General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gr0mit
(learned) Tue 22-Feb-11 10:24:00
Print Post

Basingstoke FTTC - more cabinets this summer!

[link to this post]

Dear all
I am pleased to be able to advise that Openreach have confirmed to the Basingstoke Broadband Campaign that 20 more FTTC cabs are to be deployed in Basingstoke this summer as part of an infill programme.

Press Release (which we have worked with BT Openreach on) is below. We are told that the new rollout will include all remaining cabinets in Hatch Warren (except Beggarwood) and most of the remaining cabinets in Chineham.

We will keep this forum posted on progress!

With Best Regards

Tim Robinson
Basingstoke Broadband Campaign

Basingstoke Broadband Campaign
PRESS RELEASE
Basingstoke, 22nd February 2011
BT confirms details of additional super-fast
broadband deployment for Basingstoke

Background
For many years, Basingstoke has been in something of a broadband slow lane. Many of the
residential areas in the outskirts of Basingstoke have suffered from very slow and in some
cases non-existent broadband service, as a result of long telephone lines from the town
centre telephone exchange.
In the spring of 2010, BTs Openreach division deployed super-fast fibre optic broadband to a
proportion of Basingstoke residents and businesses. The initial deployment targeted specific
areas of the town which analysis showed to be commercially viable. However, this
deployment still left considerable parts of the town with internet access well below the
government's target of 2 Mbit per second.
Since the initial deployment last year, The Basingstoke Broadband Campaign, along with
Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council, Hampshire County Council and Maria Miller MP,
has done a lot of work to identify parts of the town which would benefit from further
deployment of super-fast broadband.
Details
Openreach has today confirmed the details of the infill programme that they announced late
last year, which will see additional cabinets added to the rollout across the country. Within this
programme, a further 20 cabinets will be upgraded in Basingstoke to support super-fast
broadband by late Summer 2011. These additional cabinets will provide more than 7,000
extra Basingstoke Homes and Businesses with the opportunity to benefit from high-speed
Internet from a variety of communications providers.
Kevin McNulty, General Manager - NGA Customer Engagement at Openreach told the
Basingstoke Broadband Campaign, "Basingstoke was amongst some of the first areas in the
country to receive super-fast broadband. Now that we've got some experience of early
deployment in Basingstoke, we feel confident enough with the technology to roll it out in areas
that didn't meet our initial planning criteria. As the deployment takes place, the line checker
communications providers use to check service availability will be updated to reflect the
additional service areas.
Jaffa Brown, of the Basingstoke Broadband Campaign, said:
We are absolutely delighted that Openreach has engaged with us so constructively. The
result is that many more residents will soon be able to benefit from super-fast broadband
service.
Whilst this represents a significant increase in availability of super-fast broadband, we do
understand that there will inevitably be gaps in coverage for reasons of network topology and
cost of deployment. The Basingstoke Broadband Campaign is actively working to find
solutions to overcome these relatively small pockets where Openreach cannot deploy superfast
broadband in a way that fits their commercial model.

Best Regards
Tim Robinson
TxRx Communications Ltd
Fast wireless broadband for Basingstoke www.hiwifi.co.uk
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 22-Feb-11 11:25:37
Print Post

Re: Basingstoke FTTC - more cabinets this summer!

[re: gr0mit] [link to this post]

sounds good. Not doing them all though - any views why ?

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User undecidedadrian
(learned) Tue 22-Feb-11 12:06:27
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

I assume planning permission, avaliabilty of power company and good old fashion economics.

I notice the places that had a huge backlash from the local community, Harringay and St Albans spring to mind haven't had any more infill yet.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gr0mit
(learned) Tue 22-Feb-11 16:25:28
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

They have several crieria for planning which seem to be confidential within Openreach. However, the ones that have been alluded to in discussions include:

Number of active customers on a cab (too few = not enough customers to make it viable, too many = can't fit tie pairs into cab)
average length of D-side lines to premises from the cabs (too many long lines = lower speed and does not meet the minimum speed guarantees BT want for FTTC
cost of getting fibre there,
cost/availability of power,
planning issues in conservation areas,
local competition (i.e. Virgin Media!) Perversely, if VM are there, they see this as 'competition' and want to 'compete'. Bizarre, as most businsees try and go where the competition isn't!

There's probably others...

Rgds
Tim

Best Regards
Tim Robinson
TxRx Communications Ltd
Standard User DougM
(regular) Tue 22-Feb-11 17:54:09
Print Post

The competition angle is interesting, and from a revenue perspective it actually makes perfect sense.

1. If BT win a customer from Virgin Media, they increase their revenue from that customer by 100%
2. If BT upgrade an existing customer from ADSL/2/2+ to VDSL, they increase their revenue from that customer by perhaps 30%

For example, as an existing BT customer I pay 12/mo for line rental and 15/mo for ADSL: 27/mo. A migration to FTTC would see that increase to 37/mo: netting BT an extra 10/mo

If I were in a Virgin Media area and switched to BT, they would get: 12/mo line rental, 25/mo Infinity, 13/mo for Vision: netting BT an extra 50/mo

-==-
DougM
Standard User undecidedadrian
(learned) Tue 22-Feb-11 18:32:37
Print Post

[re: DougM] [link to this post]

even less if a customer goes from BT broadband option 3 to Infinity Option 2, they will see less than £2 per month extra.
Standard User planetming
(newbie) Tue 22-Feb-11 19:46:57
Print Post

That's good news for new customers, but what about those of us stuck in a have but have not spot. Most of Kempshott Rise was connected to FTTC in the first phase, but fall just under the artificially imposed 15Mbit limit. So we cannot order FTTC from BT. In fact this could lead to defection to ISP's that will offer a sub 15Mbit product. Come on BT, sort it out.

Robert
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-Feb-11 20:43:15
Print Post

[re: planetming] [link to this post]

but fall just under the artificially imposed 15Mbit limit.

15Mbit was set as a limit, as this was deemed the required rate to stream HD TV.

Standard User DougM
(regular) Tue 22-Feb-11 20:50:19
Print Post

In fact this could lead to defection to ISP's that will offer a sub 15Mbit product

Could? It already has!

Submit an order with an alternative supplier, most of whom will submit an order to "try and see" rather than relying on the BT estimate.

As an example from this very forum, ADSL24 accepted an order that was refused by BT because the estimate was 3.4Mbps. It went live at 19Mbps!

-==-
DougM
Standard User Michael_Chare
(member) Wed 23-Feb-11 18:07:55
Print Post

Do you have contact details for the Kevin McNulty, General Manager - NGA Customer Engagement at Openreach?

Also what did you say to BT that made them change their mind?

