General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 25-Jan-11 22:29:06
Print Post

Re: Demand-led Rollout of FTTC

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

well all leicestershire ones are market 2, no market 3 enabled. and sheringham is market 1 smile

yet when I seen the map of surrey rollout (and wow BT love that place loads of FTTC exchanges) it was mainly market 3.
Standard User WWWombat
(learned) Wed 26-Jan-11 22:53:38
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Most of the Leicestershire exchanges (announced so far) look to be Market 3 to me, but that's quibbling - there are definitely some Market 2's amongst them. And yes, a couple of Market 1's in that latest announcement.

That suggests that BT have a rather different way of calculating profitability (for FTTC at least) than Ofcom

Edit: Fix reference to Leicestershire.

Edited by WWWombat (Wed 26-Jan-11 22:55:01)

Standard User ccxo
(learned) Thu 27-Jan-11 01:50:37
Print Post

My village lies outside of 2 towns both of which will have FTTC going live this year March and June as they have both been put back.

The later date exchange covers half of my village OR have already put the ductting to the green box already, just when it goes live half the village will be left out as we are connected to a exchange to the north.

BT claim that to connect the northen end of the village would require a telephone number change and a large cost.

My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 27-Jan-11 18:16:31
Print Post

how many you looking at? I only know of 3 or 4, which I think just 1 is market 3..
Standard User homer79
(newbie) Thu 27-Jan-11 18:55:59
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

Thats rather odd. The FTTC connection doesnt have to come out of the same exchange as the telephone line.
Standard User ccxo
(learned) Fri 28-Jan-11 13:08:52
Print Post

[re: homer79] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by homer79:
Thats rather odd. The FTTC connection doesnt have to come out of the same exchange as the telephone line.

Can you expand more on this, as it would be of great help to the local village communications commitee that is trying to improve broadband speeds in the north of the village and other villages connected to the

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/THHRJ

The FFTC comes from the Thatcham exhange

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/THT

The cabinet where the FTTC will go is here

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&g...

The other green box that connects the north of the village to the Hermitage exchange is here

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&g...

There is already a large extend of what i believe to be BT ducting up the HIll so theres already a large part of the job done. The north green box is about 1.3 miles from the Southern FTTC box.

The overall aim is to bring a faster and more reliable service at peak time to the north of the village, even to Hermitage if possible as there is a large population.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Fri 28-Jan-11 13:20:05
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

the fibre taking the data back from the FTTC cabinet is a wholly separate entity to the bunch of twisted pairs taking voice to the exchange, so it can go to a different exchange or in the case of a 3rd party FTTC setup to no exchange at all.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User WWWombat
(learned) Fri 28-Jan-11 14:12:34
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

I don't have my notes, but IIRC all the existing live exchanges are Market 3, and 3 of the ones now in the plan are Market 2. That leaves the balance in the plan as M3 - perhaps another 4 exchanges?
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 28-Jan-11 17:25:23
Print Post

I just checked.

2 existing market 3, yes just 2 in entire leicestershire. Both outskirts of city.
3 new all market 2, all rural exchanges.
Standard User ccxo
(learned) Mon 31-Jan-11 17:04:36
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Ile pass that on to the lpc, though would be good to know what it would cost BT to actually connect up the north of the village with the south for fttc.

My Broadband Speed Test
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to