General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Moderator billford
(moderator) Sat 19-Feb-11 22:02:43
Print Post

Re: My BQM - Your thoughts please.

[re: maniac886] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by maniac886:
I have a feeling they will eventually find an issue at the cab rather than at my property.
Same here. Something external that can kick up that much interference would likely be taking out the DSL of half the street!

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

[email protected] ________________________Planes and Cars and ...________________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User maniac886
(member) Sat 19-Feb-11 22:05:20
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by billford:
I have a feeling they will eventually find an issue at the cab rather than at my property.
Same here. Something external that can kick up that much interference would likely be taking out the DSL of half the street!

I will show the graphs to the engineers when they come round, there have been three huge bands of packet loss over the last 3 days, all after 4pm..hopefully they will at least take that into consideration.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Sat 19-Feb-11 22:08:39
Print Post

three huge bands of packet loss over the last 3 days, all after 4pm..
Hmm... I wonder if they've taken the cabinet power from the same circuit as the street lights?

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

[email protected] ________________________Planes and Cars and ...________________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User maniac886
(member) Sat 19-Feb-11 22:11:55
Print Post

three huge bands of packet loss over the last 3 days, all after 4pm..
Hmm... I wonder if they've taken the cabinet power from the same circuit as the street lights?

Very interesting, if that were the case I would expect other properties who are connected to the same cab to be seeing similar issues? May point that out to them.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 19-Feb-11 22:26:39
Print Post

No fttc is powered by a proper mains electrical feed to avoid any interference or spikes from street lighting. The cabs even have telemetry lines on the electric supply so OR have planned this aspect properly.
Standard User maniac886
(member) Sat 19-Feb-11 22:41:45
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Just noticed that my upload speeds have gone right down to 1 Meg and download increased to 25Meg, this erratic behaviour to me is pointing towards an issue at the cab.
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 20-Feb-11 11:31:44
Print Post

thats more than 0.1% tho wink

end of the day its your line and if you happy with it so be it, but from an outside perspective it seems FTTC has poor quality provision isp or openreach side.
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 20-Feb-11 11:34:00
Print Post

We've already established that the OP has a fault, so the comparison is meaningless.

ADSL2+ modem/router was a 3Com, now it's the OR modem and an Airport Extreme router.

It would be nice to have zero packet loss, but some of us have to live in the real world and <0.1% doesn't matter.

You think it's high, I don't.

Wish I could get back to that rate of packet loss.

Just seen my updated monitor(below) looks like a bloodbath!

My Broadband Ping

to be honest yours looks acceptable outside that bloodbath period, only small red dots which is what I was trying to say s normal. are you also on idnet or diff isp? as that graph looks much better than the others when ignoring the 12pm to 9pm. clearly some kind of fault condition in those hours.

Edited by Chrysalis (Sun 20-Feb-11 11:34:55)

Standard User maniac886
(member) Sun 20-Feb-11 12:00:18
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
We've already established that the OP has a fault, so the comparison is meaningless.

ADSL2+ modem/router was a 3Com, now it's the OR modem and an Airport Extreme router.

It would be nice to have zero packet loss, but some of us have to live in the real world and <0.1% doesn't matter.

You think it's high, I don't.

Wish I could get back to that rate of packet loss.

Just seen my updated monitor(below) looks like a bloodbath!

My Broadband Ping

to be honest yours looks acceptable outside that bloodbath period, only small red dots which is what I was trying to say s normal. are you also on idnet or diff isp? as that graph looks much better than the others when ignoring the 12pm to 9pm. clearly some kind of fault condition in those hours.

I am with Aquiss at the moment, the graph is looking ok now, however I have just ran a BT speedtest this morning and have noticed that my upload has now dropped to around 1.5Meg. I have never had a problem with my upload speed before. It's all very strange.

Here is a link of the live graph:

My Broadband Ping

Edited by maniac886 (Sun 20-Feb-11 12:01:33)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 20-Feb-11 13:01:27
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
thats more than 0.1% tho wink

end of the day its your line and if you happy with it so be it, but from an outside perspective it seems FTTC has poor quality provision isp or openreach side.
Another IDNet BQM graph.

All the five non-murmuring spikes are speed tests, either tbb or BT. The small bunch of packet drop just after midnight is the start of off-peak when the heavy downloaders hit the system. It was the same 24 hours earlier.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 20-Feb-11 13:02:31)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to