General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ifb_online
(newbie) Fri 25-Feb-11 22:17:28
Print Post

Re: Fast.co.uk FTTC

[re: uno] [link to this post]

OK, got it. The video doesn't show up in IE, but I see it in FireFox. I see a long term graph above (chart and line) but not a real time one.

The rate is all over the place and it says lots of frames are bing dropped.

Am I right in thinking that the network routing is all the same as FTTC is a BT wholesale customer? I know a BT Infinity user who has no problems with YouTube.

Ian
Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 25-Feb-11 22:19:59
Print Post

[re: ifb_online] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ifb_online:
The rate is all over the place and it says lots of frames are bing dropped.

How are you connected? wireless or wired? What MTU have you set on your equipment?

Am I right in thinking that the network routing is all the same as FTTC is a BT wholesale customer? I know a BT Infinity user who has no problems with YouTube.

Routing to Youtube? That is very much ISP dependent on who they peer with and where they peer.

Matt

-
uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Manchester Speedtest.net Host

Edited by uno (Fri 25-Feb-11 22:20:19)

Standard User ifb_online
(newbie) Fri 25-Feb-11 22:27:02
Print Post

Sorry for that slightly garbled reply!

I'm connected both wirelessly (Wireless-N using my laptop one metre from the router) and via cat-5 to the router (Gigabit Ethernet at both ends). I can't get steady YouTube streaming with either.

My question about FTTC and Fast is that as Fast is a wholesale customer of BT's, wouldn't the network characteristics be the same for BT Infinity and Fast customers? Or is that too simplistic?

Ian

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ifb_online
(newbie) Fri 25-Feb-11 22:27:53
Print Post

Ah, I forgot - the MTU is 1492.

Ian
Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 25-Feb-11 22:30:31
Print Post

wouldn't the network characteristics be the same for BT Infinity and Fast customers? Or is that too simplistic

The routes each network takes to YouTube will be very different. One could perform better than others but that would be something they will have no doubt investigated. Maybe another customer of the same ISP could post if they're having the issue.

If they are not, it could indicate something your end, but if they are seeing the same problem, likely the ISP.

Matt

-
uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Manchester Speedtest.net Host
Standard User ifb_online
(newbie) Fri 25-Feb-11 22:32:53
Print Post

OK, thanks - I will keep the thread posted if there is any news!

Ian
Standard User Zadeks
(member) Fri 25-Feb-11 22:40:30
Print Post

BT speedtest result incl ip profile?
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sat 26-Feb-11 00:13:17
Print Post

My question about FTTC and Fast is that as Fast is a wholesale customer of BT's, wouldn't the network characteristics be the same for BT Infinity and Fast customers?

No, not at all.

Think of both FTTC and ADSL that use OpenReach fibre and BTwholesale 21CN connectivity in the same way as the old "dial up", where you could dial into any ISP you had an account with.

The fact BTwholesale provided the telephone lines to connect your modem to the selected ISPs modem didn't affect the internet speeds/connection.

How the internet service performed by that ISP was down to how the ISP network was set up and who they contracted with for connectivity.

Well OpenReach fibre and BTwholesale 21CN networks connect you into the ISP, which could be BT Retail and their "BT Infinity" product, or it could be "BT Broadband" or it could be FAST or ADSL24, or IDNet etc.

OpenReach and BTWholesale provide a fast connection into the ISP - but not to the internet - if there wasn't a difference then the Competition Commission / Ofcom would want to know as the BT group would have a (complete) monopoly.

I feel there should be some simple diagrams of this, the ThinkBroadband "how it works" is good for how DSL works but doesn't show the separation of backhaul and ISP/Internet traffic.

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Standard User lockyatlrg
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 26-Feb-11 09:40:04
Print Post

Good test that, I get a steady 142XXkbps on that test.

o2 LLU
ROUTER:-DGN2000
Sync 17848D 1412U Annex A
Att:-35.0dB Down 17.4dB Up
SNR:-1.5dB Down 3.1dB Up
Standard User Goza
(newbie) Mon 14-Mar-11 19:20:52
Print Post

Any news from your end? I realised after reading your post that I have been having YouTube problems for quite a while now but as everything else was fine, I had put it down to a problem with YouTube. Now I'm not so sure. Will run a test when I get home and see.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to