Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User keymaster
(committed) Sun 16-Feb-20 13:11:48
Print Post

Asus AI Mesh

[link to this post]

Hi Guys
I have a modest bungalow which being very rural always had rubbish internet as the bottleneck to my internet adventures, but I was lucky enough to reside in a chosen pioneer area for FTTP and now get 310/52 line.
I have previously thrown money at my network hardware to try and make the best of what I had, I have 2 x Asus RT-AC88U (one in my study and one in my bedroom ) and an Asus blue cave router in the sittingroom for my media and tv devices. I use an ethernet cat6 connection between the three devices and the hard wired devices work fantastic.
Although my house isnt large I still struggle with WIFI, I have a Ring2 doorbell on front door, which stuggles for signal, I have various Amazon Alexa devices around house with drop out while playing radio frequently and if I am using my tablet to chat on skype or similar I get lost connection. I have contacted Asus who have had me reset all three routers and start again- twice, re position them to less convenient places etc am I expecting too much from £500 worth of kit?
I am considering ditching them all and going back to bt home hub with disks or similar and trying to get Asus to take them back and look for another brand, Fritzbox or something.
Any recommendations or advice greatfully received.
Many thanks
K
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 16-Feb-20 13:16:22
Print Post

Re: Asus AI Mesh

[re: keymaster] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by keymaster:
Any recommendations or advice greatfully received.

No experience on the Asus AI Mesh, but you can get BT discs without using a homehub, these work with any router and any ISP:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/BT-seamless-connection-ever...

VirginMedia 200/20 (22 Nov 19). Was FTTC for 7 years (55/12 to 46/5)
20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User keymaster
(committed) Sun 16-Feb-20 13:40:16
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Hi
thank you, hmmm they wifi only not ports on back, maybe a rethink required,
Thanks again
K

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gmangt4
(member) Sun 16-Feb-20 13:55:22
Print Post

I used Asus AiMesh for a bit but in my experience I found it more reliable to use the nodes as WAP's instead with wired backhaul and worked fine.....I have now moved to Ubiquiti router and BT Whole Home WiFi discs for devices that I can't wire, like phones, tablet, etc.
I have ethernet to required rooms from main router, I have an 8 port gigabit switch at the end of each feed that I plug the devices in, including the WiFi discs, cost me about £200 ish all in and works great.
Standard User gmangt4
(member) Sun 16-Feb-20 13:59:53
Print Post

The WiFi discs linked in earlier post do have one ethernet port on the back, I use mine as backhaul but can be used to supply ethernet to a device, like a switch if you needed more connections if you use them on WiFi backhaul.
Main one has to be wired to the router at all times.
Standard User keymaster
(committed) Sun 16-Feb-20 14:03:08
Print Post

[re: gmangt4] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gmangt4:
I used Asus AiMesh for a bit but in my experience I found it more reliable to use the nodes as WAP's instead with wired backhaul and worked fine.....I have now moved to Ubiquiti router and BT Whole Home WiFi discs for devices that I can't wire, like phones, tablet, etc.
I have ethernet to required rooms from main router, I have an 8 port gigabit switch at the end of each feed that I plug the devices in, including the WiFi discs, cost me about £200 ish all in and works great.

Hi
Thanks, will look into this option
K
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 16-Feb-20 14:10:31
Print Post

The WiFi discs linked in earlier post do have one ethernet port on the back, I use mine as backhaul but can be used to supply ethernet to a device, like a switch if you needed more connections if you use them on WiFi backhaul.
I've seen this used to supply a Playstation that had a WiFi problem smile

VirginMedia 200/20 (22 Nov 19). Was FTTC for 7 years (55/12 to 46/5)
20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Sun 08-Mar-20 00:56:49
Print Post

I used Asus AiMesh for a bit but in my experience I found it more reliable to use the nodes as WAP's instead with wired backhaul and worked fine.

That's interesting, I have two AC68U routers connected via AiMesh and it appears to work fine, but the drawback is lack of independent management of the mesh node, so using the mesh node router as an AP would appeal to me. Does the AP have the same SSIDs as the main router?
Standard User gmangt4
(member) Sun 08-Mar-20 09:04:26
Print Post

[re: joconnell] [link to this post]

Yes, you can name the SSID whatever you want, I chose the same SSID but you have the choice. It's been a while since I last tried it so it could be much better since I last used it but when I was trying it I got better results using the nodes as WAP's.....loads of discussion on SNB if you look on there.
  Print Thread

Jump to