User comments on ISPs
  >> Entanet International Ltd.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User borguk1of9
(committed) Mon 23-Jan-12 15:46:47
Print Post

Re: ADSL2

[re: borguk1of9] [link to this post]

Finally up, I thought we got up 2.5mb/s up on Business 45 ?

Downstream Upstream

Data rate(Kbps)
23441Kb 1131Kb

Noise Margin
6 7

Output power(dBm)
105 201

Attenuation(dB)
15 1
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 23-Jan-12 16:11:44
Print Post

Up to 2.5Mbps upstream is Annex M. An extra £8.50 + Vat. See the ** against the product description. Though it doesn't make it clear that Annex M is required and that without it you only get the up to 1.4Mbps.

Judging by your downstream stats you should get the full 2.5 I would have thought, with no downstream loss, but the upstream of only 1131kbps on Annex A at the moment is strange.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User borguk1of9
(committed) Mon 23-Jan-12 16:33:06
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I have had 2 weeks of BT cock ups with my line being placed on the wrong equipment, so wouldn't be surprised if something was a miss.
What would you expect to see on the Annexe A the full 1.3mb/s

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 23-Jan-12 17:36:55
Print Post

In a way, yes I would, in a way no, I wouldn't.

The things that are clearly Annex A are listed as up to 1Mbps. Seeing as you are getting more than that, and IIRC Enta Annex A is up to 1.3 or 1.4Mbps, from various reseller sites in the past, I assume it is just Jason being (acceptably) cautious. No-one is going to complain about getting more than they signed up for.

It could just be the particular characteristics of your line. Given the extra upstream frequencies of Annex M, I'm sure you would get something pretty healthy, even if not the full 2.5.

Just in case you don't know, the way it works is that Annex M nicks some of the lowest downstream frequencies to use for upstream. On lines with a downstream sync of around 16Mbps on Annex A the loss of those can cause a downstream loss of up to 2.5Mbps. The nearer the Annex A downstream is to 24Mbps the less you lose, as there is sufficient spare "bin" capacity in the very high frequencies to make good the loss. I think at not far above 20Mbps on Annex A the downstream loss by a move to Annex M is negligible.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Standard User borguk1of9
(committed) Mon 23-Jan-12 17:45:58
Print Post

I didnt know that, thanks for letting me know.

They only reason I would consider going for Annexe M is for my HD Webcam, I understand or it used to me 1mb sysmetrical to run on. My son has emigrated to Oz and talking to him on Skype is very high on my requirements.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 23-Jan-12 22:36:23
Print Post

Re: ADSL2+

Depends how you view £10.20pm for Annex M smile.

Did you go for a Business package just for that, because it's available on the Family ones as well, with the Family 60 being a fraction cheaper. Or is the greater unlimited period on Business important?

Standard User borguk1of9
(committed) Tue 24-Jan-12 15:31:52
Print Post

Depending on the project I am on depends on how much I work from home.
I went Business 45 for the greater upload speed, I will live with 1mb upload.
It will be 5 years before my town sees FTTH.

Downstream has risen to 24381Kb since yesterday as well, however had the router lose the BB again at lunchtime again. Anyone recommend a good 6 port adsl2 router with very good wireless range.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 24-Jan-12 15:52:50
Print Post

If you have a spare wireless router you can connect it via ethernet of up to 100 metres to your existing one, disable DHCP on it, and use it as remote ethernet ports, three available on each, and set up the wireless in a variety of ways.

Some people have it so they get an almost seamless changeover if they walk around with a connected laptop. I think it's done using the same SSID and a different fixed channel. Or you could have a different SSID if you aren't going to move around. Channels separated by 4 are best in either case, but there's also the question of what other routers are close on similar channels causing interference.

Would Family 30 plus Annex M do?

Standard User borguk1of9
(committed) Tue 24-Jan-12 19:06:51
Print Post

I will give that a try, I have 2 spare Belkin G routers kicking about in my desk.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 24-Jan-12 20:38:18
Print Post

You need to change the add-on router's default address to something fixed in the main router's subnet, outside the range you allow that to allocate. Else they can't talk.

Should have said before, sorry.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to