Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Deft
(experienced) Sun 04-Oct-20 17:30:57
Print Post

New VDSL modem/router combo

[link to this post]

I'm currently using an Openreach modem and Asus RT-N66U. Has been no bother really, decent WiFi signal. I'd like to declutter to a single box. My broadband is VDSL 40/10 (the max the line will support give or take a few Mbit). Doubt proper fibre will appear anytime soon so I don't need much future proofing, I'll just buy new stuff in 5 yrs time. Any recommendations? Fancy new WiFi standards meaningful for my relatively slow broadband? All running off WiFi and a couple of homeplugs.
I'm with Zen if that makes any difference.

Edited by Deft (Sun 04-Oct-20 17:31:33)

Standard User flilot
(regular) Mon 05-Oct-20 16:56:09
Print Post

Re: New VDSL modem/router combo

[re: Deft] [link to this post]

Highly recommend the FRITZ!Box 7530 (which Zen currently supply to customers). Decent WiFi coverage (Wifi5 up to 866Mbps MiMo & Mesh), plus has a host of features that can be very useful if you transition to FTTP in the future (DECT base station if you port your landline to a VOIP service being the main one). The only thing it doesn't have is WiFi 6 but that is still in its consumer take-up infancy anyway.

Carl
(newbie) Wed 07-Oct-20 06:01:00
Print Post

Id recommend the Zyxel XMG3927-B50A with Broadcom chipset. Its not the cheapest & is not widely distributed in the UK, but is future proof & has lots of features. I paid £162.

Zyxel XMG3927-B50A

Vodafone Superfast 2
Zyxel XMG3927-B50A Router

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Deft
(experienced) Thu 08-Oct-20 17:07:22
Print Post

Thanks for the advice both, seeing as I'm a Zen customer perhaps I can wangle a Fritzbox for relatively cheap.
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 09-Oct-20 10:58:47
Print Post

[re: Natty] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Natty:
Id recommend the Zyxel XMG3927-B50A with Broadcom chipset. Its not the cheapest & is not widely distributed in the UK, but is future proof & has lots of features. I paid £162.

Zyxel XMG3927-B50A

In what way is the Zyxel future proof?

The G.Fast rollout has stopped. If you don't have it already you very likely aren't getting it.
VDSL2 profile 35b can't happen because G.Fast exists.

It's just another VDSL2 modem/router but cost a fortune compared to similar Zyxel models because it does G.Fast.
The only people that should buy it is those who actually have G.Fast.
Standard User Natty
(newbie) Fri 09-Oct-20 11:07:04
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

More than sufficient for FTTP when its more widely available. KCOM are offering it with their FTTP broadband Specs for KCOM’s Future FTTP Broadband ISP Routers in Hull UK

Vodafone Superfast 2
Zyxel XMG3927-B50A Router
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 09-Oct-20 11:23:19
Print Post

[re: Natty] [link to this post]

For the price the specs aren't great.

A chunk of the cost is the newer Broadcom BCM63138 chipset which performs worse on VDSL2 than its predecessor the BCM63168.

It's only good value for anyone who has G.Fast or VDSL2 profile 35b.

There are similar spec'd Zyxels with just a VDSL2 chipset (no G.Fast) and a WAN port for FTTP for nearly half the price.
Standard User omnius
(member) Fri 09-Oct-20 14:41:05
Print Post

If it helps im useing a tp-link vr2800, its been rock solid so far with bt (32 days and counting, last sinc was due to a local power cut) and is happly serving 7 wired and 17 wireless devices with no issues ive seen.

Its been far better then the smart hub i origanally had and i have no plans to change it till the fully multi gig port routers start coming out
---------

Just because i try to help doesnt mean i know what im on about lol
  Print Thread

Jump to