User comments on ISPs
  >> Entanet International Ltd.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Lethe
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 16-Oct-13 12:38:18
Print Post

UKFSN FTTC upgrade

[link to this post]

Lots of negative stuff about UKFSN, but...

I have just returned from a holiday in Malta, and while away received a mail from Jason @ UKFSN offering a free upgrade to FTTC.

I got back yesterday (4 hours late due to Easyjet computer systems crash ~ a nightmare) and shipped a mail off this morning early.

UKFSN processed order, Enta got back to me, sorted appointment - Engineer booked for a week Thursday!.

Excellent service and a free upgrade.

Good stuff smile

Nick

Edited by Lethe (Wed 16-Oct-13 12:56:02)

Standard User HarryHomers
(regular) Thu 17-Oct-13 10:22:01
Print Post

Re: UKFSN FTTC upgrade

[re: Lethe] [link to this post]

may be a free upgrade but watch its not a new extended contract

Cheers.

Mike.
Standard User Lethe
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 17-Oct-13 13:10:50
Print Post

[re: HarryHomers] [link to this post]

Yes, a one year contract... but seeing as I have been with ukfsn for yonks (since it started, actually), that doesn't worry me.

Nick

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukfsn
(knowledge is power) Fri 18-Oct-13 14:42:22
Print Post

[re: HarryHomers] [link to this post]

All Fibre broadband services mean a new contract. With UKFSN - because we use services from Enta - that is a one year contract.

With the likes of BT it's a two year minimum term.

BT Wholesale force a minimum 12 month contract term on fibre installations.

UK Free Software Network
http://www.ukfsn.org/
ADSL Broadband, Hosting, Domains, SSL and more
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Fri 18-Oct-13 15:12:21
Print Post

Does that include a £99 charge for activation?
Standard User Lethe
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 18-Oct-13 15:38:52
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

No - it's a *free* upgrade at new price per month (about £6.00 more than I pay now).

Nick
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Fri 18-Oct-13 15:52:29
Print Post

[re: ukfsn] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukfsn:
With the likes of BT it's a two year minimum term.

I might have mis-understood but BT offer their Infinity package with a 12 month contract?

Or on an 18 month one an unlimited package for £23pm with BT sport thrown in!
Seems very competitive to me...

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Fri 18-Oct-13 15:54:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by Lethe:
No - it's a *free* upgrade at new price per month (about £6.00 more than I pay now).

Nick

Thanks - http://www.ukfsn.org/broadband/family-broadband.html isn't that clear regarding migrations/activations.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 18-Oct-13 16:00:11
Print Post

[cough]
BT Infinity is an 18-month minimum term, as are (I think) all of the biggies.

Isn't it Openreach impose the 12-month term, and BTW just fall in with that? There's nothing to stop even BT Wholesale ISPs selling shorter terms.

What are the FTTC early termination charges on Entanet/UKFSN? I can get out of my 18-month term for £5.75 per outstanding month, on an 80/20 unlimited product smile.

Edit - just seen badger's post. He is right, the BT 40/10 product is a 12-month term. Though to me it looks as though that also includes BT Sport.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 55.8/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 18-Oct-13 16:03:32)

Standard User Lethe
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 18-Oct-13 16:00:52
Print Post

Yes, I have seen that info, but this was a mail shot with a new deal for a free upgrade if ordered by 18th Oct.

As I stated, I was away in Malta and got back in time to action it. Once UKFSN put the order in, I got a mail from Enta to approve the order and book a date for engineer visit - the web form verified ~no charge~

Nick

*edit* I guess this is only for existing UKFSN customers on ADSL?

Edited by Lethe (Fri 18-Oct-13 16:02:22)

Standard User Lethe
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 18-Oct-13 16:05:22
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
What are the FTTC early termination charges on Entanet/UKFSN?

The contract states you pay pro-rata depending on how many months are left. But that is no issue, as I will not be leaving.

Nick
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Fri 18-Oct-13 16:10:32
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

Yes, for example, looks like it would be £35.99 for "family unlimited" + £3.90 for "profile 3" 80/20 = £39.89 per month (and some uncertainty about the migration/activation charge of £99 - probably if migrating from LLU or cable?)
Standard User Lethe
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 18-Oct-13 16:14:26
Print Post

One thing that BT doesn't offer - support like you get from Enta/UKFSN. I have no qualms about paying a little bit more for a little bit less for a quality service.

That said, I did have a lot of issues with my [censored] dsl line, but Enta did sort it in the end with no cost to me.

Nick
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Fri 18-Oct-13 16:22:53
Print Post

One thing that BT doesn't offer - support like you get from Enta/UKFSN. I have no qualms about paying a little bit more for a little bit less for a quality service.

I agree good support is definitely worth the extra monthly cost smile

I'm currently looking at the various fibre "broadband only" deals because FTTC will be available around here soon and some of my neighbours will be interested in getting fibre...
Standard User Lethe
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 18-Oct-13 16:26:32
Print Post

Well, my main reason is my line cannot hang on to a adsl2/2+ connection, so I have bog standard adsl (which techies at Enta worked out to stop the disconnections and DLM capping).

