User comments on ISPs
  >> Entanet International Ltd.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User partial
(member) Fri 01-Nov-13 21:36:01
Print Post

Re: Incorrect

[re: Lethe] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Lethe:
Charity type thingy I think as all profits go to FreeSoftware foundation (or the like).

Nick

UKFSN is not a charity. It is true that £250 was utilised by the Association For Free Software way back in 2005. Since then, what has happened to the money is unclear.

The company is now dissolved so i would not anticipate any further utilisation of funds donated to worthy causes further to the £250 back in 2005 as the limited company no longer exists.

UKFSN Limited was a serial Companies House late filing offender. So I would imagine far more money was paid to the Crown in penalties than paid to worthy causes. Assuming the penalties due to the Crown were ever paid.

Edited by partial (Fri 01-Nov-13 21:48:17)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 01-Nov-13 21:53:20
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

I think Jason would have said what happened to any money. I have not the slightest doubt of his probity. I've already posted the last thing he said on the subject, when challenged by someone a few years ago.

The truth is, there hasn't been any money to do anything with. Any profit, at any time in the last few years, would have gone towards paying Companies House fines for non-filing of Company Returns and Annual Accounts. These fines are not small. Plus accountant's fees for saving UKFSN from being struck off every year as far back as I remember.

I did manage a while ago to persuade him to do the Company Returns online, (or maybe he did it by snail-mail, but at least I got him to do them), as it is so simple. He obviously didn't have accounts. Just invoices, cheque stubs and bank statements, that he handed over to his accountant.

I did think he must have been paying horrendous fines to HMRC to do with Vat returns and payments, (been there, done that, and they are horrendous), but we have just established he probably wasn't registered for Vat anyway.

Some penalties for previous years must have been paid else he wouldn't had survived as long as he did.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 55.8/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User ukfsn
(knowledge is power) Sun 03-Nov-13 09:39:34
Print Post

Re: UKFSN problems.... again!

[re: richsmith] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by richsmith:
However, a few months ago my payments to UKFSN's bank account were rejected by their bank. Despite sending several emails pointing this out, and unanswered phone calls, there was no response by UKFSN.

That is not true. While I did not reply to all of your emails I did reply to the substance in them in several replies.

Furthermore I emailed you twice in June to notify you that your standing order would no longer be valid and that you should cancel it.

In reply to a post by richsmith:
Now I've left, UKFSN are sending me demands for money, threatening legal action. My emails in response have (rather predictably) been ignored!

I'm not keen on paying this cash given the circumstances. What are my options? Do I have any right to arbitration through Entanet or Ofcom (etc.?)

Again this is not true. I have replied to you although not to every email as that would simply be repeating myself. After admitting that you owe UKFSN money - and confirming that by stating that you tried to send payment, albeit by a method you had been notified was not valid, you have refused to actually pay the debt.

Your connection was not supplied by or through Entanet. You know this so I am wondering at your motivation in posting to this particular forum.

UK Free Software Network
http://www.ukfsn.org/
ADSL Broadband, Hosting, Domains, SSL and more

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukfsn
(knowledge is power) Sun 03-Nov-13 09:43:30
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by partial:
UKFSN is not a charity. It is true that £250 was utilised by the Association For Free Software way back in 2005. Since then, what has happened to the money is unclear.

AFFS received more than that from UKFSN. I would have liked AFFS to be more effective in distributing the money. They were not.

Once it was clear AFFS was not able to handle the task I launched a Free Software student bursary scheme under which thousands were distributed while UKFSN was making a profit. I wish it had been more however UKFSN has not made a profit for a long time - and not because I've been getting rich off of it. My own income from UKFSN has long been well below the tax threshold and that is not through an avoidance measure but because the total of everything I received is below the limit.

UK Free Software Network
Standard User partial
(member) Sun 03-Nov-13 20:10:41
Print Post

[re: ukfsn] [link to this post]

>>AFFS received more than that from UKFSN. I would have liked AFFS to be more effective in distributing the money. They were not.

I said that £250 was utilised by AFFS way back in 2005. Are you saying more than £250 was utilised by AFFS back in 2005? As this would be different to previous information that you have given.

>>Once it was clear AFFS was not able to handle the task I launched a Free Software student bursary scheme under which thousands were distributed while UKFSN was making a profit.

The money given to the UKFSN bursary scheme for students has never been published so it is difficult to come to any meaningful conclusion on how much money has been given to worthy causes via this scheme and how many students have benefited.