Michael Chare
Standard User broadbandjockey
(member) Wed 23-Feb-11 18:36:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by planetming:
That's good news for new customers, but what about those of us stuck in a have but have not spot. Most of Kempshott Rise was connected to FTTC in the first phase, but fall just under the artificially imposed 15Mbit limit. So we cannot order FTTC from BT. In fact this could lead to defection to ISP's that will offer a sub 15Mbit product. Come on BT, sort it out.

Robert

I'm in Kempshott Rise, I couldn't order from BT Infinity as the predicted speed was 14.7 Mb/s.

Placed an order with IDNet and that went through without a hitch. Actual d/s is 28 Mb/s by the way. smile
Standard User WWWombat
(learned) Fri 25-Feb-11 05:06:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by planetming:

Its an interesting point - not only is it an artificially-imposed limit, but its a future-based limit too. BT's predictions are based on a certain level of crosstalk, which doesn't exist yet and will only establish itself once the cables fill up some more.

Without the crosstalk yet, the first customers naturally find themselves on speeds considerably higher than the predictions say. This leaves BT open to ridicule, in forums such as this, for both having the limit *and* for having the wrong predictions.

I can't help but wonder if the limit is self-imposed for a different reason - and that is the fact that (at the moment) BT can charge a hefty price supplement just because of the name of the technology, and because it has a huge headline speed. However, if people start to discover that FTTC is a handy way to solve the "notspot" problem, even if it boosts speeds from <100kbps to just 2Mbps, then it won't be long before Ofcom start putting price controls in place.

I think BT want it to be considered "exclusive" for a little longer...
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 26-Feb-11 12:11:32
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Cross-talk on fibre???
(member) Sat 26-Feb-11 12:42:41
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Cross-talk on fibre???

No, Crosstalk on the piece of copper between you and the FTTC cabinet. Most of that journey is conducted on multicore cables, the size of which increase as you get closer to the cabinet.

VDSL suffers from crosstalk more than ADSL does. It's one theory why BT's speed checker gives such low result, when in practice most people with predictions below 20 Mb/s actually get about double that, and those above 20, get close on 40. You might end up with a figure far closer to BT's estimate, once others on a multicore you share come on line with FTTC
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 14-Mar-11 13:33:22
Print Post

How much does BT increase its revenue if I (who have been a lifelong customer of its) decide I have had enough of being put off and ignored, and switch all my business to Virgin - permanently?

Not to mention if I then go around telling everyone I meet about how much better life is now that I have fast broadband at last, and how BT couldn't manage it but Virgin did?
Standard User DougM
(member) Mon 14-Mar-11 14:05:27
Print Post

Which is exactly why it makes sense for BT to target Virgin areas, to avoid giving people an excuse to leave whilst encouraging the return of those who did. That's how they protect and grow revenue.

Obviously not every Virgin area is going to get BT FTTC, and there will be lots of non-Virgin areas getting service, but in terms of return-on-investment it makes sense for BT to target their competitors.

-==-
DougM
Standard User Hyde_TDS
(newbie) Sat 04-Jun-11 16:40:29
Print Post

Hi

Does anyone have an update as to when this fillin (Hatch Warren) will start?

I've used my ISP's and BT's checker and both say "nothing doing for the next 6 months"!

Cheers
Hyde
(member) Sat 04-Jun-11 19:16:56
Print Post

[re: Hyde_TDS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Hyde_TDS:
Hi

Does anyone have an update as to when this fillin (Hatch Warren) will start?

I've used my ISP's and BT's checker and both say "nothing doing for the next 6 months"!

Cheers
Hyde

A few weeks ago BT seemed to be laying more fibre along the A30, near the Kempshott roundabout. May not have been anything to do with FTTC of course.
Standard User DougM
(member) Sat 04-Jun-11 20:37:50
Print Post

The new cabinets are considered part of the rollout phase 6a (September 2011).

BT has installed a new cabinet in Old Basing and yesterday began works to install new FTTC cabinets in Chineham. These works are logged at www.elgin.gov.uk , where I see works also planned for Cliddesden Lane (PCP199). I couldn't find anything planned for PCP 79 or 82 yet, although I understand these are planned for this phase.

Edit: added a space after the URL, the site turned it into a link and decided to include the comma!

-==-
DougM

Edited by DougM (Sat 04-Jun-11 22:00:59)

Standard User Hyde_TDS
(newbie) Sat 04-Jun-11 20:53:05
Print Post

Cheers. I suspect I'm on PCP 79 frown Possibility that I'm on 199, but I doubt it.

Couldn't get your .gov link to work though? Just comes up in IE9 with a diagnose connection problems whereas other Fav's I have work just fine, including of course posting back here.

[edit]Though doing it via Google works :-? at least in terms of accessing the site, can't get the zoom to features or serach to work at the moment.

Edited by Hyde_TDS (Sat 04-Jun-11 21:12:14)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 04-Jun-11 21:26:59
Print Post

There is a comma (,) on the end of the link that needs to be removed.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 06-Jun-11 18:06:08
Print Post

Cabinet 199 has a new big brother next to it...!!!
Standard User Hyde_TDS
(newbie) Mon 06-Jun-11 18:10:49
Print Post

Yeah saw them working on this around lunchtime. Don't think I'm connected to that one though frown
Standard User chainsawdude
(regular) Tue 07-Jun-11 22:36:59
Print Post

Thanks, that's interesting, I see they are working on PCP 67 which is my CAB.

Are you quite sure about your "rollout phase 6a" information?

skybroadband
Downstream 852 Kbps
Upstream 384 Kbps
On Draytek 2820G
Standard User DougM
(member) Tue 07-Jun-11 23:59:56
Print Post

[re: chainsawdude] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by chainsawdude:
Are you quite sure about your "rollout phase 6a" information?

Yep, although 6a is nominally September (and 6b December) the reality is that each phase is spread over 2-4 months with exchanges/cabinets upgraded/installed at various times during that period.

I guess that we have been lucky to get new cabinets right are the beginning of this phase, but they're not much use until they're active and accepting orders. You can find plenty of examples on this forum of long delays between a cabinet installation and orders being accepted, let's hope these cabinets being infill will reduce any delays.

-==-
DougM
Standard User LightUpMyPipe
(newbie) Wed 08-Jun-11 12:15:30
Print Post

Good to see that PCP 199 has had a new cabinet installed. Wonder when it will be up and running?
I'm not sure if I'm connected to it or not though. I live down Primrose Gardens so I guess I could be connected to PCP 199 or PCP 82. Anybody out there actually know for sure?
Standard User Justo
(learned) Wed 08-Jun-11 14:43:13
Print Post

[re: LightUpMyPipe] [link to this post]

Your postcode is 100% on 82.