Hopefully it isn't my copper to the cabinet that is fubarred.

Nick
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Fri 18-Oct-13 16:37:14
Print Post

I seem to remember that you went to ADSL1 from ADSL2+ to cure the stability issues?

Some of my neighbours are on TalkTalk LLU and the possibility of paying £99 for fibre activation will certainly be a disincentive - Plusnet may be the best option for some of them at the moment since they do "broadband only" on an 18 month contract with an activation charge of £50...and we are in a Plusnet "low cost area".

Edited by 4M2 (Fri 18-Oct-13 16:54:57)

Standard User Lethe
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 18-Oct-13 16:40:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by 4M2:
I seem to remember that you went to ADSL1 from ADSL2+ to cure the stability issues?

Yes, and no - long story. It worked for a few days but I kept getting disconnects. So since about 4 months ago line is now bog standard adsl and syncs at top speed. No capping when I get disconnects either.

Nick
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 18-Oct-13 16:59:05
Print Post

Yes, I was just surprised at the rubbish Jason just came out with. As statements like his can become internet fact very easily an immediate contradiction was needed. In the circumstances I thought it justified also to throw in a counter-balance.

Enta I agree is a good provider.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User ukfsn
(knowledge is power) Fri 18-Oct-13 19:57:25
Print Post

Yes, for example, looks like it would be £35.99 for "family unlimited" + £3.90 for "profile 3" 80/20 = £39.89 per month (and some uncertainty about the migration/activation charge of £99 - probably if migrating from LLU or cable?)

That is the correct monthly price.

The activation fee is zero at the moment. That includes migration from LLU.

UK Free Software Network
Standard User ukfsn
(knowledge is power) Fri 18-Oct-13 19:59:42
Print Post

*edit* I guess this is only for existing UKFSN customers on ADSL?

No. It is valid for anyone and is still available for until Friday 25th October (the actual cut off date is for installation by Monday 4th Nov but that works out to the 25th for ordering).

UK Free Software Network
Standard User ukfsn
(knowledge is power) Fri 18-Oct-13 20:01:00
Print Post

[cough]
BT Infinity is an 18-month minimum term, as are (I think) all of the biggies.

Thank you for the correct. I was going from memory and had not checked BT recently.

Isn't it Openreach impose the 12-month term, and BTW just fall in with that? There's nothing to stop even BT Wholesale ISPs selling shorter terms.

It's the same company. BT Openreach and BT Wholesale are both BT Plc.

UK Free Software Network
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Fri 18-Oct-13 20:14:50
Print Post

That is the correct monthly price.

The activation fee is zero at the moment. That includes migration from LLU.

Thanks for the info smile

Will check again after 25th Oct...
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 18-Oct-13 22:17:26
Print Post

Thank you for the correct. I was going from memory and had not checked BT recently.
Umm Jason. It never was two years. It's the 12 months rather than 18 on Infinity 1 that is new.
It's the same company. BT Openreach and BT Wholesale are both BT Plc.
Errr - not that simple, as you well know. Again, you are saying things that you should not - it's difficult enough explaining to the na´ve that they aren't, without you, an ISP, saying it for google to pick up frown.

There is no legal compulsion on BT Wholesale to impose a 12-month term on its customers, i.e. the CPs, but it is perfectly reasonable for Group policy to dictate it.

Similarly, whatever terms BT Wholesale have for their customers, ISPs such as Entanet, A & A, Zen or IDNet could quite legitimately run FTTC products on monthly rather than 12-month terms. It's just a commercial issue. The fact that a PlusNet customer can exit at month 2 of 18 on vastly reduced terms illustrates this, which is why I posted it.

Standard User sthen
(committed) Sat 19-Oct-13 10:03:56
Print Post

Similarly, whatever terms BT Wholesale have for their customers, ISPs such as Entanet, A & A, Zen or IDNet could quite legitimately run FTTC products on monthly rather than 12-month terms. It's just a commercial issue. The fact that a PlusNet customer can exit at month 2 of 18 on vastly reduced terms illustrates this, which is why I posted it.

While the ISP are on 12 month terms with BT for the connection itself, the ISP doesn't have to pass this on, and if that line is no longer used they won't be paying for bandwidth used on it (BT bandwidth charges are the most expensive part for many connections). As further illustration, for Home::1 A & A have a 6-month minimum which then moves over to a rolling monthly contract (and unlike PlusNet they aren't even owned by BT smile)
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 19-Oct-13 11:16:43
Print Post

[re: sthen] [link to this post]

There is no bandwidth charge for the connection to the exchange. The charge is at the MSIL for the combined traffic through it. A single user disappearing is unlikely to have a significant effect there smile.

Standard User Lethe
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 24-Oct-13 08:42:59
Print Post

Well, engineers been and gone - took about 15 minutes, and all works perfectly.

Took me about 3 minutes to reconfigure my router, and connection is great smile

Nick
Standard User Kimi
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 26-Oct-13 21:12:25
Print Post

lol
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to