>>I wish it had been more however UKFSN has not made a profit for a long time - and not because I've been getting rich off of it.

I have never thought that you are dishonest, just incompetent.

As a provider that claims to give all profits to worthy causes and marketed as such, it would be in the interest of your subscribers to know just how much has given to worthy causes, balanced against how much has been paid in late filing penalties donated to the Crown.

Punters who like to support worthy causes could then compare with the money donated to worthy causes by providers such as BT, TalkTalk, Sky and even Daisy.

Edited by partial (Sun 03-Nov-13 20:12:27)

Standard User richsmith
(newbie) Mon 04-Nov-13 00:34:52
Print Post

Ah finally! Some response from UKFSN. It seems that you are unwilling to reply to your customers directly, but will reply when you have some publicity in an online forum which comes up second in Google after searching UKFSN.

That is not true. While I did not reply to all of your emails I did reply to the substance in them in several replies.

Furthermore I emailed you twice in June to notify you that your standing order would no longer be valid and that you should cancel it.

You've ignored a LOT of my emails. For example, the one on the 2nd July asking to switch to another service and the reminder on the 15th July. They were completely ignored, not "replied to in substance".

You did say that the standing order would no longer be valid. However, you also said that you would be in contact shortly to arrange a new payment method. You didn't get in touch. I sent you an email when my payment was rejected on the 17th July (and then another reminder on the 5th August) to ask about payment. You ignored both. I tried to phone but there was no answer.

You finally got around to sending me an invoice on the 10th October, months after I asked about payment. Why should I be inconvenienced by being expected to pay a large sum months after I did everything I could to pay on time? And with absolutely no information about what was happening in that period?

Again this is not true. I have replied to you although not to every email as that would simply be repeating myself. After admitting that you owe UKFSN money - and confirming that by stating that you tried to send payment, albeit by a method you had been notified was not valid, you have refused to actually pay the debt.

I haven't admitted I owe UKFSN money -- according to your "Terms and Conditions":
6. We shall respond promptly to any communication we receive from you.
I don't believe you have held up your part of the contract.

However I'm willing to negotiate - starting with an explanation/apology of why your communication has been so terrible.

You appear to have removed the DNS records from the domain I have registered with you, which means my emails over the last weekend have not been received. I'm not sure if this is an error on your part or if you are attempting to hold me hostage by removing data from a separate service I have paid you for. In any case please stop, this is highly unreasonable.

If you would like to reply to me outside this forum my usual email address won't work unless you restore my DNS records.

Your connection was not supplied by or through Entanet. You know this so I am wondering at your motivation in posting to this particular forum.

I had forgotten my service was no longer supplied through Entanet. Still, this information about your idea of customer service is probably of interest to other UKFSN customers who are supplied through Entanet.
Standard User richsmith
(newbie) Fri 13-Dec-13 00:02:48
Print Post

Just a postscript to this complaint. I have now left UKFSN and have transferred my domains away too.

Jason displayed very unethical behaviour in disabling the DNS records of the domain I had registered with him as a service I had paid for separately.

My father died suddenly at around the same time as all this and Jason displayed extreme insensitivity in refusing to reinstate the DNS records while I was trying to stay in touch with relatives. His only response when I told him this was "I will not enter into any further discussion on the matter with you while the debt remains outstanding."

All I can say in summary is that Jason seems like a highly unpleasant and unethical individual and incompetent at running an ISP. I would advise anyone using UKFSN as a registrar and an ISP to transfer their domains or else Jason will hold the domain to hostage in case of any dispute (of course, my attempts to obtain a migration code for my domains were ignored and eventually I had to contact his upstream registrar).

I paid the outstanding cash (under protest, with my domain held hostage) and have been in conversation with Ofcom about getting UKFSN to establish an ADR service as per Ofcom's rules (Note to anyone else still with UKFSN, you currently have no dispute procedure in case things go wrong!)
Standard User ukfsn
(knowledge is power) Fri 13-Dec-13 08:35:30
Print Post

You refused to pay the money you owed so I suspended the service. The unethical behaviour was yours - to refuse to pay for service after receiving it.

UK Free Software Network
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 13-Dec-13 08:42:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by ukfsn:
You refused to pay the money you owed so I suspended the service.
The service you suspended was paid for. This is unacceptable behaviour.

______________________________________________________________________________________Go_girl!__________________
Standard User ukfsn
(knowledge is power) Fri 13-Dec-13 09:53:02
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

You are wrong. The service was not paid for.

UK Free Software Network
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to