User comments on ISPs
  >> Entanet International Ltd.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 15-Nov-10 08:13:24
Print Post

Re: IPv6

[re: Wotan] [link to this post]

That's a great reply Wotan. Thanks smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User ukfsn
(knowledge is power) Mon 15-Nov-10 14:52:55
Print Post

[re: Wotan] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Wotan:
On Linux, IPv4 & IPv6 run side by side.

If a site has an IPv6 address only, that address will be used.
If a site has both IPv6 and IPv4 addresses, the IPv6 address will be used.

I have not encountered any sites that I could access when I had only IPv4, that I cannot access now that I have both IPv6 and IPv4. (when using BT 21CN connectivity)

There is a case in which you can run into problems. Where a site publishes DNS records for IPv4 (A record) and IPv6 (AAAA record) and you are unable to connect via IPv6 some systems will time out on IPv6 and will not try IPv4 even though that does work.

Debian Etch suffered this problem and it was a serious pain in the ....

UK Free Software Network
http://www.ukfsn.org/
ADSL Broadband, Dialup, Hosting, Domains, SSL and more
Standard User andew
(regular) Fri 19-Nov-10 13:14:26
Print Post

[re: ukfsn] [link to this post]

According to enta's partner site that information is incorrect.

18th November 2010 IPv6 CLARIFICATION
We would like to remind all partners that Entanetís network is enabled to support IPv6. However, our DSL, colocation and leased line services are set to use IPv4 as default to ensure that customersí setup is correct prior to adopting IPv6, for example in terms of having IPv6 supporting hardware and firewalls in place. If you or your customers would like to upgrade to IPv6 you can do so easily and for no extra charge by emailing [email protected]

Regards

Andrew

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukfsn
(knowledge is power) Fri 19-Nov-10 18:50:07
Print Post

[re: andew] [link to this post]

The partner notification is the first communication I've had about this since they told me that they had suspended the IPv6 trial in January this year.

It is good to know that customers can now get IPv6, subject to the customer having a CPE that actually supports it which is still a rarity.

UK Free Software Network
http://www.ukfsn.org/
ADSL Broadband, Dialup, Hosting, Domains, SSL and more
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Fri 26-Nov-10 09:23:30
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

You might be interested in this article posted yesterday by Entanet: IPv6 do or die

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 26-Nov-10 10:31:04
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by b4dger:
You might be interested in this article posted yesterday by Entanet: IPv6 do or die
Thanks for that too smile.

All a bit confusing with some people forecasting imminent melt-down and others saying it's no big deal. That article is quite well argued and convincing, but definitely on the doom side.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User drogon
(learned) Sat 27-Nov-10 17:24:09
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
IIRC this has been available on Entanet for quite a long time. Am I right?

If so, apparently there can be drawbacks - see this thread.

Any good or bad experiences please? Just want to form a view on the subject.

FWIW: I've been using Entanet's IPv6 offering for a week or so now - natively without going via a tunnel of any sort.

So if you want IPv6 then ask your reseller for it to be enabled and for your own /64 to be routed to you.

I can't say it's plain sailing though - you will need either an ADSL router that supports it natively, or use a modem in true bridge mode (e.g. Vigor 120 which I'm using) and then run PPPoE on your own router - either a Linux/*BSD box, or another router that supports it, and supports IPv6. I've also had MTU issues too, but I suspect that might be an artifact of running IPv6 over PPPoE via a PPPoE to PPPoA bridge...

You'll also need to learn IPv6 firewalling because you can't trust NAT anymore smile

(Well, you can NAT IPv6, but let's face, it the whole point of having a virtually unlimited supply of IP addresses means we shouldn't ever have to!)

There isn't a lot out there on ipv6 yet, but unless someone makes a start, then that's not going to change. I'm looking to give all my hosted servers/websites, etc. their own IPv6 addresses early next year as soon as my co-lo providers gets their systems up to speed.

Some estimates of running out of IPv4 addresses put the date as soon as March 2011! The Internet won't stop then, but I suspect new allocations will slow down as the ISPs do a bit of squeezing and consolodating. I reckon it will still last for a few years before there is a serious problem, but why should we wait for that to happen?

G
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Sun 28-Nov-10 09:34:15
Print Post

[re: drogon] [link to this post]

Hi,
What router are you now using?

Standard User drogon
(learned) Sun 28-Nov-10 10:05:19
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by b4dger:
Hi,
What router are you now using?

A self-built Linux box. Basically a PC with 5 Ethernet ports running Debian with a custom compiled kernel and iptables setup - I have a rather "interesting" network - more for my own use than anything else, but it includes support for 2 Wi-Fi access points, a separate DMZ (or 2) and some other "stuff".

G
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Sun 28-Nov-10 10:51:31
Print Post

[re: drogon] [link to this post]

Sorry, I should have asked what 'modem' you are using smile

I'm a broadcom chipset fan so am starting to look at IPv6 compatible ones.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to