Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 21-Jan-21 15:24:28
Print Post

Re: Dropped packets on Zen + Fritzbox BQM

[re: dragon2611] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dragon2611:
I wonder if it's configurable but not exposed on the WebUI (Or hidden somewhere)
Do the ftriz boxes have a CLI based config as well?
I know of at least one router that exposed additional firewall parameters in TR69 that weren't anywhere in the WEB-UI.
All good questions, apologies, I'm not a Frizbox expert. I gather the manufacturer (AVM) has good support for their products.

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User Glenn2
(newbie) Thu 21-Jan-21 17:17:04
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I believe there is no telnet access
Standard User Glenn2
(newbie) Fri 22-Jan-21 10:57:58
Print Post

[re: Glenn2] [link to this post]

The Fritz!Box 7530 supports OpenWRT I see.
The DSL (and VoIP) functions aren't supported, but I could use it with the Zyzel in modem brodge mode (or the HG612) so no problem there/

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User melevittfl
(learned) Wed 03-Feb-21 11:59:09
Print Post

Are you noticing any other issues, other than the BQM graphs? I'd be inclined to think it's merely the Frtitzbox throttling its response to ICMP packets.

In other words, you're not really loosing packets, it's just the Frtizbox being overly eger to rate limit ping responses.

I used Zen's supplied Fritzbox for a while, but I replaced it. Maybe it's stable, but it's a bit of a toy when it comes to being able to actually configure how it works. I don't have the same model, but on mine, you couldn't even change the internal domain name it used. So every machine on the LAN had to be [hostname].fritz.box.

I replaced it with an EdgeRouter X. Little bit harder to get it configured, but once it's set up, I haven't had to touch it.
Standard User Glenn2
(newbie) Wed 03-Feb-21 12:24:33
Print Post

[re: melevittfl] [link to this post]

Yes I think it's just what the Fritzbox does. It's strange that some days it's small and other days it shows up 40% loss (even overnight when no traffic). Switching the Zyxel out of brdge mode (without even resyncing) so that it is replying to the BQM always cures it.

See this one:
BQM 29-01-2021
The period with no loss is where I switched the Zyxel's router in, then shortly after I switched the Fritz back in again, the loss came back but not as bad.

A couple of days ago I flashed OpenWRT onto the Fritz and obviously the 'problem' has gone. I realise I don't really gain anything as this packet loss on the BQM does not seem to affect my internet experience, but I'd still like a router that allows me to monitor my connection properly, which I now seem to have.

I can always flash back if I find any negatives with OpenWRT.

Edited by Glenn2 (Wed 03-Feb-21 13:40:21)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 03-Feb-21 14:28:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by Glenn2:
but I'd still like a router that allows me to monitor my connection properly, which I now seem to have.
That was always my thoughts about the Fritz hardware. I want to be in charge, not the router. If there is a configuration option for throttling ICMP on/off that would change my opinion. It seems to be memory of pre-router home internet that being "pingable" was a problem. Seemingly invented by Netgear, and the likes of ZoneAlarm and Steve Gibson raising hysteria. Patch the TCP/IP stack if it has a security vulnerability, otherwise why not reply to ICMP ECHO as normally ??!

Standard User prlzx
(experienced) Wed 03-Feb-21 16:02:49
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Yes - many protocols / service ports could be the subject of a flood or fragment-reassembly bug, and the focus on PING was something came to prominence because of a high profile bug in the network stack of Windows 98 as I recall.

Rate-limiting is ok as long as it is adjustable, and can be source-specific or in response to authentication failures (e.g. like fail2ban).

Unfortunately blanket blocking of ICMP is often embedded in enterprise thinking too, which creates obstacles for troubleshooting as well as rolling out IPv6.

prlzx on Zen: FTTC (VDSL) at ~40Mbps / 10Mbps
with IP4/6 (no v6? - not true Internet)
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 03-Feb-21 17:49:45
Print Post

[re: prlzx] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by prlzx:
Rate-limiting is ok as long as it is adjustable, and can be source-specific or in response to authentication failures (e.g. like fail2ban).
Completely agree, and with the enterprise thinking.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to