Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User stevewhits
(member) Sat 27-Jul-19 09:56:25
Print Post

Re: Slow Speed - Router or Modem

[re: stevewhits] [link to this post]

I've sorted this out now thanks to everyone that replied.

The issue was simply due to my router not having a powerful enough processor which killed the speed.

Installing the VPN directly onto the firestick solved the issue.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 27-Jul-19 11:15:37
Print Post

[re: stevewhits] [link to this post]

Thatís one weíll need to remember, so thanks for that post.

But I just looked up Firestick, (Amazon Fire Stick?), and am a bit confused about installing a VPN on one. (Looked up a bit more).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 27-Jul-19 11:21:56)

Standard User gmangt4
(regular) Sat 27-Jul-19 11:24:58
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

As its based on Android it has some sort of App store or can sideload Android APK's, folks use VPN on them for USA Netflix, Kodi, etc or for any sort of Region or ISP block on what their trying to view.

Edited by gmangt4 (Sat 27-Jul-19 11:26:05)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 27-Jul-19 11:50:20
Print Post

[re: gmangt4] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gmangt4:
As its based on Android it has some sort of App store or can sideload Android APK's, folks use VPN on them for USA Netflix, Kodi, etc or for any sort of Region or ISP block on what their trying to view.

It runs Amazon's FireOS which is the same as the Amazon Fire tablets. This is based on the open source AOSP so doesn't include any of Google's propitiatory components (e.g. maps, or Play Store). So some APKs fail expecting to find function calls that are part of the Google bit. Not a problem for a network app such as VPN, but an issue for some apps on the tablets.

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m - Sync history highest: 64/9 (Sep/17), 54/6 (Jan/19), 51/6 (Mar/19)
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM
Standard User jabuzzard
(committed) Sat 27-Jul-19 20:56:48
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Do Asus routers have a documented compromise that can be corrected by a reset? Has Asus not produced updated firmware to block the compromise?

Not that I am aware of, but many routers do due to the way the firmware image is stored in the flash. Asus do however have routers that have known vulnerabilities for which there are no firmware updates.

If no to both of those, are you suggesting that there is an unknown hack going on with Asus routers?

It is highly likely in my view. There was no listed vulnerability for one of the routers that was been "hacked" that I personally dealt with. It however was undeniably being hacked I could see the rouge processes and traffic after getting a shell on the router.

Like I said elsewhere if you wish to engage in nefarious activities the obvious and relatively trivial step (to someone skilled) is to compromise a vulnerable home router out on the internet and use that as a jump box. Ideally you want a whole slew of them that you use just the once to make it harder to trace the activity back to you.

Security researchers however are mostly making a living from bug bounties (quite hansom livings too by all accounts). However there are no bug bounties for finding vulnerabilities in SOHO routers. If you read up on the cases where a security researcher does find a bug, most times the manufactures are not interested. The models are on the market for a couple of years tops after which they become abandonware and the manufacture stops releasing any updates. Hurts their business model of you buying a new router.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 27-Jul-19 21:26:03
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jabuzzard:
The models are on the market for a couple of years tops after which they become abandonware and the manufacture stops releasing any updates. Hurts their business model of you buying a new router.
The second sentence there completely contradicts your earlier arguments, in that if due to the manufacturers not releasing updates the users rush out and buy new routers there wouldn't be any old ones around to compromise.

Conversely, if your earlier arguments are correct and thousands upon thousands of customers are continuing to use the old routers, these manufacturers' business models are unsustainable and they would all have ceased to exist by now.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 27-Jul-19 21:44:14
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

Many routers have third party firmware. ASUS for example has Merlin. Not the DSL models though as they are limited, and donít support shell access.

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m - Sync history highest: 64/9 (Sep/17), 54/6 (Jan/19), 51/6 (Mar/19)
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM
Standard User gmangt4
(regular) Sat 27-Jul-19 22:03:08
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

There is a Merlin Fork for Asus DSL-AC68U, its on SNB.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Sun 28-Jul-19 08:55:44
Print Post

[re: gmangt4] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gmangt4:
There is a Merlin Fork for Asus DSL-AC68U, its on SNB.

It should be a criminal offence to use that modem/router shocked

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User gmangt4
(regular) Sun 28-Jul-19 09:21:29
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

I agree,I would use a separate modem with them, I wasn't recommending it, just saying that there are 3rd party firmwares out there for the Asus DSL branch.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to