Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User stevewhits
(member) Thu 18-Jul-19 19:22:24
Print Post

Slow Speed - Router or Modem

[link to this post]

I have 40mbps BB with Plusnet and recently noticed my download speed has dropped to about 8mbps to 10 mbps. I went through some fault finding with PN last night and they said everything appeared normal. Anyway my setup is via an openreach modem and an ASUS RT-N66U router.

To eliminate the hardware before getting the engineer out I've plugged in an old BT Homehub 5 and am now getting 35mbps which suggests either the modem or router are at fault for the slow speed.

Can anyone suggest the best way to establish which is faulty without forking out for a new modem or router
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 18-Jul-19 20:01:42
Print Post

Re: Slow Speed - Router or Modem

[re: stevewhits] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by stevewhits:
Can anyone suggest the best way to establish which is faulty without forking out for a new modem or router

Are you testing using an Ethernet connection from a computer to either router? This stops any WiFi issues affecting tests.

You can use an openreach modem with the Homehub 5, connect it to the red WAN port, and then try testing again - but one of the reasons the Hub 5 arrived was to allow openreach to stop supplying modems.

The problem with the modem (either a Huawei or an ECI) is the lack of statistics from it about the line performance. If you have a Huawei one it can be "hacked" but the ECI is much harder.

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m - Sync history highest: 64/9 (Sep/17), 54/6 (Jan/19), 51/6 (Mar/19)
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 18-Jul-19 20:25:08
Print Post

[re: stevewhits] [link to this post]

One thing that sometimes works is a factory reset on the modem. If there's been any unusual electrical stuff around, like a nearby thunderstorm the runtime version of the firmware can get corrupted.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User stevewhits
(member) Thu 18-Jul-19 20:43:53
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Thanks, I didn't realise I could use the Openreach modem with the BT hub. I've plugged that in and it's working fine. I just need to find out why my speed drops using the router now
Standard User jabuzzard
(member) Fri 19-Jul-19 14:34:13
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

That would be seriously impressive. Could you describe how this new physics works?

An orders of magnitude more likely explanation if a reset fixes things is that the router was hacked and setting back to factory defaults removed the hack. Time to make sure you are on the latest firmware me thinks.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 19-Jul-19 14:40:31
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
One thing that sometimes works is a factory reset on the modem. If there's been any unusual electrical stuff around, like a nearby thunderstorm the runtime version of the firmware can get corrupted.

You're assuming the software is copied from an EEPROM into RAM to run, and that is how things worked a while ago, when the reading speed of EEPROMs was too slow to execute from.

With Flash memory this is no longer the case. You can boot/run directly from the flash storage, with temporary files in a ram.

If "the runtime version of the firmware" was corrupt, a simple power cycle would resolve.

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m - Sync history highest: 64/9 (Sep/17), 54/6 (Jan/19), 51/6 (Mar/19)
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 19-Jul-19 15:11:52
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

A simple one people have missed so far...speeds of 8 to 10 Mbps...has the original poster checked the link speeds for the various Ethernet connections?

e.g. has PC decided to only connect at 10 Mbps over its Ethernet cable, or maybe the link cable between Asus and modem

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 19-Jul-19 17:37:34
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jabuzzard:
That would be seriously impressive. Could you describe how this new physics works?

An orders of magnitude more likely explanation if a reset fixes things is that the router was hacked and setting back to factory defaults removed the hack. Time to make sure you are on the latest firmware me thinks.
You are obsessed with modem hacking.

How this corruption occurs I do not know at the detailed level, but it is a fact it used to happen. Also see my next post in the thread, where the explanation may lie, and understandably so.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 19-Jul-19 17:38:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by jchamier:
In reply to a post by RobertoS:

You're assuming the software is copied from an EEPROM into RAM to run, and that is how things worked a while ago, when the reading speed of EEPROMs was too slow to execute from.

With Flash memory this is no longer the case. You can boot/run directly from the flash storage, with temporary files in a ram.

If "the runtime version of the firmware" was corrupt, a simple power cycle would resolve.
Absolutely correct. I was making that assumption. Thanks for the correction smile.

Standard User stevewhits
(member) Sat 20-Jul-19 07:27:38
Print Post

Testing was plugged into test socket with Ethernet cables. Iím going to carry out a factory reset but if that doesnít work itís a new router. Bit of anecdotal evidence when searching that this isnít an isolated issue with this router.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to