Edited by Justo (Wed 08-Jun-11 14:46:03)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 08-Jun-11 18:16:02
Print Post

[re: Justo] [link to this post]

Thanks Justo.
I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that they start on 82 ASAP.
For future reference how did you find out what postcodes are related to what cabinets?
(regular) Wed 08-Jun-11 21:31:26
Print Post

The new CAB is obvious now I have seen it, but the BT line checker still says "BT Infinity is not currently due to be rolled out in your area within the next 6 months".
After years of being too far from the exchange, this could mean I am even too far from the CAB.

skybroadband
Downstream 852 Kbps
Upstream 384 Kbps
On Draytek 2820G
Standard User DougM
(member) Wed 08-Jun-11 21:49:26
Print Post

Do not despair, the new cabinets have yet to be added to the BT Wholesale database used by BT Retail to determine which lines are FTTC capable. Since the exchange is already active, Basingstoke is not listed in any future rollout phase and therefore does not feature in the forward planning data available to BT Retail.

Within the next few days or weeks the cabinets will hopefully be marked active and the FTTC resellers, including BT Retail, will be able to place orders.

I recommend avoiding the BT Infinity checker, since it filters lines with low estimates, instead go straight to the BT Wholesale checker to see the full story. Check back every few days, it would be quite some time before the cabinets filter through.

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

Once you get the data, if you are unlucky enough to have a low estimate then try an ISP such as ADSL24, AAISP or IDnet who will be more than happy to help you get service.

-==-
DougM
Standard User Justo
(learned) Thu 09-Jun-11 09:20:36
Print Post

Thanks Justo.
For future reference how did you find out what postcodes are related to what cabinets?

You're welcome, I looked it up in this;

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9860239/PCP-to-Postcode-Repo...

Just remember you need Excel 2007/10 or similar to see it all.
Standard User philippercival
(committed) Thu 09-Jun-11 10:45:49
Print Post

Interesting list.

Ely is not on it. frown
(regular) Thu 09-Jun-11 21:01:17
Print Post

Thanks for the reply.

If I am out of range, will I see any change at all in the line checker?

skybroadband
Downstream 852 Kbps
Upstream 384 Kbps
On Draytek 2820G
(regular) Thu 09-Jun-11 21:06:36
Print Post

Thanks.

skybroadband
Downstream 852 Kbps
Upstream 384 Kbps
On Draytek 2820G
Standard User Hyde_TDS
(newbie) Tue 14-Jun-11 14:24:48
Print Post

Magic!!

Confirms I'm on PCP79 scheduled in phase 6a. A bit longer to wait then frown
Standard User mork23
(newbie) Thu 16-Jun-11 12:07:33
Print Post

OK good news ref PCP199 which is what I'm connected to. So question for anyone already connected, roughly what is the time from the cab going 'live' to be able to order a connection from it?

Cheers in advance
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 21-Jun-11 16:24:34
Print Post

[re: mork23] [link to this post]

yup - Cab 199 is there! This is my cab. My new line is installed awaiting the RFS date. Bring it on!
Standard User mork23
(newbie) Wed 22-Jun-11 12:20:26
Print Post

Good news. So how did you go about getting a connection and who is it with? I've spoken to BT and they deny all knowledge that anything is happening in my 'area' within the next 6 months.

Appreciate any help you can provide.

Cheers!
Standard User mrslowband
(newbie) Thu 23-Jun-11 22:50:51
Print Post

Thanks for the update.

Unfortunately I am on PCP 74 and according to the BT guys that have worked on PCP 67, there are lots of issues with 74 regarding planning permissions etc and could get passed over!!

After being so close to fast broadband (or any broadband) at the moment its looking like a pipe dream.

If anyone has an update on 74 that differs would love to know!
Standard User gr0mit
(learned) Fri 24-Jun-11 09:20:24
Print Post

[re: mrslowband] [link to this post]

According to the list I got from Openreach, 74 is not on the list to be done. I know this won't come as a happy update for you frown

I'm thinking we might be able to run a hiwifi.co.uk style service instead but I have not looked at Chinham very closely as there are too many trees frown Do you think there might be interest?

Best Regards
Tim Robinson
TxRx Communications Ltd
Standard User mork23
(newbie) Fri 08-Jul-11 11:21:18
Print Post

So this is concerning. I've been checking the BT ADSL checker every few days. My phone number tells me nothing new although I know the local street cab (199) has a new FTTC expansion next to it. Today nothing new about my phone number but I decided to check my post code which has additional detail to it. This worries me as it says:

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed between 9.2 to 30 Mbps and upstream line speed between 1.8 to 6.6 Mbps.

So why doesn't this info appear when I put my phone line in? Are there further restrictions? If the above info now appears for my post code could I in theory contact BT and see if I can place an order?

Thanks in advance for any info.
Standard User DougM
(member) Fri 08-Jul-11 11:32:26
Print Post

None of the new Basingstoke cabinets have made it into the line database yet, not even for projected availability.

Postcode matches are being reported almost randomly (my postcode is 100% fed from a cabinet not yet active, but reports FTTC availability where telephone numbers do not).

BT has roadworks scheduled around the new cabinets for the rest of this month; many are yet to receive power. I would expect to see availability in the wholesale checker towards the end of this month.

-==-
DougM
Standard User LightUpMyPipe
(newbie) Fri 08-Jul-11 13:14:11
Print Post

Justo told me that I'm connected to cab 82. I see with excitement that it now has a spanking new FTTC cabinet next to it - so I'm also checking the BT Wholesale checker every day. I'm getting a different answer between the postcode checker and the phone number checker too.
Thanks for giving me some idea when I can expect availability to appear.
Standard User gr0mit
(learned) Fri 08-Jul-11 13:25:12
Print Post

Because they were blowing the fibre in yesterday when I spoke to the chap at cab 199. He said it should be all connected up yesterday, then a space of 2-4 weeks for testing, and updating databases, checkers, etc. Nearly ready to roll!

Best Regards
Tim Robinson
TxRx Communications Ltd
Standard User mork23
(newbie) Fri 08-Jul-11 13:39:33
Print Post

Thanks for the updates, guys.
Standard User Elwood10
(newbie) Sat 09-Jul-11 00:22:54
Print Post

Not sure if I should be posting here, have fibre optic through BT in Baso, not happy with my speeds, just done a uk broadband speed test (it's after midnight) and download speed is 14.4 and upload is 1.6. I saw on another forum here that someone from Baso is getting 28 download (cant subsequently find the post though) What is going on here?

All comments or suggestions to repost welcome.

Cadders
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 09-Jul-11 01:15:02
Print Post

[re: Elwood10] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Elwood10:
(cant subsequently find the post though)

Cadders
It's here and your reply to it, similar to your post here is further down.

