General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 19-Feb-11 07:49:32
Print Post

Re: That was painless

[re: orly] [link to this post]

Literalists should be shot.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 19-Feb-11 08:01:45
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Well I don't know if it is normal, but I got a welcoming phone call from the owner in the middle of the afternoon!

I'm not surprised. The management is active on IDNet's own forum, too: http://www.idnetters.co.uk/forums

Their support is excellent - although confined to Mon-Fri..
Standard User faircot
(newbie) Sat 19-Feb-11 08:04:57
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
I'm not surprised..

Whoops. Didn't realise I wasn't logged in to post that comment.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 19-Feb-11 10:07:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Engineer arrived soon after 9am and was gone by 10:10, all drinks and refreshments refused!

He came here to check the site out before doing the connection at the cab so I asked him to check how many before me. Four.

He wasn't from the immediate area but has done enough installations over the last few months to have stopped counting long ago. This only the second non-Infinity one he has done!

JDSU showed 39992kb[s, attenuation 17.7dB, length 0.6km, SNRM 7.5dB.

BT speed tests wired are giving 33Mbps and 36Mbps on 38717 IP Profile. Wireless I have yet to get sorted out properly for speed tests but obviously snappier on things like the BBC website.
[/quote]

ahh so you took the plunge, a tbb graph possible?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 19-Feb-11 10:24:56
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
ahh so you took the plunge, a tbb graph possible?
The huge red was a factory reset on the router which disabled pings after I had previously enabled them. Spikes before it - I was messing around a lot, see next paragraph.

The other solid reds are other router reboots etc., as I had a problem with the wireless. Cracked that just after 10pm. All subsequent latency spikes are speed tests.

BQM 10am 19 Feb.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sat 19-Feb-11 23:13:23
Print Post

[re: orly] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by orly:
Maybe normal with a diddy ISP

Its a shame Ben Verwaayan moved on and was replaced by "old school" type. Ben V was the one who realised that "no engineer visit" would speed the take up of DSL back in 2002.

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Moderator billford
(moderator) Sat 19-Feb-11 23:19:17
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
Ben V was the one who realised that "no engineer visit" would speed the take up of DSL back in 2002.
Wouldn't help much with FTTC... granted there's nothing in the premises that an end user couldn't do, but I can't see BT letting any user into the cabinets to swap the connections over.

So you still need an appointment time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

[email protected] ________________________Planes and Cars and ...________________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 19-Feb-11 23:47:06
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by billford:
Wouldn't help much with FTTC... granted there's nothing in the premises that an end user couldn't do, but I can't see BT letting any user into the cabinets to swap the connections over.

So you still need an appointment time.
There isn't anything in the premises even the user needs to do. The VDSL faceplate is just a newer model of filtered faceplate and apparently no real difference from the previous BT one and/or ADSL Nation/Clarity versions. Or a standard NTE5A plus a dangly filter.

Perhaps the data extension if needed, or a master socket move. Can be useful. Then a test. IIRC they used to do that on 512kb early ADSL as well.

Moderator billford
(moderator) Sat 19-Feb-11 23:56:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
IIRC they used to do that on 512kb early ADSL as well.
I don't go back that far... I started at 2Mbps tongue

Actually, strictly speaking I started at 1200 baud, but we won't go into that wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

[email protected] ________________________Planes and Cars and ...________________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User btbert
(member) Sun 20-Feb-11 10:50:24
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

engineer visit is also to sort out star wiring if there is any .

these comments are my own and in no way represent any company that i may or may not be linked too.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to