Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User samaparr
(newbie) Tue 19-Jan-21 13:31:07
Print Post

Re: Draytek Vigo 2862 & 950Mb Jurassic Fibre

[re: Russ_T] [link to this post]

No problem.

I'm using a Sophos CR100iNG but this isn't going to be realistic in a home setup as it costs nearly five figures new and it's "end of life" is this year.

Have you checked out the new Wi-Fi 6E Routers? Asus have a brilliant one coming out soon. Netgear too. If you don't mind the Chinese stuff, Xiaomi have some extremely cheap yet high performing routers, their latest one supports 6E and Mesh Wi-Fi.

The issue with the Draytek's is the CPU isn't the strongest.
You're mostly paying for the software (in my opinion).

As for the BT Router, BT own this. Your friend will have to send it back at the end of his contract.

Cheers,

Sam
Standard User Russ_T
(newbie) Tue 19-Jan-21 13:45:57
Print Post

[re: samaparr] [link to this post]

Fair point Sam, thank you again.

I have five Google Wifi points which seem to work well in my house, so don't really want to change them now. I'm aiming for a router without wifi kit really. I am concerned the Google wifi master node will be the bottleneck (at the moment it "runs" my network e.g. dhcp and such), so I might need to change that.

I would buy the latest gen Netgear / Asus, but it feels like I'm spending money on wifi I'll turn off. Maybe I just have to do that.

All my important stuff is cat5/6e to a main switch next to my master socket. I don't use VPNs or anything clever really, just want a decent firewall I suppose and normal router stuff. I want the best ping I can, so my machine to main switch -> Netduma R2 -> router -> modem probably makes sense.

Maybe the Jurassic kit will do for me, and I should just stop trying to be clever.

Thanks again, I'll have a look at that Sophos just out of curiosity.
Standard User samaparr
(newbie) Tue 19-Jan-21 13:53:58
Print Post

To test the Google Wi-Fi you could always copy a large single file from one PC to another.
This is the method I used to test my Wi-Fi to ensure it'll manage the new JF connection.
With 160mhz Wi-Fi 5 or 6, you will see at least 500Mbps.

I get what you're saying about the Router and switching off the Wi-Fi. I'm sure you could find something for less than £100 that does the job. I'll have a think and see what I have laying around, if I come up with anything I'll let you know.

It would be a good start knowing what JF supply with their connection. If they supply a Modem/Firewall then that's all you need. If it doesn't include a DHCP Server, your Google Wi-Fi may be able to do this instead or you could just set up a simple DHCP Server using a Raspberry Pie (just thinking off the top of my head).

Nice that you have everything wired, that's something I was regretting not doing when renovating the house. However, Wi-Fi 6E may save the headache.

Cheers,

Sam

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Russ_T
(newbie) Tue 19-Jan-21 14:01:19
Print Post

Yeah, I might ring them to ask what hardware they provide, save the guessing.

I have probably 15 devices here that want to do DHCP lol, I usually have to turn them off. I think whatever router I buy will do it. The Google wifi has an ok phone app, which I hated at first, but it's a quick way to assign an IP when you want to though.

In case anyone else reads this thread, there's the

Netgear AXE11000 https://www.netgear.com/home/wifi/routers/raxe500
Asus RoG GT-AXE11000 https://rog.asus.com/networking/rog-rapture-gt-axe11...

Both seem to pass gigabit ethernet. I can do DumaOS on some Netgears so could sell my Netduma R2 as well.

Cheers
Standard User samaparr
(newbie) Tue 19-Jan-21 14:53:13
Print Post

Great, let us know what they say smile

DHCP won't be an issue then haha.

This is the first time I've ran into DumaOS, cool stuff!
I'll look more into it later tonight when I'm sat on the sofa.

Cheers,

Sam
Standard User Russ_T
(newbie) Tue 19-Jan-21 16:50:58
Print Post

They are soooo good!

It's a Nokia G-240W-J modem/router. It has to stay in the chain for them to monitor network health. However, if I want to use my own router for dns and whatever let them know and they'll put theirs into bridged mode! They don't do static IPs for residential packages.

So looks like I can run with their kit and then probably my Netduma R2 will do everything I need for network control.

But now I don't know it'll manage 950Mb throughput!!! Now I have to find it's spec.
Standard User copex
(committed) Tue 19-Jan-21 21:13:31
Print Post

[re: danielhyde] [link to this post]

draytec 3910 will handle a gig connecting but you wont like the price i would recommend a
Microtik ac3 - step learning curve excellent value for money

Edited by copex (Tue 19-Jan-21 21:14:54)

Standard User Russ_T
(newbie) Wed 20-Jan-21 14:25:18
Print Post

[re: copex] [link to this post]

Hiya, I'll check those out, thank you. Yeah £700 ish felt a bit steep, but I figure i'll be FTTP, and WFH for a very long time so possibly worth the investment.

This thread is Netduma staff claiming they won't be a bottle neck, but cannot give me any real stats. We will see! smile

https://forum.netduma.com/topic/34478-r2-throughput-...

Cheers
Standard User clivers
(regular) Thu 21-Jan-21 21:53:25
Print Post

[re: copex] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by copex:
draytec 3910 will handle a gig connecting but you wont like the price i would recommend a
Microtik ac3 - step learning curve excellent value for money

Just announced and cheaper 2962 https://www.draytek.co.uk/products/business/vigor-29...
Standard User Russ_T
(newbie) Fri 22-Jan-21 11:21:56
Print Post

[re: clivers] [link to this post]

Great find, thank you! I would have missed that.

I will see how the Netduma does alone first, and maybe I'll switch to this.

Cheers!.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to