To find your own posts, as you had replied to it, click your nick in a post you have made, (doing a dummy post and doing this from the preview screen probably works, then cancel the previewed post). This opens your profile just like it opens other peoples' if you click their nicks, then you click "Show all user's posts" at the bottom.

Alternatively click the Search button in the menu, and search for your own nick, selecting Search Option "By username".

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 09-Jul-11 01:16:02)

Standard User Hyde_TDS
(newbie) Sun 14-Aug-11 12:58:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by Justo:
Thanks Justo.

You're welcome, I looked it up in this;

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9860239/PCP-to-Postcode-Repo...

Just remember you need Excel 2007/10 or similar to see it all.
Is this still the latest list?
Standard User steveeeee
(newbie) Wed 17-Aug-11 20:46:35
Print Post

Has anybody on PCP67 or PCP66 been able to put an order in yet? I placed an order with PlusNet last week and just got an email to say "Unfortunately, our suppliers have advised us that your cabinet does not support FTTC technology at present and there are no plans to upgrade it in the near future." This was after their salesman told me that his checker showed that I would get about 14.4Mbps. It's not clear yet if my order failed because of the arbitrary 15Mbps threshold, or if there's some other problem. I have a few phone calls to make tomorrow.

The Wholesale checker says ADSL up to 512kbps, ADSL Max up to 2.5Mbps, and ADSL2+ up to 3.5Mbps, and nothing about fibre.

I'm on PCP66 and can see that both 66 and 67 have got shiny new big brothers. We haven't been here that long and I'm not sure when they were installed. The spreadsheet indicates that they're in phase 6a so it's probably a bit early still.
Standard User DougM
(member) Wed 17-Aug-11 21:04:16
Print Post

[re: steveeeee] [link to this post]

Hi Steveeeee,

You won't be able to place an order until the wholesale checker is updated to say that it is available. You can't order in advance, even where a date is announced.

The good news is that p168 at the other end of Reading Road now has a date (tomorrow), so I'd expect p66 and p67 to follow soon.

2-3months is typical from a cabinet being physically installed and being ready to accept orders. Power and the cross connect to the PCP must be completed post FTTC cabinet installation, then there is a few weeks of monitoring before they mark it active.

-==-
DougM
Standard User gr0mit
(learned) Wed 17-Aug-11 22:32:44
Print Post

Hi
Some cabs are going live tomorrow. I have it on good authority the others will follow withing the next 2 weeks or so. Keep checking each day.

Rgds
Tim

Best Regards
Tim Robinson
TxRx Communications Ltd
Standard User Jarvey
(newbie) Tue 23-Aug-11 12:39:28
Print Post

Hi all,

Anyone had any luck in the last few days?

I'm pinning my hopes on CAB 82 but am still getting the standard "no plans to roll out service" answer from BT's sites.

John
Standard User DougM
(member) Tue 23-Aug-11 13:40:17
Print Post

[re: Jarvey] [link to this post]

At least one of the new cabinets is accepting orders (serving p168 in Chineham), but most are still showing as inactive in BT Wholesale's system.

I'd recommend checking the BT Wholesale site every couple of days, I'd be surprised if more are not on-line before the end of next week.

-==-
DougM
Standard User Jarvey
(newbie) Tue 23-Aug-11 14:19:02
Print Post

Thanks for the reply.

Out of interest what is you are able to check on the wholesale site that enables you to see whether cabinets are active or inactive?

John
Standard User DougM
(member) Tue 23-Aug-11 16:38:34
Print Post

The public BT Wholesale Checker will only report status on lines, most accurately by entering a phone number. It is possible to use this to determine which cabinets are active only if you have a number of a line connected to the cabinet you want to check.

The raw cabinet data is not publicly available, although versions have been leaked online. End-users tend to have most success getting more detail by enquiring with a friendly FTTC ISP (ADSL24, IDNet, AAISP, etc).

-==-
DougM
Standard User Jarvey
(newbie) Tue 30-Aug-11 18:42:35
Print Post

More out of frustration and impatience I rang a couple of providers today, Plusnet and IDNet both of whom said their databases showed that BT had had no plans to enable these cabinets through to the end of Q1 2012. I hope they are wrong obviously!! BT Wholesale says that my postcode is FTTC enabled but telephone number is not.

It feels like a case of so near and yet so far.
Standard User steveeeee
(newbie) Wed 31-Aug-11 23:57:46
Print Post

I ended up going with Plusnet's Extra Broadband package, which took another week and is currently still settling in. They have confirmed that I have an open option to upgrade to VDSL as soon as it becomes available and I'm checking the wholesale checker every week or so.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 01-Sep-11 02:42:38
Print Post

Magic!!

Confirms I'm on PCP79 scheduled in phase 6a. A bit longer to wait then frown
Looks like they've pretty much infilled all of Hatch Warrenbar PCP70. Grrrrrr!!
Standard User MrGimper
(newbie) Thu 01-Sep-11 13:01:19
Print Post

I'm in Monarch Close (Hatch Warren) and had business infinity installed on tuesday (30th August). Apparently according to the PCP to postcode spreadsheets I've seen I'm connected to PCP190 on Long Cross Lane.

I'm getting ~34mb/s down and ~8mb/s up

Loving it... especially as I got around 2mb/s on O2 LLU

Just wish I could see my SNR etc on the modem grrrrr

G
Standard User MrGimper
(newbie) Fri 02-Sep-11 14:41:33
Print Post

Is anyone live on PCP67 yet??

G

BT Infinity for Business
5x Static IP and unlimited traffic
Down = 33.59 Mb/s
Up = 8.32 Mb/s
Ping = 12 ms

BOOM!!
Standard User curtmantle
(newbie) Sun 04-Sep-11 10:51:01
Print Post

[re: MrGimper] [link to this post]

I'm a bit confused by the whole situation. I've been waiting since the announcement in March on the Basingstoke Broadband Campaign website, but on the 17th that site suggested that the current phase had been completed:

http://www.basingstoke-broadband.co.uk/news.html

But the cabinet I am connected to (PCB79) which is allegedly part of phase 6a hasn't been upgraded (no physical evidence that I can see).

So what phase are we in? If a cabinet hasn't been upgraded by now does that mean we've been left out - again?!
Standard User MrGimper
(newbie) Sun 04-Sep-11 11:46:22
Print Post

[re: curtmantle] [link to this post]

According to the google map of PCPs, 79 is awaiting planning permission. Dunno how old this information is tho....

PCP Locations - Google

BT Infinity for Business
5x Static IP and unlimited traffic
Down = 33.59 Mb/s
Up = 8.32 Mb/s
Ping = 12 ms

BOOM!!
Standard User DougM
(member) Sun 04-Sep-11 12:17:26
Print Post

Only two cabinets required planning permission, both of which were approved. These were coloured dark blue. Tim coloured all the "new" cabinets light blue. The only two of these requiring permission were in Old Basing because it's a conservation area.

