User comments on ISPs
  >> Entanet International Ltd.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User drogon
(learned) Sun 28-Nov-10 12:29:34
Print Post

Re: IPv6

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by b4dger:
Sorry, I should have asked what 'modem' you are using smile

I'm a broadcom chipset fan so am starting to look at IPv6 compatible ones.

A Draytek Vigor 120 modem/bridge.

You might want to check this link:

List of devices

for hints to which makes/models might work..

G
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Sun 28-Nov-10 13:55:06
Print Post

[re: drogon] [link to this post]

Thanks. I was directed to that list by someone the other day.
There only seem to be a handful of routers?! Doesn't seem right for something that's supposed to be so important...

Is it going to be another Y2K ? wink

Standard User drogon
(learned) Sun 28-Nov-10 14:03:27
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by b4dger:
Thanks. I was directed to that list by someone the other day.
There only seem to be a handful of routers?! Doesn't seem right for something that's supposed to be so important...

Is it going to be another Y2K ? wink

You're right - it's bonkers! IPv6 has been with us for 10 years, yet only now (some) people are doing something about it.

I don't think the world of Internet will end come March, but I do think there will be a bit of a rush soon - maybe towards the end of 2011. The local registrys will likely start to squeeze things a bit - so most of us won't notice anything for quite some time.

And right now there aren't many sites even using IPv6 - I can't get it in my co-lo as my upstream don't support it - yet (promised for early 2011 though). (I could use a tunnel-broker, but that just adds more hops and more Internet to the data, and I'll need to renumber when I do get an allocation for my co-lo, so it's not worth it right now for anything other than some simple testing)

It's probably a huge chicken & egg situation right now - the content providers won't go IPv6 (or at least not pure IPv6), because no-one at home/office is IPv6 and the ISPs won't provide IPv6 because there's no demand... (or none precieved)

G

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User xela
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 24-Dec-10 12:24:09
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

> If so, how do you get round that? Can you have both protocols operating simultaneously? Ie a graceful fail-safe on v6.

Yep - you run them side by side.

You've been able to do this - easily - for literally years on most operating systems..

mac screenshot - if my router supported IPv6, my computer would have picked up the IPv6 settings automatically. I'm pretty sure it's just as simple on windows (I had it running on Windows XP at one point) but I don't recall where you find all the settings.
Standard User Uilebheist
(legend) Sun 09-Jan-11 10:44:41
Print Post

[re: drogon] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by drogon:
And right now there aren't many sites even using IPv6 - I can't get it in my co-lo as my upstream don't support it - yet (promised for early 2011 though). (I could use a tunnel-broker, but that just adds more hops and more Internet to the data, and I'll need to renumber when I do get an allocation for my co-lo, so it's not worth it right now for anything other than some simple testing)

Well, depends on the tunnel provider etc, but I find that tunnelled IPv6 is often faster than native IPv4 from one of my colocated servers. May be because it is in the same datacentre as the tunnel server, and they appear to have better connectivity to the rest of the world.
On the other hand on another colocated server the situation is reversed and the IPv6 tunnel is noticeably slower. Since they started offering native IPv6 I no longer care though.
it is possible to run tunnels and native IPv6 side by side and I've tried doing it. It's not easy and it could be a bit of nightmare to set up properly (actually trying to do that initially resulted in me using the NetBSD "bug report" facility more than I'd like to do frown)
So yes, if your provider may end up giving native IPv6 "soon" it may not be worth the effort of using tunnels. But if they just keeppromising and not delivering, tunnels may work surprisingly well.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to