General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User andew
(regular) Wed 01-Dec-10 20:01:13
Print Post

FTTC Cornwall - Pilot Exchange

[link to this post]

Hi All

I believe i'm connected to a cabinet on my exchange which i believe is due to be enabled soon. Unfortuately I cant get much info from the btwholesale website. If I try checking my line it doesnt mention anything about fttc. (Just 2 meg adsl ), but if i type in my postcode, it says 'Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed between 7.4 to 32.6 Mbps and upstream line speed between 1.1 to 7.8 Mbps.'

Does anyone know how to get a date for when its enabled, I have found a date of end of march, but I cant believe BT are putting the cabinet in nearly 4 months before that date.
The date of the end of march has been been mentioned online for the first 8 exchanges.
The exchange is Threewaters (WWTHRE).
Standard User andew
(regular) Thu 02-Dec-10 15:32:57
Print Post

Re: FTTC Cornwall - Pilot Exchange

[re: andew] [link to this post]

Managed to get a picture of the cabinet, appears to be smaller than cabinets used in other areas

existing cab

fttc cab in the TR4 8 area

There are 5 of these in the surrounding area, all next to existing cabs.

Updated to show the existing cab as well

Edited by andew (Thu 02-Dec-10 16:02:51)

Standard User nelix01
(member) Thu 02-Dec-10 15:36:29
Print Post

It does not look like the FTTC Cabs that have been installed in other areas but maybe a friendly Engineer can clarify what it is!!

BTBroadband
DSL Max

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User andew
(regular) Thu 02-Dec-10 15:43:22
Print Post

[re: nelix01] [link to this post]

Already spoken to an engineer, he did confirm it was a fttc cab
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 02-Dec-10 16:16:42
Print Post

All depends on the number of lines they plan to serve

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User andew
(regular) Thu 02-Dec-10 16:34:55
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

According to samknows the exchange only has 1157 lines on it in total. Doesnt surprise me that they are using smaller cabinets.
Standard User djfunkdup
(committed) Thu 02-Dec-10 17:45:27
Print Post

[re: nelix01] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by nelix01:
It does not look like the FTTC Cabs that have been installed in other areas but maybe a friendly Engineer can clarify what it is!!

i would agree with that ....it defo looks smaller than the FTTC cabs doing the rounds....

pic of a typical FTTC cab http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w141/Zoejoe_bucke...

-----------------------------------------------------
virgin media B/B .xxl....50Mbps....... T/V .xl......v+ hd .......... L/L .talk unlimited
http://www.pingtest.net/result/23550824.png

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by djfunkdup (Thu 02-Dec-10 17:46:33)

Standard User neilxyz
(newbie) Thu 02-Dec-10 21:12:24
Print Post

According to Openreach the exchange is due to be fftc enabled from March 2011.
Link

This short audio interview provides a bit of useful info about the 8 pilot areas being fttc enabled.
Link
Standard User neilxyz
(newbie) Thu 02-Dec-10 21:26:41
Print Post

Various planning 'prior notification' applications in for fibre optic cabinets in the Three Waters exchange area... one matching your postcode given.

--------
Telecommunications prior notification for proposed new fibre optic modular cabinet
18 Chacewater Hill Chacewater Truro Cornwall TR4 8QB
Ref. No: PA10/05969 | Received: Fri 17 Sep 2010 | Validated: Fri 17 Sep 2010 | Status: Prior approval not required

Application for determination of prior approval under Part 24 of the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 1995 for the installation of a new fibre optic modular cabinet
Grass Verge West Of 3 Carneggy Greenbottom Cornwall
Ref. No: PA10/05883 | Received: Fri 17 Sep 2010 | Validated: Fri 17 Sep 2010 | Status: Prior approval not required

Application for determination of prior approval under Part 24 of the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 1995 for the installation of a new fibre optic modular cabinet
Land Near Little Retreat Blackwater Cornwall
Ref. No: PA10/05865 | Received: Fri 17 Sep 2010 | Validated: Fri 17 Sep 2010 | Status: Prior approval not required

Application for determination of prior approval under Part 24 of the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 1995 for installation of a new fibre optic modular cabinet
Grass Verge South Of Lyndon House East Hill Blackwater Cornwall
Ref. No: PA10/05890 | Received: Fri 17 Sep 2010 | Validated: Fri 17 Sep 2010 | Status: Prior approval not required

Application for determination of prior approval under Part 24 of the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 1995 for proposed fibre optic modular cabinet
Road From Wheal Sperris Villa To Junction North Of Hugus Farm Hugus Truro Cornwall
Ref. No: PA10/05888 | Received: Fri 17 Sep 2010 | Validated: Fri 17 Sep 2010 | Status: Prior approval not required
Standard User andew
(regular) Thu 02-Dec-10 21:47:50
Print Post

[re: neilxyz] [link to this post]

The cabinets installed in all of those five locations are identical to the picture i posted earlier.

