Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Meridius
(regular) Wed 21-Oct-20 22:20:40
Print Post

Bt Hubs but which mesh system to go with it, Help.

[link to this post]

Hi all

I have a 3 bt hubs

BT hub 4 with Openreach modem
Smart hub
Smart hub 2,

I stopped using the smart hub 2 as soon as i got it because you cannot separate the 2.4 and 5 ghz freq for our devices and had caused problems. a question is the smart hub 1 just the same as the smart hub 2 but with some slight differences in options and fibre to home compatible?

I have not used the Smart Hub 1 at all as i am sure there was a reason, lol so i am still using the Openreach modem and Hub 4 but does not delegate data to well-meaning if your gaming it will have problems if another is streaming video and the wifi is not the best..

so the question is what's the better one to use. as i would also like to buy a new mesh system

I am looking at a mesh system to pair with these devices and BT do the BT Premium AX3700 wi-fi 6 discs, but I read a lot of people having drop outs with them and connection problems so not to sure on that system.

I also read the Amazon eero mesh is not PPPoe compatible with BT modems and you need this to connect the mesh system to the Openreach modem? is this true , there are others like tp link as well, I read these need to be setup over the internet to access them which i find odd as why would you need to use the internet to set them up as there local devices or is it because they don't have web browser setup access like the bt routers as i am not to sure if the BT versions of the mesh do the same.

I am abit confused on what i need and what is best so would be great if other bt users can chip in

also, i have network ethernet ports in every room so i can connect each mesh device to the network using cables is that possible to get the best performance as i know the black discs from bt cannot even do that. not sure on the wi-fi 6 white versions of the bt discs

any help would be great

thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 21-Oct-20 23:48:11
Print Post

Re: Bt Hubs but which mesh system to go with it, Help.

[re: Meridius] [link to this post]

The Smart Hub 2 does not support the channel splitting so that it works better with the BT mesh system.

Smart Hub 2 works best with the black BT wifi discs rather than the white ones i..e hub acts as part of the mesh

On the Ethernet both have Ethernet ports but not sure which works with multiple discs on ethernet.

Ultimately if you have ethernet ports in a room, then gaming console and TV should use Ethernet as Wi-Fi is always going to have the odd drop out

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Meridius
(regular) Thu 22-Oct-20 22:45:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The only things that are used on Wi-Fi are devices that don't have ethernet ports.

the BT black discs are no good as i read that you cannot connect them to ethernet to talk to each other and only work that way by WIFI which i don't want as some locations will be far from the main unit.

I have been looking into it and seems that the best way is to scrap the smart hub 1 and 2 and use thee bt open reach modem only and scrap the hub4 and buy a mesh system that support PPPoe and use that for the WIFI and router with the bt Openreach modem.

the thing is i am not to sure how this works would the main mesh system unit get plugged from the modem to the wan port and the 2nd ethernet port to a switch that runs to all my hard-wired devices and at each switch place another mesh system unit to extend the wifi range and use the network cables to send the data back and forth to the modem.

thanks for any help and advice.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 23-Oct-20 09:51:36
Print Post

DSL modem would plug into WAN Ethernet port of which ever device does the PPPoE i.e. main Mesh.device which would have to run as a router

Then whether you need.a switch depends on your Ethernet cable runs and how many ports the main Mesh device has, plus how many devices you are plugging in with Ethernet in other rooms.

If building is so large that the mesh networks are not likely to overlap then a cheaper more traditional Wi-Fi setup of access point per room you want WiFi in would suffice

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RogerTheDodger
(newbie) Fri 23-Oct-20 11:37:03
Print Post

If its any help, I am using a TP link VR2800 with 6 BT white discs. 5 of the 6 are wired and the other one wireless. Every room in my house is foil lined, which can be a real problem. I bought all the discs cheaply second-hand. The whole thing was a bit of a pain at first because the original firmware for the discs was poor but that was updated and it is now working solidly, no drop outs and good signal in every room + the garden and shed! I would cheerfully recommend these discs to anybody.
Standard User Meridius
(regular) Sat 24-Oct-20 15:09:26
Print Post

[re: RogerTheDodger] [link to this post]

thanks i still not sure, i am going to use the open reach modem but i think it might be best to remove the hub 4 altogether and use a separate wifi/ethernet mesh system.

i dont like the idea of having the frequency's joined like the smart hub 6 as i have herd that many people have problems with devices not switching ot the right stronger faster frequency

plus the black bt discs don't let you hook them up with ethernet cables but the white ones do but read the wifi white disc version have firmware problems.

so not to sure what to go for or what system to use as i have all my wired devices using ethernet and want better wifi range in my house. also the hub 4 is not the best for delegating speeds to different devices as say you start downloading it just cripples video streaming. and kills gamming. I herd the smart hub 2 was better for this but never tried it.
  Print Thread

Jump to