The old cabinets will not change, a new cabinet will be installed within 100 metres and cross-connected underground. The new cabinets are about 1.5m tall and have a power warning label on the side (old cabinets have no power).

I'm only aware of two new cabinets accepting orders (168 and 199), the others appear to be delayed. All I can recommend is to check using the BT Wholesale site every few days. Avoid the BT Infinity checker because it filters lines estimated less than 15Mbps.

-==-
DougM
Standard User Jarvey
(newbie) Sun 04-Sep-11 22:55:40
Print Post

I'm as confused as you and had high hopes for PCP82 in August.

The waiting would be easier if some information were available from within some part of BT e.g. it will be 3 months, six months etc. Driving past that shiny new cabinet each day does not help when you have 0.3 download speed waiting for you at home!
Standard User curtmantle
(newbie) Mon 05-Sep-11 01:19:33
Print Post

Thanks for the replies. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Hopefully all of us will get what we've been waiting so long for!!
Standard User Hyde_TDS
(newbie) Thu 08-Sep-11 21:15:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by curtmantle:
I'm a bit confused by the whole situation. I've been waiting since the announcement in March on the Basingstoke Broadband Campaign website, but on the 17th that site suggested that the current phase had been completed:

http://www.basingstoke-broadband.co.uk/news.html

But the cabinet I am connected to (PCB79) which is allegedly part of phase 6a hasn't been upgraded (no physical evidence that I can see).

So what phase are we in? If a cabinet hasn't been upgraded by now does that mean we've been left out - again?!
The PCP to Postcode spreadsheet linked further up this thread has PCP79 scheduled for phase 6a which is supposed to be completed during Sept 2011. However, other 6a PCP's on Hatch Warren were completed during August. There is no physical evidence that work is about to start on pcp79 either, including my monitoring the Elgar website for applications from BT to the council to conduct minor works. So I'm getting ever more concerned that this PCP won't get done. Does anyone have any direct info from OpenReach?
Standard User curtmantle
(newbie) Fri 09-Sep-11 08:25:53
Print Post

I really hope you're not right and that it is still scheduled to be updated. It would be galling if the rest of Hatch Warren gets upgraded and one or two PCPs get left out... without any explanation.

If it does get missed out this phase, I suspect we'll be waiting a long time for the upgrade.
Standard User Hyde_TDS
(newbie) Fri 09-Sep-11 16:34:17
Print Post

[...including my monitoring the Elgar website for applications from BT to the council to conduct minor works...[/quote]Elgin not Elgar blush
Standard User Toscar
(newbie) Fri 09-Sep-11 19:47:18
Print Post

Has anyone had any luck on P66, or anywhere else in Chineham for a residential connection? It's scheduled in 6a...I check every day now frown
Standard User Jarvey
(newbie) Tue 20-Sep-11 16:57:31
Print Post

[re: Toscar] [link to this post]

There seems to be a consensus of expectation that phase 6a was to be scheduled for September. Is anyone close enough to sources of information to know whether that still stands or has there been slippage?

Pinning my hopes on PCP82.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 21-Sep-11 10:11:56
Print Post

Is anybody live on PCP 82 yet?

I'm getting very frustrated in Primrose Gardens, since all the other cabinets appear to be live and accepting orders.
Standard User Jarvey
(newbie) Wed 21-Sep-11 13:04:52
Print Post

I am as frustrated as you. The lack of information/updates is what makes it harder to bear. I assume that no one on PCP82 is live or close to live but I'm even beginning to question that assumption now!!
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 21-Sep-11 17:21:16
Print Post

I did a bit of checking today.

On the BT.com broadband checker none of the following roads can get get Infinity;
Heritage Park, Lapin Lane, Mayfield Ridge, Cyprus Rd, and I am assuming they all are connected to PCP 82.

If you enter the same postcodes into the BT Wholesale then a fibre connection appears to be available.

My conclusion is that BT Wholesale have given it the thumbs up but it hasn't reached BT Retail. Maybe just a few days to go.

PCP199 was installed a few weeks before PCP82.
Standard User DougM
(member) Wed 21-Sep-11 21:09:44
Print Post

Only one of the four new cabinets in Chineham went live last month, it's now three months since they were all installed. BT is back at the remaining cabinets this week digging trenches to connect power, so I guess they will go live in a few weeks.

It's frustrating that BT Openreach didn't tag these cabinets with predicted availability dates, it is frustrating to see the cabinet every day for 3-4 months but have absolutely no idea when it will go live. Locals unfamiliar with the rollout process have been wasting their time calling BT Retail trying to order, only to be told that these cabinets are "not planned in the next six months"!

As a communication company, BT would do well to start communicating!

-==-
DougM
Standard User curtmantle
(newbie) Thu 22-Sep-11 08:51:07
Print Post

I'm at the stage now where just seeing the cabinet being upgraded would be welcome, even if I have to wait a few months to get access.

For those whose cabinet has been upgraded, at least access to faster broadband is on the horizon. For some of us, despite being listed as being part of the current phase, we're wondering if we're going to be upgraded at all.

PCP79 still no signs of an upgrade. With other cabinets in the area having been done, it does make me wonder if it ever will be.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 23-Sep-11 10:55:14
Print Post

I'm down Primrose Gardens and have been waiting patiently (ok, impatiently) too.
I notice that there are now barriers around PCP 82. Maybe they co-ordinated electrical work with the new lampposts going in (though that would be a first I'm sure).
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 23-Sep-11 13:06:54
Print Post

I saw that too and am hoping that this signals a little bit of progress. Clinging to anything I guess!
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 23-Sep-11 17:10:17
Print Post

VERY fustrating for me and my neighbours that PCP 74 is not planned for an upgrade... what possible planning problems can there be for a green cabinet hiding behind a bush???
Standard User Hyde_TDS
(newbie) Fri 23-Sep-11 19:17:33
Print Post

I'm at the stage now where just seeing the cabinet being upgraded would be welcome, even if I have to wait a few months to get access.

For those whose cabinet has been upgraded, at least access to faster broadband is on the horizon. For some of us, despite being listed as being part of the current phase, we're wondering if we're going to be upgraded at all.

PCP79 still no signs of an upgrade. With other cabinets in the area having been done, it does make me wonder if it ever will be.
This doesn't fill me with hope at all!! Basingstoke Broadband
Standard User DougM
(member) Fri 23-Sep-11 20:07:01
Print Post

That's the list from the 2010 rollout, this year's in-fill is to upgrade ~20 of the cabinets from the "ignored" list on that page.