I'm hoping its before the end of march ..... already got a draytek 2920n
Standard User andew
(regular) Thu 09-Dec-10 15:58:06
Print Post

Manage to speak to a Openreach engineer about the cabinets going in. He mentioned that the plan is to have a customer connected to the exchange before christmas.

I have tried my own isp to see if they can order it but according to their records the exchange has no FTTC planed for it. Does anyone know how to get BTWholesale to update their records?

As mentioned before btwholesales site says FTTC is available for my postcode, but nothing for my phone number. My Postcode is TR48EL is anyone wants to check that.
Standard User lockyatlrg
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 09-Dec-10 18:11:12
Print Post

BT infinity and the samknows checker say there is no FTTC in your area

But the BT wholesale website does.

hmmm.

o2 LLU
ROUTER:-DGN2000
Sync 17848D 1412U Annex A
Att:-35.5dB Down 18.4dB Up
SNR:-1.5dB Down 3.5dB Up
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 14-Dec-10 15:57:49
Print Post

I think that's a mini DSLAM it only supports something like 133 lines or less, Some cabs have been installed for 6 months before going on line
Standard User andew
(regular) Thu 16-Dec-10 15:15:38
Print Post

[re: lockyatlrg] [link to this post]

From my drive to work this morning, it would appear that there are problems with the fttc cabinet near my house, there were 6 openreach vans by it this morning!
Standard User Croftie
(learned) Thu 16-Dec-10 18:19:59
Print Post

Stop and ask what all the fuss is about.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Thu 16-Dec-10 18:34:44
Print Post

there were 6 openreach vans by it this morning

you found the one with the kettle socket.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User andew
(regular) Wed 22-Dec-10 09:27:19
Print Post

[re: Croftie] [link to this post]

Found out there is a power problem with the cabinet near me, the engineer reckoned that the cabinet should be ready for customers in the middle of january.
Standard User andew
(regular) Fri 14-Jan-11 13:46:15
Print Post

Finally got a date for being able to order. BTWholesales website is now saying
Your cabinet is planned to have WBC FTTC by 17th January 2011. Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 30.5Mbps and upstream line speed of 7Mbps.

smile
Standard User wragby
(newbie) Wed 19-Jan-11 09:53:06
Print Post

Trefor Davies over at http://www.trefor.net/2011/01/19/fttc-in-cornwall-fi... says he has the list of postcodes v cabinets avaiable if anyone wants to drop him a line.
Standard User andew
(regular) Wed 19-Jan-11 12:37:46
Print Post

[re: wragby] [link to this post]

Finally got an installation date for FTTC smile

Monday 24th 8am-1pm

Might even be the first in cornwall
ISP Representative DaveTomlinson
(isp) Wed 19-Jan-11 18:11:23
Print Post

Good luck smile I had confirmation the other day that the first 4 cabs at WWTHRE have been enabled with the fifth to follow soon. They were also hoping to get a few more of the first batch of exchanges enabled before the end of March.

Regards,

Dave Tomlinson
PlusNet Product Team
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User andew
(regular) Mon 24-Jan-11 17:22:47
Print Post

[re: DaveTomlinson] [link to this post]

I'm gutted frown

From my isp: 'Unfortunately BT have today notified us that the FTTC order due for this morning has been cancelled due to a DSLAM configuration issue. The order has been cancelled and reissued with a new appointment of 07/02/2011 AM. '

Another 2 weeks to wait frown
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 24-Jan-11 23:01:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by andew:
I'm gutted frown

From my isp: 'Unfortunately BT have today notified us that the FTTC order due for this morning has been cancelled due to a DSLAM configuration issue. The order has been cancelled and reissued with a new appointment of 07/02/2011 AM. '

Another 2 weeks to wait frown
Translated - There are only two people around there who know how to connect you to the DSLAM. One is on holiday and the other has just broken his leg and is off for a while.

Edit - or they broke it. (The DSLAM, not his leg).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 25-Jan-11 10:28:20)

Standard User andew
(regular) Tue 25-Jan-11 08:54:41
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The more likely reason is that the installation was interrupting a tea break! tongue
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 25-Jan-11 10:31:00
Print Post

It must be frustrating though, having got to that stage. It was bad enough here when the cabinet due Dec 2010 went off the schedule completely, even when I'm highly unlikely to go FTTC anyway. (Cabinet now live).

I've just re-edited the previous post to add the missing number of people.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to