 days, 2 days or there abouts later it went to 4db, 2 days or there abouts later it went to 3db and I'm now back to a 80/20 sync. It is very important to do no reboots/resets/config changes that might drop the sync to get the best speeds as quickly as possible.

Have you been rebooting the router provided or power cycling it?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Fido
(committed) Thu 27-Jun-19 00:28:26
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
Have you been rebooting the router provided or power cycling it?

No reboots or recycles.

At present; I only have the supplied Fritzbox 7530 and the old Sky Q Router, (due to be sent back), and since the connection became useable I have not changed or rebooted the Fritzbox 7530.

The new Billion 8900ax 2400, (that I have ordered), will not arrive until this weekend and I may not install it for a 10 day period to give the connection time to settle as I may just try it, (via one of the Ethernet Ports), as a wireless access point to see how its Wfifi performs.

Zen FTTC

Edited by Fido (Thu 27-Jun-19 11:36:57)

Standard User CrimsonOne
(newbie) Fri 05-Jul-19 22:57:38
Print Post

[re: lexden16] [link to this post]

On the subject of the Asus DSL-88U I've had two here for testing because their owner could not get the 5GHz WiFi to perform. They both exhibited the same issue here, being unable to maintain a connection above 172Mbps!

This contrasts with the Asus RT-AC86U Mesh Master and RT-AC68U Slave connected via a powerline connection which give us 866Mbps on 5GHz and 72Mbps (min) on 2.4GHz throughout the house. Those speeds being limited more by the networked devices than the router(s).
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 06-Jul-19 00:33:13
Print Post

[re: CrimsonOne] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by CrimsonOne:
This contrasts with the Asus RT-AC86U Mesh Master and RT-AC68U Slave connected via a powerline connection which give us 866Mbps on 5GHz and 72Mbps (min) on 2.4GHz throughout the house. Those speeds being limited more by the networked devices than the router(s).
A powerline connection?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User Fido
(committed) Sat 03-Aug-19 16:27:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by Fido:
The new Billion 8900ax 2400, (that I have ordered), will not arrive until this weekend.

I thought that an update may be useful and that is as follows:

Firstly; Sincere thanks to all for the helpful information.

Regarding the Billion 8900AC 2400 router.- It had very poor wifi Range. (Its wifi speeds were OK in the same room but its range was terrible so buying that was an error. - It quickly went back to Amazon).

The modem part of the Billion 8900AC 2400 router was good but the wifi range was absolutely terrible. - (I am not sure why it is considered to have good wifi because the wifi range is far worse than most ISP supplied routers and definitely worse than the supplied Fritzbox 7530).

I eventually bought a new Fritzbox 7590 from fritzshop.nl and I used the supplied Fritzbox 7530 together with another Fritzbox 7530, (that I bought from eBay), as two separate wireless access points via my Homeplug LAN. - This works quite well but it means that I have two more distinct wifi signals but I have separated them from the main router wifi channels.

I did try to mesh the two Fritzbox 7530 up with the main Fritzbox 7590 and it did work to a fashion but the wifi was slower with the wifi meshed but I may try this again and I would also consider a Fritzbox 1750e repeater or two instead of the two Fritzbox 7530 but I am not sure that a dedicated wifi repeater would be any better.

Regards,
Fido

Zen FTTC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to