General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 20-Feb-11 10:09:04
Print Post

Re: Shocked, appalled and horrified... ADSL24

[re: aquiss] [link to this post]

Have checked the adsl24 website and they can offer me fibre bb up to 40mb. However, BT Infinity cannot. Is that unusual? BT say my exchange is fibre but not my address.
Standard User aquiss
(experienced) Sun 20-Feb-11 10:15:31
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Have checked the adsl24 website and they can offer me fibre bb up to 40mb. However, BT Infinity cannot. Is that unusual? BT say my exchange is fibre but not my address.

Normally means the expected speed is thought to be below 15Mbps, which BT Retail currently are not catering for.

Most other ISPs who are doing FTTC will connect lines from 5Mbps upwards (which is useful for those on very long lines).

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 20-Feb-11 10:29:00
Print Post

As Aquiss says.

What does this checker esimate for FTTC speed?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 20-Feb-11 10:31:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by aquiss:
Normally means the expected speed is thought to be below 15Mbps, which BT Retail currently are not catering for.

Most other ISPs who are doing FTTC will connect lines from 5Mbps upwards (which is useful for those on very long lines).
I know 5Mbps was coming but haven't seen any reports of anyone moving to it. Openreach are accepting orders then are they, not just saying they are going to? (I assume you have some smile).

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre.
Standard User aquiss
(experienced) Sun 20-Feb-11 10:47:57
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi Roberto,

Yup, I'm aware we have about 25 customers who are sub 8Mbps sync on FTTC, including a couple around 5Mbps mark. In both cases they were previously only able to get 512Kbps at best, so a good solid improvement for them.

I've been taking a bit interest in this end of the scale, just to generally see how we can increase speeds for those more rural or out of reach previously.

Openreach certainly been happy to take our orders smile

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 20-Feb-11 10:53:25
Print Post

That's brilliant Martin. I'll note it on my FTTC supplier list. Might pick up one prospect within three months tongue!

(Edit - done).

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 20-Feb-11 11:02:16)

Standard User Global_Inferno
(newbie) Sun 20-Feb-11 11:07:34
Print Post

[re: seekdestroy2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by seekdestroy2:
I'm also with ADSL24 and they are great. That must be pretty fustrating, but it's just some kind of technical IT bug, don't let this ruin your expectations of them.

They are a very good isp and do have great support, maybe if you just talk to them properly I'm sure they can do something about it.

It seems their automated Email system is bugged (had an incorrect email last week), but that is all that is at fault here.

They may well be a good ISP once you actually get it up and running, but any company that thinks it's ok to force someone to take a day off and sit around for 5 hours twiddling their thumbs for something they've been promised, only to find that it was all a waste of time. doesn't strike me as particularly good customer service!

Then as an added insult to injury, to be told that I wouldn't be charged for the days between the 18th - 24th, as if it were some kind of compensation, just made my jaw drop.

Then the fact that when I asked to speak to a manager about compensation or cancellation I was told that "there isn't one here". Umm... What kind of company runs a customer services department with no manager in the middle of a working day!?
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 20-Feb-11 11:32:15
Print Post

[re: Global_Inferno] [link to this post]

What kind of company runs a customer services department with no manager in the middle of a working day!?

A small one.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Sun 20-Feb-11 11:54:07
Print Post

[re: Global_Inferno] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Global_Inferno:
And I have a Cable-Router (ie. with a "modem" port and 4 LAN connections) already, from my Virgin Media days at University!

That's nice for you. Shame it won't work laugh
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Sun 20-Feb-11 11:56:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:

My street has virgin media cable but not the house where I live and VM say they can't install there - how's THAT for a bummer!

No FTTC either.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to