General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 20-Feb-11 13:53:04
Print Post

Re: That was painless

[re: billford] [link to this post]

yeah the reason for the redesigned faceplate is exactly so that end users can fit them in future. OR have stated they would be willing to allow CPs to provide integrated vdsl modems in their own routers rather than use the OR modem once OR / CPs agree a standard (i.e. they accept to use similar chipset etc to the current modem).

In the meantime the engineer visit ensures that early adopters get a good service and the fttc doesnt get any needless bad press from EUs with [censored] diy wiring etc..

Give it a couple of years and it will be a self install with an engineer flying around between cabs changing jumpers.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 20-Feb-11 14:03:18
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Give it a couple of years and it will be a self install with an engineer flying around between cabs changing jumpers.
Just think how much more efficient it would be to have the fibre connections centralised at the exchange and going all the way to the user's place. Or that, plus all pre-connected and controlled by software. FFTF? It would save billions.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sun 20-Feb-11 14:19:49
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Then a test. IIRC they used to do that on 512kb early ADSL as well.

they did - I had engineer fitted 512k *business* from BT with the forced USB modem. My employed paid the bill (I wasn't going to stump up £200 for install). I had NTL's 512k ethernet offering at the time.

It wasn't until NTL's proxies finally got me down and my employer stopped paying (change of job role) that I cancelled NTL and took over the BT line myself and moved to 2mbps with the original metronet.

And Bill - 1200bps? wasn't 1200/75?, and you didn't use 300/300 ? smile

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Moderator billford
(moderator) Sun 20-Feb-11 14:53:01
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
And Bill - 1200bps? wasn't 1200/75?, and you didn't use 300/300 ? smile
I had to go and dig out my first modem to be sure what it was- I've still got it upstairs smile

It was a Hayes V.22bis, ie 1200/2400 baud, full duplex. The 75 baud back channel was part of V.23, which was 600/1200 baud, half duplex.

I think I was only on 1200 baud for a couple of weeks, then BT upgraded their modems to 2400. But it was a long while ago, so I could be wrong on that.

And no, I didn't use 300/300 tongue. Though acoustic couplers were still around!

Just to be pedantic- baud is not (quite) the same as bps tongue

moved to 2mbps with the original metronet
I started with them and did a runner when Plusnet bought them. It was that that brought me to this site, so it's all Plusnet's fault grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

[email protected] ________________________Planes and Cars and ...________________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Sun 20-Feb-11 14:56:25
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

OR have stated they would be willing to allow CPs to provide integrated vdsl modems in their own routers rather than use the OR modem once OR / CPs agree a standard (i.e. they accept to use similar chipset etc to the current modem).
I'm quite happy with the OR modem, it seems to do its job competently. And it gave me a wider choice of router.

I just wish they'd let me see the line stats mad mad mad

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

[email protected] ________________________Planes and Cars and ...________________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sun 20-Feb-11 15:17:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by billford:
I'm quite happy with the OR modem, it seems to do its job competently. And it gave me a wider choice of router.

To me it seems the best approach. Should a CP and OR agree to use a different device then the end user would be unable to easily replace this, if they wanted more features. Just look at the hassle VM is having with the new Hub / SuperHub products, which integrate the cable modem into a fairly basic router.

The original BT idea of ADSL to a USB plug was generally accepted as insane (USB being a troublesome software interface). Now that OR supply FTTC customers with a VDSL modem the interface is standard ethernet. Anyone know if its FastE or GigE ?

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Standard User Squirrel
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 20-Feb-11 15:31:41
Print Post

Anyone know if its FastE or GigE ?

What's the difference ?

Moderator billford
(moderator) Sun 20-Feb-11 15:40:02
Print Post

Anyone know if its FastE or GigE ?
As far as I know it's gigabit.

I'm sure I saw it stated somewhere or other, but don't ask me for a link crazy

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

Moderator billford
(moderator) Sun 20-Feb-11 15:41:14
Print Post

[re: Squirrel] [link to this post]

FastE is 100Mbps.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

Standard User reme8488
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 20-Feb-11 16:02:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by billford:
OR have stated they would be willing to allow CPs to provide integrated vdsl modems in their own routers rather than use the OR modem once OR / CPs agree a standard (i.e. they accept to use similar chipset etc to the current modem).

I just wish they'd let me see the line stats mad mad mad

That's the only drawback with the OR modem Bill. Not being able to monitor your line stats is a real downer frown

Being able to see your line stats could also possibly reduce the time taken to fix/diagnose faults.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Regards...
Tom

My Photo Galleries

My daughter Kerry's Art Gallery

Line 1: Sky LLU @ 6.5mbit/1mbit
Line 2: BT Infinity @ 38.7mbit/10mbit (line length to FTTC cab 547m exactly)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to