General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User broadbandjockey
(member) Wed 23-Feb-11 18:36:40
Print Post

Re: Basingstoke FTTC - more cabinets this summer!

[re: planetming] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by planetming:
That's good news for new customers, but what about those of us stuck in a have but have not spot. Most of Kempshott Rise was connected to FTTC in the first phase, but fall just under the artificially imposed 15Mbit limit. So we cannot order FTTC from BT. In fact this could lead to defection to ISP's that will offer a sub 15Mbit product. Come on BT, sort it out.

Robert

I'm in Kempshott Rise, I couldn't order from BT Infinity as the predicted speed was 14.7 Mb/s.

Placed an order with IDNet and that went through without a hitch. Actual d/s is 28 Mb/s by the way. smile
Standard User WWWombat
(learned) Fri 25-Feb-11 05:06:26
Print Post

[re: planetming] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by planetming:
That's good news for new customers, but what about those of us stuck in a have but have not spot. Most of Kempshott Rise was connected to FTTC in the first phase, but fall just under the artificially imposed 15Mbit limit. So we cannot order FTTC from BT. In fact this could lead to defection to ISP's that will offer a sub 15Mbit product. Come on BT, sort it out.

Its an interesting point - not only is it an artificially-imposed limit, but its a future-based limit too. BT's predictions are based on a certain level of crosstalk, which doesn't exist yet and will only establish itself once the cables fill up some more.

Without the crosstalk yet, the first customers naturally find themselves on speeds considerably higher than the predictions say. This leaves BT open to ridicule, in forums such as this, for both having the limit *and* for having the wrong predictions.

I can't help but wonder if the limit is self-imposed for a different reason - and that is the fact that (at the moment) BT can charge a hefty price supplement just because of the name of the technology, and because it has a huge headline speed. However, if people start to discover that FTTC is a handy way to solve the "notspot" problem, even if it boosts speeds from <100kbps to just 2Mbps, then it won't be long before Ofcom start putting price controls in place.

I think BT want it to be considered "exclusive" for a little longer...
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 26-Feb-11 12:11:32
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Cross-talk on fibre???

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(member) Sat 26-Feb-11 12:42:41
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Cross-talk on fibre???

No, Crosstalk on the piece of copper between you and the FTTC cabinet. Most of that journey is conducted on multicore cables, the size of which increase as you get closer to the cabinet.

VDSL suffers from crosstalk more than ADSL does. It's one theory why BT's speed checker gives such low result, when in practice most people with predictions below 20 Mb/s actually get about double that, and those above 20, get close on 40. You might end up with a figure far closer to BT's estimate, once others on a multicore you share come on line with FTTC
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 14-Mar-11 13:33:22
Print Post

[re: DougM] [link to this post]

How much does BT increase its revenue if I (who have been a lifelong customer of its) decide I have had enough of being put off and ignored, and switch all my business to Virgin - permanently?

Not to mention if I then go around telling everyone I meet about how much better life is now that I have fast broadband at last, and how BT couldn't manage it but Virgin did?
Standard User DougM
(member) Mon 14-Mar-11 14:05:27
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Which is exactly why it makes sense for BT to target Virgin areas, to avoid giving people an excuse to leave whilst encouraging the return of those who did. That's how they protect and grow revenue.

Obviously not every Virgin area is going to get BT FTTC, and there will be lots of non-Virgin areas getting service, but in terms of return-on-investment it makes sense for BT to target their competitors.

-==-
DougM
Standard User Hyde_TDS
(newbie) Sat 04-Jun-11 16:40:29
Print Post

Hi

Does anyone have an update as to when this fillin (Hatch Warren) will start?

I've used my ISP's and BT's checker and both say "nothing doing for the next 6 months"!

Cheers
Hyde
(member) Sat 04-Jun-11 19:16:56
Print Post

[re: Hyde_TDS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Hyde_TDS:
Hi

Does anyone have an update as to when this fillin (Hatch Warren) will start?

I've used my ISP's and BT's checker and both say "nothing doing for the next 6 months"!

Cheers
Hyde

A few weeks ago BT seemed to be laying more fibre along the A30, near the Kempshott roundabout. May not have been anything to do with FTTC of course.
Standard User DougM
(member) Sat 04-Jun-11 20:37:50
Print Post

[re: Hyde_TDS] [link to this post]

The new cabinets are considered part of the rollout phase 6a (September 2011).

BT has installed a new cabinet in Old Basing and yesterday began works to install new FTTC cabinets in Chineham. These works are logged at www.elgin.gov.uk , where I see works also planned for Cliddesden Lane (PCP199). I couldn't find anything planned for PCP 79 or 82 yet, although I understand these are planned for this phase.

Edit: added a space after the URL, the site turned it into a link and decided to include the comma!

-==-
DougM

Edited by DougM (Sat 04-Jun-11 22:00:59)

Standard User Hyde_TDS
(newbie) Sat 04-Jun-11 20:53:05
Print Post

Cheers. I suspect I'm on PCP 79 frown Possibility that I'm on 199, but I doubt it.

Couldn't get your .gov link to work though? Just comes up in IE9 with a diagnose connection problems whereas other Fav's I have work just fine, including of course posting back here.

[edit]Though doing it via Google works :-? at least in terms of accessing the site, can't get the zoom to features or serach to work at the moment.

Edited by Hyde_TDS (Sat 04-Jun-11 21:12:14)

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to