-==-
DougM
Standard User Hyde_TDS
(newbie) Sat 24-Sep-11 10:07:59
Print Post

Phew! Thank God for that. Thanks for the update.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 25-Sep-11 23:23:53
Print Post

Interesting

The cabinters are open to all CPs at the Same time - regardless iof whether they sit within the BT Group -=- Bt Reail does not get advance warning -- hence BT retail cannotn tsee them as they are not opened up as yet -- when whey are all will see them at the same tme -- is called equivalence
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 26-Sep-11 19:41:39
Print Post

I put our address into the BT Wholesale checker (Mayfield Ridge) and it only showed 512k fixed line speed, ADSL speeds 750kbps - 2.5mbps. So not that hopeful yet...
Standard User gr0mit
(learned) Mon 03-Oct-11 14:43:39
Print Post

Hi
Mayfield Ridge is either on cab 199 or 82, at the top of Woodbury Rd. This is scheduled to have been done already so should be any day now.

I am in Belmont Heights on 199 and have FTTC now.

Best Regards
Tim Robinson
TxRx Communications Ltd
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 05-Oct-11 13:44:14
Print Post

I don't think BT retail broadband checker will show the cabinets as available unless they can guarantee a minimum of 15mbs - BT wholesale dont seem to have this limitation!
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 06-Oct-11 08:51:03
Print Post

I'm on PCP82 (Grosvenor Close) and when checking BT Wholesale says that its live smile Just need to wait until BT Retail gets the same info!
Standard User Thalgrum
(learned) Thu 06-Oct-11 09:27:00
Print Post

I do wish they would do some more of the cabinets that they have missed out so far, they started this work nearly 2 years ago, they have done some cabinets near me, just across into south ham, but sadly looks like buckskin got shafted.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 06-Oct-11 12:16:55
Print Post

I'm on PCP82 (Grosvenor Close) and when checking BT Wholesale says that its live smile Just need to wait until BT Retail gets the same info!

Thats very odd.. checked it again a few moments ago and no sign at all of FTTC !!
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 09-Oct-11 19:43:51
Print Post

Anyone had any luck yet in Chineham - 66 or 67? I saw some work going on around 67 a little while ago, so not sure whether anyone on 67 has now had any luck. Nothing appears to be happening on 66, which I'm on.
Standard User DougM
(member) Sun 09-Oct-11 19:49:28
Print Post

I'm also on PCP 66 and patiently waiting its activation.

The DSLAM for PCP 67 now has power; I'm assuming it is going through a test cycle prior to being marked active.

The roadworks scheduled to provide power to the PCP 66 DSLAM were cancelled. Replacement works are not yet scheduled. I'm checking www.elgin.gov.uk daily for updates.

-==-
DougM
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 12-Oct-11 09:30:01
Print Post

Confused - if you put only the post code (RG224UY) into the BT Wholesale checker you get the following:
"Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed between 28.6 to 36 Mbps and upstream line speed between 6.2 to 9.1 Mbps"

But if you put in a house number and the post code the best you get is:
"Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 1Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1Mbps and 3.5Mbps"

I can't test my number as it's not with BT
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 14-Oct-11 08:19:52
Print Post

postcode will provde a general view and a post code may ber serviced by more that one cab

the checker using your line detemrines your actual cab rather than postcode . If your cab is one of the addtiional 20 in Basigstoke and is not yet live then yous situation would be as you describe
Standard User Adsl24
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 14-Oct-11 08:42:39
Print Post

Yeah, when an exchange is enabled for FTTC, the postcode checker will say you can get it (as long as you cab is being planned / already live), so ignore the postcode checker in all instances. Use the number checker or address checker to be accurate.

James
ADSL24 Broadband
http://adsl24.co.uk
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 15-Oct-11 08:17:27
Print Post

[re: Adsl24] [link to this post]

smile Looks like PCP82 is now live !!!
BT INFINITY site can accept orders!!
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 15-Oct-11 09:56:14
Print Post

Great news; yes PCP82 is live. I've just placed my order for installation on the 24th Oct and got it at the BT Shareholder rate!
(regular) Sat 15-Oct-11 23:22:13
Print Post

Anyone live on PCP 67

Anyone? anyone live on PCP67?

I am on 67 and I note the wholesale checker (for my phone number) is saying 31.5M for me, last time I checked it said 1.5M, I actually get 0.6M. The checker could be premature and I am looking for confirmation.

skybroadband
Downstream 852 Kbps
Upstream 384 Kbps
On Draytek 2820G

Edited by chainsawdude (Sat 15-Oct-11 23:26:47)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 19-Oct-11 08:53:20
Print Post

Wohoo at last - just placed my order, coming on the 2nd Nov smile
Standard User kitcat
(learned) Wed 19-Oct-11 09:31:28
Print Post

Re: Anyone live on PCP 67

Chainsawdude

If the Phone number checker says you can get it, don't wait around, order it from one of the suppliers.

You are likely to be stunned by the change from 0.6 Down / 0.4 up to 30+ down / 2 Up.

Enjoy the change
Standard User ccxo
(member) Wed 19-Oct-11 17:44:37
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

How many cabinets have been enabled in Basingstoke now?

Be close to the 100% coverage in Londonderry?

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Thalgrum
(learned) Sat 22-Oct-11 14:25:43
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

not even close, there are large area's that were skipped including where I live, supposedly its not cost effective or some such [censored], plus other area's where there is planning issues or bt cant access etc..
(regular) Sat 22-Oct-11 14:26:23
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

OK, have ordered now and the installation date is Wednesday (26/10/10)

Just looking for confirmation that its not an error with the number checker really.

It has been a very long wait, stuck for 7 years on 0.6Mbps, can't believe FTTC has finally arrived with no notification or marketing campaign at all! I thought they would have written to everyone inviting subscribers to update.

skybroadband
Downstream 852 Kbps
Upstream 384 Kbps
On Draytek 2820G
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 23-Oct-11 19:15:48
Print Post

these 20 cabs (additional deployement) were advised in March 2011 -- they become live to superfasr providers an no advance notification is given

once the communication provider can see the cab live it can market any customers
Standard User curtmantle
(newbie) Tue 25-Oct-11 14:10:34
Print Post

Cab 69

When people say they are checking BTWholesale, are you just using the standard ADSL checker?

http://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

If so, PCP69 is still not active and there is no physical sign of any work having been carried out on it. Is there nowhere where we can get any information on what's happening? PCP69 is earmarked for this phase but nothing's happened.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 25-Oct-11 19:57:46
Print Post

Re: Cab 69

Think once the 20 have been done this will bring it isome around mid 90's in terms of Cab delployment in Basingstoke

has any notifications been made on cab 69 ? as yet
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 26-Oct-11 15:04:11
Print Post

PCP 82

BT Infinity installed on Monday and it works brilliantly!
Now getting 37.5M downlaod in Primrose Gardens.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 26-Oct-11 23:49:28
Print Post

Re: PCP 82

which cab is primrose gardens
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 29-Oct-11 09:55:32
Print Post

Primrose Gardens is PCP 82
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 01-Nov-11 18:37:00
Print Post

Cab 204 is now live
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 02-Nov-11 14:32:18
Print Post

Just looking for confirmation that its not an error with the number checker really.

