Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Glenn2
(newbie) Wed 20-Jan-21 18:09:26
Print Post

Dropped packets on Zen + Fritzbox BQM

[link to this post]

Hi I'm new to VDSL (and this forum) but not new to BQM graphs as I was previously the owner of a severely over-utilised Virgin line. Been on Zen for a month now and seen these dropped packets occasionally but for the last few days they have been much worse.

Ignore the downtime, that is me changing things around and waiting 30 minutes.
Zen BQM 20/01/21

Is this bad news and what could be causing it?

Things I've tried to no avail:
1) resetting the Fritzbox 7530 to factory settings
2) removing the MK3 faceplate and using the supplied dangly filter from the test socket (although I have no phone and no extensions anyway)
3) putting the Fritz into router-only mode and using an Openreach Huawei HG612 with a short cable at the socket (my cabinet is Huawei)

Is the problem between me and the cabinet or further along?

I've only had the line provisioned for a month (always been on VM since I lived here) and there were a few little bits of red all along but now it's much worse.

Any thoughts/advice?
Cheers,
Glenn
Standard User Glenn2
(newbie) Thu 21-Jan-21 09:40:09
Print Post

Re: Dropped packets on Zen + Fritzbox BQM

[re: Glenn2] [link to this post]

Hmmm... OK it's the router part of the Fritzbox 7530. I stuck an old router on and it went away. What I don't understand is why it's so bad for the last week only, and why a factory reset of the Fritzbox didn't clear it either.
Standard User Saltank
(committed) Thu 21-Jan-21 11:19:09
Print Post

Probably not normal, I would guess it has something to do with the line (statistics might help others diagnose though I don't delve into them).

Here's a sample of a friend's Zen line from November (can't post anything recent since Google Wi-Fi doesn't support ICMP).

Zen using FritzBox in router mode

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 21-Jan-21 11:44:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by Glenn2:
I stuck an old router on and it went away. What I don't understand is why it's so bad for the last week only, and why a factory reset of the Fritzbox didn't clear it either.
Perhaps the Fritzbox thought the high volume of ping (ICMP ECHO) from the BQM is an attack, and is throttling responses. You may have to check very detailed firewall logs to see (if that is possible). I don't know the Fritz hardware.

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User j0hn83
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Jan-21 12:16:26
Print Post

The Fritzbox is known to drop many of the pings, especially if Zen are running their own monitoring and are also pinging the Fritzbox every single second.

The pings on the BQM come from the internet to your router.
To rule out the packet loss being caused by the router dropping ping packets you can try pinging from your connection to the internet.
If there's no packet loss then it's just a quirk of the Fritzbox.

Edited by j0hn83 (Thu 21-Jan-21 12:17:13)

Standard User Glenn2
(newbie) Thu 21-Jan-21 12:21:37
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Edit - this is a reply not to the previous post but the one before it.

I wondered about that but it's only been bad for just under a week. And a factory reset didn't change it. Just before midnight (you can see on my linked BQM from yesterday) I stuck an old Zyxel router on and that doesn't show the problem. The Zyxel in modem mode feeding the Fritz does show the problem however. If it is indeed a problem. It's a very peculiar device, the Fritzbox. Feature rich but lacking some controls such as blocking/allowing of ICMP on WAN (which I had to change on the Zyxel for that to work with BQM).

Edited by Glenn2 (Thu 21-Jan-21 12:22:59)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 21-Jan-21 13:18:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by Glenn2:
The Zyxel in modem mode feeding the Fritz does show the problem however. If it is indeed a problem.
Yes, because the Fritz is still creating the PPP connection, so the IP that the BQM is pinging is on the Fritz. No different to the BQM pinging than using the Fritz itself as the modem.

t's a very peculiar device, the Fritzbox. Feature rich but lacking some controls such a blocking/allowing of ICMP on WAN (which I had to change on the Zyxel for that to work with BQM).
If the Zyxel is in modem mode, it won't make a difference, if you have the PPP logon credentials into the Zyxel, then its doing something different.

The Fritz devices are designed for Germany, and how the German ISPs operate.

I don't understand why router vendors copied Netgear (and US paranoia) in defaulting to not responding to ICMP echo.

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User JHo1
(member) Thu 21-Jan-21 13:35:36
Print Post

I'm on Zen. My Fritzbox is lurking behind a HG612 and I'm not seeing large numbers of dropped packets.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...

I do agree that it's a strange box. I have only put it in place a few days ago instead of an old but reliable Billion. As the Billion hasn't had any firmware updates for years I decided it might be a good idea to swap it out.

The Fritzbox modem really doesn't handle my line very well so it was relegated to the back of a cupboard for about a year.

John
Standard User dragon2611
(experienced) Thu 21-Jan-21 13:47:19
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I wonder if it's configurable but not exposed on the WebUI (Or hidden somewhere)

Do the ftriz boxes have a CLI based config as well?

I know of at least one router that exposed additional firewall parameters in TR69 that weren't anywhere in the WEB-UI.
Standard User Glenn2
(newbie) Thu 21-Jan-21 14:11:10
Print Post

[re: dragon2611] [link to this post]

Thanks yes I realise the router not the modem is responding to pings but changing modems was to see if it was related to line quality to the cabinet. The cabinet is Huawei (Broadcom) and the HG612 and Zyxel VMG1312-B10A I have are Broadcom, whereas the Fritzbox is Lantiq.

Letting the Zyxel do it all at the moment, today:
Zen Zyxel 21/01/21

Some dropped packets but maybe some is normal. This is very much like I was getting on the Fritz until this week,
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to