Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Woolwich
(committed) Wed 27-Jan-21 15:33:40
Print Post

An old ECI modem. Any use?

[link to this post]

Over on another thread I'm trying to squeeze more upload from my FTTC to make it worthwhile upgrading from 40/10 to 80/20.

There's been suggestions that FritzBoxes aren't as good as they could be on some lines. A "HG612" has been mentioned. I looked in the loft and found an old Openreach modem but its an ECI 061513. Not the same? Of any use? Can I reset it for my current connection settings and see if it makes any odds?
Standard User j0hn83
(knowledge is power) Sat 30-Jan-21 23:53:42
Print Post

Re: An old ECI modem. Any use?

[re: Woolwich] [link to this post]

You can.
It's completely locked with no access to stats.
You need to do soldering to unlock and flash the device to have any control over it.
It's pre-confugured as a dumb modem and should be plug and play.
Standard User MagicUK
(learned) Sun 31-Jan-21 08:48:57
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

the hg612 will give you stats but done know if theres any truth than eci modem works better with an eci openreach cabinet? i use the hg612 and am connected via a huewei cabinet.

DSLAM type / SW version: BDCM:0xa4a1 (164.161) / v0xa4a1
Modem/router firmware: AnnexA version - A2pv6C038m.d24j
DSL mode: VDSL2 Profile 17a
Uptime: 19 hours 5 min 33 sec
Resyncs: 0 (since 30 Jan 2021 17:20:30)

Downstream Upstream
Line attenuation (dB): 17.8 0.0
Signal attenuation (dB): Not monitored
Connection speed (kbps): 53252 19669
SNR margin (dB): 6.0 5.9
Power (dBm): 13.6 7.6
Interleave depth: 8 4
INP: 49.00 51.00
G.INP: Enabled Enabled
Vectoring status: 5 (VECT_UNCONFIGURED)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Woolwich
(committed) Sun 31-Jan-21 10:48:45
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

After I posted I remembered I have an unused FritzBox as supplied by Zen. (I already had my own FB which is a better model with DECT.) So all I need to do is use that in modem mode and change my current one to router mode.

I don't think its going to be worth the bother of getting the ECI to work or buying another. But if I had had one I could just plug in and see, that might have been interesting.
Standard User Woolwich
(committed) Sun 31-Jan-21 10:50:46
Print Post

[re: MagicUK] [link to this post]

I'm not sure what brand my cabinet is TBH. I'd have to go and look. All I know is my FritzBox says its connected to a "Broadcom: 12.3.16".
Standard User jpm
(member) Sun 31-Jan-21 11:49:14
Print Post

[re: Woolwich] [link to this post]

If the reason to do this is because you don't believe Fritzbox modems can get the most performance out of a line, then what is the point in putting a Fritzbox in modem mode in front of your current Fritzbox?
Standard User Woolwich
(committed) Sun 31-Jan-21 11:57:03
Print Post

[re: jpm] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jpm:
If the reason to do this is because you don't believe Fritzbox modems can get the most performance out of a line, then what is the point in putting a Fritzbox in modem mode in front of your current Fritzbox?

No, that's not the main reason. Its a physical networking issue and part of the solution is a separate modem. I've managed to increase the connection speed now anyway so I doubt a change of modem model will make that much difference.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 31-Jan-21 12:01:58
Print Post

[re: MagicUK] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MagicUK:
the hg612 will give you stats but done know if theres any truth than eci modem works better with an eci openreach cabinet? i use the hg612 and am connected via a huewei cabinet.

Early on that was the case, on OR played safe and tried to send out matching modems. Fairly quickly firmware tweaks changed it and it did not really matter. I am on a Huawei cabinet and the ECI modem performed slightly better than both HG612s however, I kept a the HG612 installed as I could access line data.

I recently sent the various modems back to BT for recycling!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Magicuk27
(regular) Sun 31-Jan-21 15:12:19
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Wow. I’ve got an eci modem so don’t know if it’s worth plugging in and having a look what I get. No stats though is there?
  Print Thread

Jump to