General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 10-Feb-11 17:42:51
Print Post

Re: Infinity Data Kit

[re: MJEdmunds] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MJEdmunds:
...The filter stops ADSL signals interfering with voice calls.

You are not alone with that train of thought. It's a very popular misconception.

What you have stated is a secondary function of the filter's design, if it's a well designed filter such as these.

It's primary function is the reverse of what you state - the filter actually prevents ye olde telephony equipment (bell ringers, burglar alarms, sky boxes, handsets and a plethora of other bits and pieces) from killing the ADSL signal.

Beartrap set!
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 11-Feb-11 21:02:16
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The later VDSL face plates allow for either, plugged in the front, or hardwired inside.

It's an unsightly piece of cable, and I'd rather find 'other' ways of doing things, but they cannot always be avoided.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 17-Feb-11 22:59:36
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

its an internal cat 5 cable , prewired with a plug at one end and bare cable at the other , the engineer fits an adsl only socket on this end , there does not appear to be an external quality cat 5 cable available for this type of install so engineers have the option to move the main socket to a suitable location

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Squirrel
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 18-Feb-11 13:01:45
Print Post

[re: Squirrel] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Squirrel:
I'm hoping the new VDSL signal will go over the same piece of wire when it gets fitted next week.

Well I had Infinity connected yesterday and it was not quite how I expected it to go. The two engineers that came used the cable between my master socket and the ADSL socket but not quite in the way I imagined.

They replaced the ADSL only socket upstairs with a new master socket using the old ADSL cable as the link. Downstairs they replaced the old master socket with some other new Openreach branded socket.

So now what happens is the combined signal comes into the house downstairs via the old master, goes upstairs via the old ADSL cable to the new master socket. At this point the VDSL signal is split off and goes to the Openreach modem and the voice signal goes back downstairs on another pair of wires back to the old master socket from which it is then split out to the two BT fitted extension sockets we have.

Ian Stirling

O2 Broadband Standard
Standard User Johnct
(committed) Wed 16-Mar-11 17:41:34
Print Post

My master socket is in the hallway downstairs and no power sockets near it and my pc is upstairs
so can i put both modem and router upstairs using power sockets in the bedroom
i am still confused with this data extension cable is it just for the router from master socket to pc or for the modem from master socket to pc

cheers
Standard User Squirrel
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 16-Mar-11 20:59:32
Print Post

[re: Johnct] [link to this post]

This is basically what I have except the old ADSL only socket on the end of my original ADSL extension cable became my new master socket. The old master socket just became a single phone socket. In my bedroom I now have a combined VDSL/Phone master socket. The phone socket is actually unused as my DECT phone setup is driven from one of the other phone extension sockets downstairs. My Openreach VDSL model connects to the wall socket by using a cable approx 1m long. Then there is another 1m CAT5 cable between the VDSL Modem and the HH3, despite the fact that one sits on the other. Both devices are in the bedroom and powered from a large 12 socket extension lead.

Effectively I don't have a data extension anymore, but the old ADSL extension is now an integral part of the wiring

Standard User Johnct
(committed) Thu 17-Mar-11 22:24:15
Print Post

I just read that bt retail will now charge customers if they need the data extension kit
dam i would have went with bt but i would say it will cost a lot the data kit
Standard User Squirrel
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 17-Mar-11 22:27:50
Print Post

[re: Johnct] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Johnct:
I just read that bt retail will now charge customers if they need the data extension kit
dam i would have went with bt but i would say it will cost a lot the data kit

It doesn't matter who you go with - BT currently do all fibre broadband installations even when you get your service from another ISP. If they are going to charge for the extension kit you will end up paying for it one way or the other.

Where did you read that by the way ?

Standard User andyboygsi
(member) Thu 17-Mar-11 23:01:00
Print Post

thats wrong and should not have been done like that. you cannot backwire extensions back down another pair in the same cable

these comments are my own and in no way represent any company that i may or may not be linked too.

BTBroadband
Standard User Johnct
(committed) Fri 18-Mar-11 00:18:06
Print Post

it was on the bt website and they have changed the packages they offer maybe they trying to claw back bit of money !

if i happen to find the link again i will put it up
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to