Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 26-Nov-20 09:19:28
Print Post

Re: DSl Termination point

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

Watching that video on the tear down of the Mk4 he says the out of service resistor is the bellwire filter, wrong. And a link (zero resistance) marked with a black band is the out of service resistor, wrong. Admittedly it doesn't appear to be soldered but the video conclusions don't give you much confidence.

Tim
talktalkbusiness.net & freenetname
TTB Router, Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80/20 Meg Fibre
Speed Test

Highest Sync: 79993/19661

BQM
Standard User danielhyde
(member) Thu 26-Nov-20 11:40:49
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Banger:
Watching that video on the tear down of the Mk4 he says the out of service resistor is the bellwire filter, wrong. And a link (zero resistance) marked with a black band is the out of service resistor, wrong. Admittedly it doesn't appear to be soldered but the video conclusions don't give you much confidence.

You're right, I've had one apart they are not soldered at all
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 26-Nov-20 12:13:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by 4M2:
In reply to a post by RobertoS:
AIUI there is nothing bad about the Mk3 filtered faceplate either. Where "interstitial" comes into it I don't get. The interstitial plate was different again.
https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/technical/4462049-... - referred to as the "interstitial part (MK3)" as in being sandwiched, indeed not to be confused with an I-Plate smile
I have grave doubts about the whole conversation in that thread. wink

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
Experience shows us that love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking together in the same direction.
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Thu 26-Nov-20 19:56:38
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Banger:
Watching that video on the tear down of the Mk4 he says the out of service resistor is the bellwire filter, wrong. And a link (zero resistance) marked with a black band is the out of service resistor, wrong.

Are you sure? With continued examination of the NTE5C he appeared to correctly identify the components, i.e. the bell wire filter and the out of service resistor seem to be inserted across the relevant metallic tracks.
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 26-Nov-20 19:59:03
Print Post

I was a PCB assembler I know the difference between a link and a resistor and those identified in the video are not what he says they are.

Tim
talktalkbusiness.net & freenetname
TTB Router, Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80/20 Meg Fibre
Speed Test

Highest Sync: 79993/19661

BQM
Standard User RichTea23
(regular) Thu 26-Nov-20 23:56:14
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Thanks for all the info, I very much did mean to type "BT OpenReach" and not just BT!

My ISP connected my new to me but old house service as we have electricians / plasterers it was over a week before I went to add my router and noted the state of the BTOR termination point its a shame as its OR that provide it you would think they would be responsible for the quality of it (at least for new services) how can they provide a good service else wise i guess thats one of the advantages of a monopoly.

I guess ill just have to source and fit my own box, does any one have recommendation for a suppler?

Various (Dile up) -> clara.net (Dile up) -> TELE2 (Microwave) -> ZeN (ADSL) -> ZeN (vDSL)
Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 27-Nov-20 00:31:32
Print Post

[re: RichTea23] [link to this post]

The supplier I always use when changing master sockets

ahem...

...If I ever changed master sockets (which of course I don't, because I'm not allowed to) the supplier I would use would be https://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Fri 27-Nov-20 01:43:08
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

Mk3 plates are quite hard to come by these days and getting fairly expensive https://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/adsl-vdsl-faceplates... one may fit on the OP's NTE5 but of course he would still need the lower NTE5A front plate (for the phone) and two long machine or long self tapping screws to hold it all together.

Genuine OR NTE5C's + MK4 plates seem fairly plentiful and relatively inexpensive on ebay and amazon these days. However perhaps in the OP's case, if voice extensions are not required, one could stick with a micro filter in the test socket, assuming it's not unsightly, for the time being...

Edited by 4M2 (Fri 27-Nov-20 02:01:24)

Standard User RichTea23
(regular) Fri 27-Nov-20 17:01:19
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

Excellent that you, well I deficiently didn't order a new box, just the plug in face plate.

Any suggestions for cabling extending for the "VDSL" bit to a nice useful location (instead of the silly old middle of hallway) like my comm's room, I have some Cat 5e or Cat 6a (solid core).
Would the 6a with a rj45 at one end and the other end into the Mk3 face plate be the way to go?

Various (Dile up) -> clara.net (Dile up) -> TELE2 (Microwave) -> ZeN (ADSL) -> ZeN (vDSL)
Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 27-Nov-20 17:36:56
Print Post

[re: RichTea23] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RichTea23:
Excellent that you, well I deficiently didn't order a new box, just the plug in face plate.

Any suggestions for cabling extending for the "VDSL" bit to a nice useful location (instead of the silly old middle of hallway) like my comm's room, I have some Cat 5e or Cat 6a (solid core).
Would the 6a with a rj45 at one end and the other end into the Mk3 face plate be the way to go?
The other way round. The 8 position RJ45 plug goes into the Mk3 face plate and the 6 position RJ11 goes into your router. Alternatively you can run unterminated Cat5 or Cat6 from the terminals on the back of the Mk3 to another socket next to the router.

Run-IT-direct supplies white Cat5e cable by the metre if you wanted the cable to be less obtrusive on a white skirting board and you'd then just need a secondary telephone socket like this; https://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/bt-line-boxes-and-so... or even an RJ45 socket in the comms room.

You would need to do some wiring on this at each end which requires a tool; https://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/tools/IDCtool/

It all depends whether you want a permanent extension or are happy to trail a wire. Take your pick and good luck smile

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to