General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User camieabz
(legend) Sun 23-Jan-11 11:18:12
Print Post

Re: Demand-led Rollout of FTTC

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Arithmetic:-

Maximum number of connections per cabinet, 288.
Maximum deposit value, (paid to which BT company?), £8630.
Discount to consumers in first year, £8630.

If you take half the connections as an average guesstimate (144) then you would have £4315. Multiply that by the number of exchanges and that's £10 million. If BT start rolling out the most viable first, by the time they get to the least viable, they would have people paying monthly to subsidise the rollouts etc.

I wonder if there's a case for paying the connection and first year of subscriptions up front in one sum (approx. £300). Then you would see £100 million and a similar rollout scenario would be far more 'do-able'. Would I pay £300 up front, knowing I would be in the bottom half of priority? Hmmm. Only if they gave a guarantee of when they would connect me (such as within one year).

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011 - All rights and lefts reserved.

report this link
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 23-Jan-11 11:43:34
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Add FTTP to the list

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Bob_s2
(learned) Sun 23-Jan-11 11:59:33
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

FTTP would increase the cost quite a lot unless a cheap way has been found to put the fibre in.

I would guess BT faces two problems with the Fibre Roll out which will be cash and knowing which locations will have a god take up of it. They will have some clue from the take up of Broadband. They have tried voting systems but generally they have been open to abuse and also tend to get a high level of votes by people who have no real intention of taking it up

If you have a system where a deposit is put down it shows commitment to take the service as well as giving BT access to low cost finance to assist with the rollout

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 23-Jan-11 12:19:05
Print Post

[re: Bob_s2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Bob_s2:
The money would not go back to an ISP but to BT Openreach as they are the ones paying for the infrustructure
So you are saying users should pay the deposit, (of whatever value as per the rest of the thread), direct to Openreach, and once the user takes FTTC Openreach refund it directly to them?

That requires a few thousand quid of systems investment and some full-time staff to run it. Eating considerably into the cash.

There is also the un-asked so far question, though it has been hinted at, as to how long depositors may have to wait for enablement, and seeing as a trigger number has to be reached that could be a very long time, never mind the period from the trigger being reached to the go-live.

Would interest be paid on the deposit? It could be a couple of years or so with no news whatsoever about what is going on.

On should the systems regularly inform depositors of the position re both the exchange and their particular cabinet? A few more thousand quid development cost.

What happens if only a couple of cabinets are requested on a non-FTTC exchange?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User nemeth782
(learned) Sun 23-Jan-11 12:31:31
Print Post

[re: Bob_s2] [link to this post]

But what happens when I apply and pay my £30 deposit, when both my lines are exchange based (no cab to enable)?

Although, to be honest, £30 would probably cover the cost of the 25 meters of fibre that would be needed to FTTP me anyway.....
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 23-Jan-11 12:40:24
Print Post

[re: nemeth782] [link to this post]

People forget that the admin for the deposit scheme would cost money too

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 23-Jan-11 13:24:00
Print Post

Errrm. Not all do.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 23-Jan-11 13:35:07
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I dont follow in your linked post as to where it talks about being able to run a deposit scheme for zero cost.

Even an automated system, requires a sys admin and people to write it in the first place, and ongoing verifications that system is still secure.

Handling the issue of people moving, is deposit refunded, or just non-refundable

Standard User Bob_s2
(learned) Sun 23-Jan-11 14:47:05
Print Post

The cost should be pretty low. BT already having billing systems in place. The admin cost odd a one off payment system would be insignificant particularly if done electronically rather then paper based.

The real benefit though is it shows real commiment by customers to take the service and that linked to say an intial 12 month minimum contract period means BT would be able to recover the start up costs quite quickly. Possibly the deposit could be non refundable and used by BT towards the initial rollout costs. That though leaves the problem with what you do with customers that join after go live.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 23-Jan-11 14:48:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
I dont follow in your linked post as to where it talks about being able to run a deposit scheme for zero cost.

Even an automated system, requires a sys admin and people to write it in the first place, and ongoing verifications that system is still secure.

Handling the issue of people moving, is deposit refunded, or just non-refundable
So you are saying users should pay the deposit, (of whatever value as per the rest of the thread), direct to Openreach, and once the user takes FTTC Openreach refund it directly to them?

That requires a few thousand quid of systems investment and some full-time staff to run it. Eating considerably into the cash.
There is also the un-asked so far question, though it has been hinted at, as to how long depositors may have to wait for enablement, and seeing as a trigger number has to be reached that could be a very long time, never mind the period from the trigger being reached to the go-live.

Would interest be paid on the deposit? It could be a couple of years or so with no news whatsoever about what is going on.

On should the systems regularly inform depositors of the position re both the exchange and their particular cabinet? A few more thousand quid development cost.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to