It has been a very long wait, stuck for 7 years on 0.6Mbps, can't believe FTTC has finally arrived with no notification or marketing campaign at all! I thought they would have written to everyone inviting subscribers to update.

Yes I am on PCP 67 have just gone live - 1st November with BT Infinity. Getting 37.5Mb down and 8Mb up, (was 1.2Mb down - 0.3Mb up and yes it was a better speed than most in Chineham.)

Very happy.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 02-Nov-11 22:42:31
Print Post

Because there are additional cabs on a live exchnage -- they are coming live with little or no advance Notification to the Communication providers fication and so in this case the watching basingstoke ooomunity is ahead our the Communication Provider offering the service -- once a cab goes live thends to be a bit of a lag beofre it is marketed on -- -- this is obviously not the case in Basiingstoke
(regular) Wed 02-Nov-11 22:52:46
Print Post

Re: Anyone live on PCP 67 *DELETED*

Post deleted by chainsawdude

Edited by chainsawdude (Wed 02-Nov-11 22:54:37)

Standard User Adsl24
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 02-Nov-11 22:52:51
Print Post

On our latest weekly update from Openreach we can see the below FTTC cabinets are now live and RFS on the Basingstoke exchange:

6, 18, 24, 63, 65, 67, 78, 82, 106, 123, 168, 199 and 204

HTH

James

James
ADSL24 Broadband
http://adsl24.co.uk
(regular) Wed 02-Nov-11 22:55:21
Print Post

Yes, me too. Everything went ahead OK and the engineer actually turned up on the Monday 24/10/11.

I was 0.6Mb down and 0.4Mb up. I am now 35Mb down and 1.7Mb up with Plusnet, quite some difference.
Odd how the speeds are all over the place, I used to have an up almost the same as my down, now there is a large difference.

Edited by chainsawdude (Wed 02-Nov-11 22:57:11)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 02-Nov-11 22:57:55
Print Post

Chainsaw i would expect an up of aound 8 - 9 with that download - def not 1.7
(regular) Wed 02-Nov-11 23:07:13
Print Post

The BT engineer said the line tested at 40 and 2, which I took to mean a sync speed of 40Mb down and 2Mb up. I always knew there was something wrong with my line, my neighbours could achieve 1Mb down. The difference between 0.6Mb and 1Mb used to be so important to me....... But not now smile

I am not complaining as its been such a long long wait to get a decent connection.
That may change in a few weeks when I become accustomed to it.

plusnet fibre
Downstream 34500 Kbps
Upstream 1700 Kbps
On Netgear WNR1000

Edited by chainsawdude (Wed 02-Nov-11 23:07:54)

Standard User Zadeks
(committed) Wed 02-Nov-11 23:18:06
Print Post

No. Max 2Mb/s upstream @ PlusNet.
Standard User DougM
(member) Thu 03-Nov-11 20:11:59
Print Post

[re: Adsl24] [link to this post]

Hi James,

Do you get to see any forward planned availability? PCP 66 had its DSLAM installed over three months ago but is still not live frown

Doug

-==-
DougM
Standard User steveeeee
(newbie) Thu 03-Nov-11 21:37:01
Print Post

66 had some digging alongside it lately which I thought might be for sorting out the power to the cab, but Elgin said it was for gas works rather than electricity.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 05-Nov-11 09:42:24
Print Post

so is the 15 mb minimum and then 5mb minimum imposed by bt wholesale or bt openreach? can providers take gea customers at whatever speed they like?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 05-Nov-11 23:17:39
Print Post

Infinity cannot be ordered unles its 15m (this is aroun the service offered) other CPs will packange their products according to their criteria

There is a by product of a line not being on 15 meg line offered by BT with is badged as Faster Tottal Broadband (used FTTC technollogy but without Infinity sorroud)

Faster total broadband only operates where a cab in already enabled for FTC

you wuld need to contact your cp to understand what is available to you depending on your line speed
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 08-Nov-11 13:11:08
Print Post

Anyone know where to get updates on the rollout. I'm on PCP 79 and its looking more and more like this cab is being ignored - despite appearing the phase 6a list.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 09-Nov-11 21:06:21
Print Post

i understand it will be done although there appears to be a delay on it at present
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 14-Nov-11 15:52:34
Print Post

Yes I am on PCP 67 have just gone live - 1st November with BT Infinity. Getting 37.5Mb down and 8Mb up, (was 1.2Mb down - 0.3Mb up and yes it was a better speed than most in Chineham.)

Very happy.

Just uploaded a YouTube video showing the speed diffrence before and after BT Infinty. you need to look at part 1 -before and Part 2 - after
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4oWIe9h6Dk
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 14-Nov-11 19:48:33
Print Post

Any news on PCP66?

Does anyone have any news on PCP66? Considering my house is situated nearer PCP67 than 66, which is now live, I am getting ever more frustrated frown

According to Elgin, both the recent roadworks (mentioned above) and today's road works appear to be for SE Water rather than Openworks. I did talk to an Openworks guy who was doing some work on the corner next to PCP66 and he believed it should be ready in the very near future if not already - he expected it had already had all the connections (including power) made, but this doesn't tally with what people have mentioned here (ie roadworks on elgin being cancelled) and the wholesale checker (which still reports no FTTC for my phone number). He suggested calling BT infinity and asking if they had a date set for the PCP being ready but I couldn't easily find the number on the website so gave up..... frown
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 18-Nov-11 10:46:11
Print Post

Very happy.

Just uploaded a YouTube video showing the speed diffrence before and after BT Infinty. you need to look at part 1 -before and Part 2 - after
http://youtu.be/lboH5hG2rag
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 18-Nov-11 11:14:05
Print Post

... nested quotes trimmed ...

Very happy.

Just uploaded a YouTube video showing the speed diffrence before and after BT Infinty. http://youtu.be/VFyst6HRtL8

Another update as Youtube is causing problems
Standard User MGL
(newbie) Sat 19-Nov-11 09:45:19
Print Post

Had Infinity installed yesterday (PCP 82) Very happy!

37Mbps / 8.1Mbps

Edited by MGL (Sat 19-Nov-11 09:47:23)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 20-Nov-11 18:00:21
Print Post

Re: Any news on PCP66?

