General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Moderator billford
(moderator) Tue 15-Mar-11 00:14:27
Print Post

Re: Changed RFS date (31st March to 16th Feb)

[re: Yerman164] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Yerman164:
The BT wholesale checker is the only one worth paying attention to, all the ISP's take the results from that when you put your phone number in on their website.
BT said I couldn't get it for another 6 weeks (didn't check SamKnows), but I thought "What the hell..." and tried to order it online from my ISP. The order went through as sweet as you like.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

[email protected] ________________________Planes and Cars and ...________________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mrnelster
(member) Tue 15-Mar-11 00:29:19
Print Post

The BT wholesale checker is the only one worth paying attention to, all the ISP's take the results from that when you put your phone number in on their website.

Not really. BT supply the ISP's with details of cab/postcode/uplift ratio when the cabs are ready to go live.

The administrive side of things (updating all the postcodes/lines on the checker) seems to lag behind the ISP's, whose interest it's in to get people connected. wink

Knowing how it works is completely different to understanding how it works.
Standard User Yerman164
(newbie) Tue 15-Mar-11 01:35:25
Print Post

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mrnelster:

Not really. BT supply the ISP's with details of cab/postcode/uplift ratio when the cabs are ready to go live.

The administrive side of things (updating all the postcodes/lines on the checker) seems to lag behind the ISP's, whose interest it's in to get people connected. wink

I'm not sure what's wrong with what I said. Generally speaking you can usually only order FTTC after the BT wholesale checker has been updated saying your line is live. There may be the odd example like Billford's where people have managed to get it before, but I don't think that's common place.

From what I've seen, the ISP's checkers all change at the same time as the BT Wholesale checker. For instance my cab changed today to 30th June, and every ISP checker updated likewise.

Also when the BT Wholesale checker is down when they're performing updates then the checker for other ISP's is also down, so it seems to me they're just using that.

Some ISP's e.g. Aquiss even tell you the exact same text the BT checker gives you.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User danielowenuk
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 15-Mar-11 11:58:51
Print Post

[re: danielowenuk] [link to this post]

When the engineer came out I was talking about the uptake of FTTC.

He said that they have only ran 100 pairs to the cabinet, and yet the fibre to the cabinet was 88000Mb, that seems a little pie in the sky as it would (potentially allow for 880Mb per end user).

Does anyone know what sort of fibre they run to the cab?
Standard User mrnelster
(member) Tue 15-Mar-11 16:50:58
Print Post

Are you sure he didnt mean 8800Mbs?

I think someone here told us that the standard cabinet supplied up to 288 lines. Divide that and you get 30 odd Meg each? Allow 2 lines per property and thats 60 odd?

Who knows! But that sort of figure would make more sense for allowed capacity.

I think I read somewhere that the fibres were 155 meg each?? tongue

Anybody?

(fountain of knowledge) Tue 15-Mar-11 22:09:00
Print Post

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

He definitely said 88 thousand, and definitely said only 100 pairs in the cab could be bs though
Standard User mrnelster
(member) Tue 15-Mar-11 23:31:14
Print Post

Someone like Zarjaz would be the person to ask.

Standard User Yerman164
(newbie) Thu 31-Mar-11 01:14:23
Print Post

My cabinet has gone live today in Chesterfield, by coincidence the date of 31st March was correct all along.

It turns out I wasn't connected to the cabinet I thought I was, which was installed back in November and went live several weeks ago.

The cab I'm connected to was only installed 2 weeks ago and yet it's just gone live today, pretty impressive work by BT. I've not heard about a cab going live so quickly before.

Install date of 7th April for BT Infinity.
Standard User TheHorseman
(knowledge is power) Thu 31-Mar-11 13:59:50
Print Post

In reply to a post by danielowenuk:
Nice guy actually shifted my master socket to a better position.

I like them to move mine as it is in a stupid place, jammed right up against the window frame in the far right corner screwed the the sill.

I guess i'll have to have the brew and biccies ready. smile

BT -> Zen -> F2S -> Bulldog -> Be*
Far too many computers, 1 Wife, 3 Maine Coons and too many horses smile
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 31-Mar-11 14:38:52
Print Post

[re: TheHorseman] [link to this post]

To be fair he called up and said

"is the socket close to the pc?"

to which I said

"Ahhh I want to talk to you about that"

So he did kinda agree before I broke out the tea and biscuits, I think the process allows them to move sockets.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to