I submitted a report to NETGEAR asking about this. Does thos sound right? I don't want to do anything that will mess with my internet connection:
Thank you for choosing Netgear. My name is Vishnu(Expert ID:1270), and I am your support Expert today.
I understand that you are experiencing a problem of intermittent connection with NETGEAR wireless router. I apologize for this inconvenience. Because we are doing this online, it might require a few email exchanges to resolve the issue. Rest assured that i will do my best to resolve your case quickly.
Here are the troubleshooting steps i recommend you to resolve your concern:
Please connect your computer wired to the router and follow the steps to reduce the MTU size on the router:
01. Open Internet Explorer or any other browser and access the site: http://192.168.0.1 or http://routerlogin.com/basicsetting.htm.
By default, the username is admin, the password is password (If you have changed the password then try with that password).
02. Go to WAN Setup.
03. Reduce the MTU to 1300 and apply the changes.
04. You can also try other MTU values like 1492, 1440, 1400 etc.
Please try with different MTU values and check the status.
Please click on the link below to find the snapshots for the above steps:
Please connect a computer wired to the router (using a Ethernet cable) and follow the steps to change the default gateway in the router.
1) Open Internet Explorer or any other browser and access the site: http://192.168.0.1 or http://routerlogin.com/basicsetting.htm.
By default, enter the User name as "admin" and Password as "password" (If you have changed the password then try with that password).
2) Click on the advance section and click on the Internet setup select “NO” under the option “Does your internet connection require a login”.
3) Select the option “Use there DNS servers” under “Domain Name Server (DNS) Address” and enter the primary DNS as 18.104.22.168 and secondary DNS as 22.214.171.124.
4) Click on apply to save the changes.
I hope this resolves the problem. Please contact us again if you require further assistance.
Please do visit http://support.netgear.com
for any technical queries regarding NETGEAR products.
A notice will automatically be sent to your email address when i respond to your inquiry. Please DO NOT REPLY to that email. Instead, to add additional information to your case, click No to the question "Was your problem resolved with the information provided by the NETGEAR representative above?"
If you click YES, your case will be closed and a separate email containing a survey link will be sent so you can share with us your customer support experience.
Thanks again for choosing NETGEAR. Have a great day!