Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Russ_T
(newbie) Tue 19-Jan-21 01:04:59
Print Post

Draytek Vigo 2862 & 950Mb Jurassic Fibre

[link to this post]

Hello all,

I should be able to get FTTP by end of March, hoooray. I'll be going for the biggest package they do, just because I can.

I am currently running a DrayTek Vigor 2862 for my FTTP. This has a gigabit WAN port (WAN2) which I believe I could use with whatever modem Jurassic provide. The trouble is the firewall spec says "Limited to 400Mb/sec".

Is the firewall going to be a bottleneck to my network? I can always sell it and buy something else. I might not really need a DrayTek router at all, or maybe I should get a DrayTek fibre router and attempt to use that instead of the Jurassic device.

That's assuming I can buy something better than what they provide, like you usually can with FTTC. Maybe though it's not the same with FTTP.

Thanks for your help

Russ
Standard User Russ_T
(newbie) Tue 19-Jan-21 01:17:58
Print Post

Re: Draytek Vigo 2862 & 950Mb Jurassic Fibre

[re: Russ_T] [link to this post]

I think according to what I've been reading the answer is most definitely yes. It also seems Draytek won't give me 950Mb any sense, so maybe someone can recommend a brand that is good that offers a decent router without wifi that is suitable please?

Here is the router comparison I found

https://www.draytek.co.uk/products/comparison/router...

and the model that would be suitable

https://www.draytek.co.uk/products/business/vigor-29...

Shows 800Mbs without hardware acceleration, 950Mb with ...
Standard User danielhyde
(member) Tue 19-Jan-21 09:52:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by Russ_T:
I think according to what I've been reading the answer is most definitely yes. It also seems Draytek won't give me 950Mb any sense, so maybe someone can recommend a brand that is good that offers a decent router without wifi that is suitable please?

Here is the router comparison I found

https://www.draytek.co.uk/products/comparison/router...

and the model that would be suitable

https://www.draytek.co.uk/products/business/vigor-29...

Shows 800Mbs without hardware acceleration, 950Mb with ...

Hi,

I'd say it does a max of 800Mbps if you use Hardware Acceleration it completely bypasses the firewall.
Which is not ideal, also anytime I've tried enabling it is caused issues if you use more than the switch built in to the router.

Thanks
Dan

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User samaparr
(newbie) Tue 19-Jan-21 11:42:30
Print Post

Hey Russ,

Sorry a bit off topic, but how did you find out you will have FTTP in March?
I'm in Taunton and wondered "Is Russ also in Taunton?" went to your previous posts and it looks like back in 2012 you was! Nice!

Did you give JF a call and find out? As i'd love to know when I can also.

I've just been upgrading the house to Wi-Fi 6E in preparation and signed up with Cuckoo internet to avoid being locked into a 12month contract.

Cheers!

Sam
Standard User Russ_T
(newbie) Tue 19-Jan-21 11:42:37
Print Post

[re: danielhyde] [link to this post]

Thank you Dan.

I have a relatively complex network after the router as well, so probably no use. It'll be modem -> my router (maybe) -> Netduma R2 -> Google Wifi -> wired to my main swtich -> pc

I think I'll see what Jurassic Fibre give me hardware wise and go from there, or just get the 500Mb package. I don't really want to spend £700 or so on a faster router just to get the 950Mb working, as I'm not sure what other bottlenecks I'll have in my network.

Thanks again
Standard User Russ_T
(newbie) Tue 19-Jan-21 11:50:28
Print Post

[re: samaparr] [link to this post]

That's ok.

I spoke to the Jurassic Fibre engineers as they were at the bottom of my drive. They were a bit cagey but explained how the rollout was going in general, and that my house was an easy run for fttp, so I rang sales.

Sales said I would be in the ph1 of ph2 rollout for Taunton, which they said should be complete by end of March (or something like "all our connections should be lit up by March, if everything goes to plan") and then I would need my connection put in. They couldn't make any promises and weren't committing to anything though, so it's just my impression of how far away I am.

As I have the pole directly outside my house, and trunking direct to it from the cabinet mine is dead easy. Also I've seen loads of vans around with huge roles of fibre so it's happening atm. There was a van parked beside my cabinet (underground as it happens) for three days last week.

Anyway give sales a call, they try to be helpful, without committing to anything.

I'm going to get the 950Mb package for my free three months, and see how much I can really get out of it with my network / hardware, and go from there as you can change package easy.

Cheers, good luck!

Edited by Russ_T (Tue 19-Jan-21 13:14:09)

Standard User danielhyde
(member) Tue 19-Jan-21 12:07:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by Russ_T:
Thank you Dan.

I have a relatively complex network after the router as well, so probably no use. It'll be modem -> my router (maybe) -> Netduma R2 -> Google Wifi -> wired to my main swtich -> pc

I think I'll see what Jurassic Fibre give me hardware wise and go from there, or just get the 500Mb package. I don't really want to spend £700 or so on a faster router just to get the 950Mb working, as I'm not sure what other bottlenecks I'll have in my network.

Thanks again

They will supply an ONT at the least that will have a fibre port for the incoming fibre and an ethernet port for a router.
I would assume it would come with a Wi-Fi router for the home packages, would be pretty silly if it didn't

Thanks
Dan
Standard User samaparr
(newbie) Tue 19-Jan-21 12:10:23
Print Post

Thanks for the info! That's great news for you being next to the cab.

I've just been on the phone to JF as you suggested, they we're very helpful and polite.
They have estimated my area to be at least 4-6 months away from now, which isn't too bad at all!

Like you I'll be going for the 950mbps package, I'm a heavy downloader and host my own Server. We have 1000mbps up/down in our office and going home to a 50mbps connection feels ancient now. What we would have done for 50mbps 15 years back lol.

Cheers Russ!
Standard User samaparr
(newbie) Tue 19-Jan-21 12:27:13
Print Post

I've just tested a Draytek Vigor 2862 with a gigabit connection. Hopefully this will prove your point of the Draytek being a limitation.

Fast.com
Download: 330Mbps
Upload: 320Mbps
Ping 11ms

Speedtest.net
Download: 330.53Mbps
Upload: 315.93Mbps
Ping: 11ms

Cheers,

Sam
Standard User Russ_T
(newbie) Tue 19-Jan-21 13:16:27
Print Post

[re: samaparr] [link to this post]

Thank you Sam.

Anyone want to buy a barely used Draytek 2862? laugh

Sam, what do you use for your gigabit connection please?

Also my friends BT 900mb free router apparently does full speed, why do you have to spend £700 with Draytek to achieve the same? I assume the BT router isn't an expensive item.

Thanks
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to