User comments on ISPs
  >> Eclipse Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User APTMAN
(newbie) Thu 16-Oct-14 14:16:34
Print Post

Re: Eclipse Business only ISP now

[re: BuckyOHare] [link to this post]

Taken from a tweet,
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eclipse Internet ‏@EclipseInternet

We’re still offering connections to new home customers through our customer service team, coupled with the same great service.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes but what price, in a email to me they said they have always been business isp. !
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 16-Oct-14 15:31:35
Print Post

[re: APTMAN] [link to this post]

Well given no sign of packages on website we removed all the home packages from their listings.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mrchod
(newbie) Mon 20-Oct-14 21:16:18
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Interesting. So this may be why they've started to royally screw with my service over the last 6 months.

Up until then I had a great internet connection. I paid a huge premium for it though £64 a month for unlimited and 40Mbps down and 10Mbps upload. But for 6 months they've metered my account to 10% of that capacity at peak times. I now see a lot of buffering where previously I had none.

I know they're metering it because I did a fair few speed tests BT Wholesale and Ookla and when I confronted them about it over their ticketing system they responded thus:

Extremely poor performance

(Call Transferred) Thank you for contacting technical support

Sorry to hear you have been experiencing issues with your connection speed

Yes, like many other ISPs we use a traffic management system to help us manage our network. All our Broadband customers share the same network, so we need to make sure that everyone receives a fair and consistent level of service.

We’ve designed our system to be as unobtrusive as possible. It only applies temporary speed restrictions to connections that use an excessive amount of bandwidth at peak times.

For the money I'm paying I wouldn't have thought it fair to limit my connection to the same extent as users paying less also get throttled down to. But they seem to think that being fair means everyone gets the same [censored] performance regardless of what you pay. So I may as well have signed up for their cheapest offering.

So much for them going the route of business only. Until I recently I would have used Kcom (Eclipse) as they are on the Government procurement scheme - now I won't even give them the chance.

When March comes it's off to yet another ISP to see if I can get closer to getting value for money - because Eclipse sure ain't.

Speed Test Results

Edited by mrchod (Mon 20-Oct-14 21:41:46)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User SpooRancher
(newbie) Mon 20-Oct-14 22:47:20
Print Post

[re: mrchod] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mrchod:
Interesting. So this may be why they've started to royally screw with my service over the last 6 months.

Very interesting to hear from someone else getting the same heavy throttling that I'm seeing,

It's also interesting to see that Eclipse now admit to traffic shaping. My long, long, long interactions with technical support could never get them to own up to that - it was always "you seem to get issues when our system is under heavy load".

As for them only throttling people who make heavy use in peak hours - that's rubbish. I don't make heavy use at all - most days it's web browsing. I think it's more likely that they heavily throttle their domestic customers to give their business users better performance.
Standard User BuckyOHare
(newbie) Wed 22-Oct-14 22:24:55
Print Post

[re: SpooRancher] [link to this post]

Your not alone in being heavily throttled I have had the same experience lately and not just at peak times but even between what is supposed to be the unlimited time period of 11pm to 9am. When I complained about it I got the same response about metering in peak periods when I challenged that by saying it also happened outside peak periods they tried the usual its your modem / router / equipment line, but suddenly the traffic management seems to have stopped in non peak periods.

I am still wondering if because they have essentially dropped advertising home connections whether its enough to be able to get out of the rest of my contract so I can migrate to a cheaper ISP.

I have also noticed that they don't seem to be monitoring this forum any more

Eclipse Lightspeed Fibre
Standard User SpooRancher
(newbie) Wed 22-Oct-14 23:00:46
Print Post

[re: BuckyOHare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BuckyOHare:
I am still wondering if because they have essentially dropped advertising home connections whether its enough to be able to get out of the rest of my contract so I can migrate to a cheaper ISP.

They agreed that the service I was getting was so bad that they'd let me end the contract early with no penalty (I haven't left them yet for various reasons).

They are getting even worse now by the day - I get unthrottled at around 0800 in the morning, but from 0900 till after I go to bed it's down to 2Mbit/s per port (or less!)
Standard User kingsmeadow
(newbie) Sun 26-Oct-14 10:29:42
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I contacted them about this and was informed that as of Oct 6 they stopped taken any residential orders. Existing residential customers will still be supported and can also regrade through their online portal.
Standard User sparky_paul
(experienced) Mon 27-Oct-14 18:49:29
Print Post

[re: kingsmeadow] [link to this post]

First I've heard of this too. Anybody know what's going on?

Is this the beginning of the end for home users?

Also, when navigating the site, I'm getting random

Service Unavailable

HTTP Error 503. The service is unavailable.

eclipse internet

Edited by sparky_paul (Mon 27-Oct-14 19:21:11)

Standard User sparky_paul
(experienced) Mon 27-Oct-14 19:00:35
Print Post

[re: sparky_paul] [link to this post]

Also noticed the slowdowns that others have. Never exactly fast here on this rural line, but speeds are noticeably lower during the day...

Edited by sparky_paul (Mon 27-Oct-14 19:55:04)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 27-Oct-14 20:01:10
Print Post

[re: sparky_paul] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by sparky_paul:
First I've heard of this too. Anybody know what's going on?

Is this the beginning of the end for home users?
Yes. You should migrate to another ISP.

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to