Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User longedge
(experienced) Thu 18-Jun-20 11:27:47
Print Post

Any experience with TP Link AC2800?

[link to this post]

I think I'm going to bite the bullet and get a TP-Link AC2800 Modem Router together with a TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-Port Desktop Gigabit Ethernet Switch to replace my PlusNet Hub One.

Is anybody using this router and any experiences good or bad?

p.s. - or suggestions as to a better option.

p.p.s. - I'm on a Huawei cabinet and understand that routers with a Broadcom chipset are best suited and this router runs on that chipset

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
... known to some as George
plusnet FTTC

Edited by longedge (Thu 18-Jun-20 17:26:26)

Standard User longedge
(experienced) Sat 27-Jun-20 14:27:43
Print Post

Re: Any experience with TP Link AC2800?

[re: longedge] [link to this post]

Finally opted for a Fritz Box 7530. Fingers crossed that it stabilises my 'temperamental' line.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
plusnet FTTC
Standard User longedge
(experienced) Sat 04-Jul-20 19:22:10
Print Post

Up to now the Fritz!Box seems to have been a good buy and an answer to my disconnections problem. It's currently showing that my DSL synced 2days,22hours,53minutes ago.

For the last two nights at about 3:15hrs it has pre-emptively dropped the PPPoE session and immediately reconnected all in the space of about 1-2 seconds.

A few weeks ago using the Plusnet Hub I was getting disconnected several times daily but DSL was dropping and took 5+ minutes to sync again. Engineer said that was because of vectoring enabled in my cabinet.

As I touch this piece of wood, it seems that it's problem solved.

plusnet FTTC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Realalemadrid
(committed) Sat 04-Jul-20 20:18:12
Print Post

Do your modem stats show that you have vectoring enabled, forgive my suspicion but I doubt if many Openreach "engineers" have any idea what vectoring is?

As for your choice of router I am not too keen on the Fritzbox devices. I would have gone for a Zyxel VMG 8924 which does have Broadcom chipset.
Standard User longedge
(experienced) Sat 04-Jul-20 20:44:52
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

I don't pretend to understand but I assume that is what the router reports as "G.Vector"

Negotiated Connection Properties
Receive Direction Send Direction
Max. DSLAM throughput kbit/s 49000 10000
Min. DSLAM throughput kbit/s 128 128
Attainable throughput kbit/s 56279 8185
Current throughput kbit/s 48998 8185
Seamless rate adaptation off off

Latency fast fast
ImpulseNoiseProtection (INP) 49 0
G.INP on off

Signal-to-noise ratio dB 9 6
Bitswap on on
Line attenuation dB 24 35
approximate line length m 755

Profile 17a
G.Vector full full

Carrier record A43 A43

It also shows:-

DSL active since:
3 days, 0hours,32 minutes
VDSL2 17a G.Vector (ITU G.992.5)

DSL Central Exchange -
(I assume this is the cabinet)
Huawei Broadcom: 192.28

The engineer made a point of telling me that resyncing would be slow as a result of vectoring at the cabinet.

plusnet FTTC

Edited by longedge (Sat 04-Jul-20 20:55:04)

Standard User Realalemadrid
(committed) Sat 04-Jul-20 22:56:07
Print Post

You do indeed have vectoring enabled, my apologies to the openreach guy, however your line is banded (i.e. capped as shown by the Max. DSLAM throughput value) at 49Mbps if this was removed you could expect a reasonable increase in sync speed, particularly if DLM was to reduce the snrm to below the usual default of 6 dB. Your stats show the benefit of vectoring on a fairly long line.smile
Standard User longedge
(experienced) Sun 05-Jul-20 05:47:48
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

I'm on 55/10 so not that far off at 49Mbps. SNR seems to be constantly changing and at the moment it's hovering around 9-10DB.

This all started because of constant disconnections which I think accounts for the present level and I did start out at 6DB but | guess that DLM has intervened.

DSL info shows a line length of ~755metres which is correct following the road to where my cabinet is.

I'm now well into my third day without a disconnection apart from a daily 1 second pre-emptive PPPoE session drop/connect at 03:15hrs so, result!! as far as I'm comcerned.

plusnet FTTC
  Print Thread

Jump to