Service provider will not be aware of ths cab unilt it is live on the system -- i will do some digging and see what i can found out and will report back to forum (Fastman)
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 25-Nov-11 15:44:38
Print Post

How can I find out more information

I'm in Birches Crest, Hatch Warren so think I'm on PCP199 or possiby 188 since that's closer geographically.

BT Wholesale checker isn't showing FTTC available on my number which is a disappointment.

Would like to find out if/when FTTC will become available to me but have no clue how to go about it.

Any (constructive wink) suggestions welcome.
Standard User DougM
(member) Fri 25-Nov-11 16:37:25
Print Post

Re: How can I find out more information

I believe Birches Crest is RG22 4RP, so that would be connected to PCP 199. That cabinet went live for FTTC in September, so I'm surprised to hear that the Wholesale checker doesn't show availability.

It may be worth calling one of the FTTC ISPs and asking them to investigate availability. James from ADSL24 (forum username adsl24) is always very helpful.

-==-
DougM
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 26-Nov-11 22:41:16
Print Post

Thanks DougM

Well what would you know! after weeks of checking and asking a number of friends and neighbours around Hatch Warren the Wholesale checker says I can get it today, as can a friend in Highdowns who has been told no till now too!! Wholesale checker seems to include a randomising frustration function - better order quick before BT change their minds!

Next problem. My master socket is right by the front door, it is impractical to put a phone there let alone a modem and router. Does anyone know if it is possible to move the master socket somewhere more convenient? At the moment we use the bedroom extension for everything, could that be turned into a master socket?

I'm almost excited now lol
Standard User asturini
(newbie) Sun 27-Nov-11 07:57:35
Print Post

The Openreach engineer can move the master socket if that is reasonably practical or alternatively use the data extension kit which is approx 30m and can be tacked around skirting boards etc.

Talk to the engineer when he does the job they are mostly pretty helpful.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 27-Nov-11 19:08:36
Print Post

199 is live already
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 27-Nov-11 19:12:26
Print Post

it may wel be you a are a distance from the cabinter and could not get infinity (min 15meg) because of the band plan changes (7-17Mhz change) and the change from Worst case to typlical case on the checker a number sub 15 lines are now able to gain above 15meg and there are now avaialbe for infinity which is why the checker now has a different answer
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 02-Dec-11 14:53:41
Print Post

Re: PCP66

Still no news on PCP66? frown
Standard User DougM
(member) Fri 02-Dec-11 19:32:04
Print Post

Last I heard was a go-live date of December 12, but still no sign of scheduled works to connect power.

-==-
DougM
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 02-Dec-11 21:09:46
Print Post

Cheers Doug! Will keep my fingers crossed......
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 06-Dec-11 11:22:51
Print Post

PCP 79

Any news on PCP79 next to St Marks Primary school in Hatch Warren?

No work has been done, any idea when/if this box will get upgraded?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 09-Dec-11 11:38:58
Print Post

Have now had VDSL modem installed, Wired connection to router speed is just shy of 40mbps!, wireless is slower at around 30mbps, a huge improvement on 0.35mbps! So much for pessimistic BT Wholesale estimate, but of course will have to see how this changes over the coming months especially as more people will get FTTC/VDSL and SNR is likely to get worse...

The BT Engineer was happy to move my master socket position to the only extension we have in the house (which is far more convenient for me and is where ADSL router has lived for the last 5 or so years) The original master socket is unusable/disconnected and is blanked off, but that is of no concern.

Whole process was quick and BT Engineer was even going to set up wireless on my Linux boxes but I had beaten him to it so he finished his tea and left.

Thanks to DougM and others that have posted here smile
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 13-Dec-11 20:03:46
Print Post

PCP66

still nothing on PCP66. Just tried calling BT to see if they knew anything. I can confirm their call centre is useless. USELESS!!
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 13-Dec-11 22:48:20
Print Post

no cp (BT or Otherwise) will know anything about any cab until it is about to be live and ready for service --
Standard User steveeeee
(newbie) Tue 13-Dec-11 23:38:37
Print Post

There's been a lot of activity on PCP67 lately. I've approached a couple of different Openreach engineers there on different occasions (one yesterday) and both said they had no information on when PCP66 will be going live.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 17-Dec-11 18:09:50
Print Post

any news on pcp66?

This is becoming an obsession
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 19-Dec-11 17:03:06
Print Post

I to for some reason am connected to PCP66 Evan tough PCP 67 and another one i cant remember are both closer to me!

Im checking every couple of days for PCP66 to come online as 0.25Mb is pretty damn depressing! for paying £45/pcm *grump!!!

If any one has new please let me know!
Standard User moosedog
(newbie) Mon 02-Jan-12 19:09:19
Print Post

any news on pcp79 im in highwood ridge and heard nothing for ages
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 03-Jan-12 15:45:11
Print Post

[re: moosedog] [link to this post]

ditto but on 66 smile
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 12-Jan-12 10:00:03
Print Post

Re: Anyone live on PCP 66

still no news that I can see on PCP66 - checking Elgin often but no roadworks planned. Has anyone heard anything? My slow broadband is still annoying me frown
Standard User DougM
(member) Thu 12-Jan-12 15:16:19
Print Post

I saw this update from a friend who is chasing through the BT Chairman's Office:
Just to let you know Ive had another update from the planners today. Weve still not got a definitive date but Ive been advised that your cab should be ready for Infinity by the end of March at the latest.

-==-
DougM
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 13-Jan-12 17:26:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by DougM:
I saw this update from a friend who is chasing through the BT Chairman's Office:
Just to let you know Ive had another update from the planners today. Weve still not got a definitive date but Ive been advised that your cab should be ready for Infinity by the end of March at the latest.

is this in regard to 66 or 67? Great news either way.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 15-Jan-12 13:52:59
Print Post

vote for BT

I'd heard numerous horror stories over Infinity, but still ordered, Hatch Warren getting 37.4 meg down, although engineers machine said 40 meg max ? couldn't explain why, i can confirm that torrent downloaders will only be doing so during "sleeping hours" BT throttle connections on torrents between 9am to Midnight down toa snails pace, other than that great service run 3 pc's connnected to internet and one PS3 online gaming and all work smooth, I've also not gone through the supposed 10day flucuation in speeds until its settled mine has stuck at 37.4 thoughout.

Dave @ Hatch Warren
Standard User WWWombat
(committed) Sun 15-Jan-12 22:07:06
Print Post

Re: vote for BT

Hatch Warren getting 37.4 meg down, although engineers machine said 40 meg max ? couldn't explain why,
I've also not gone through the supposed 10day flucuation in speeds until its settled mine has stuck at 37.4 thoughout.

The 10-day thing is a myth - especially for FTTC. Openreach's documents state that DLM will monitor for the first day, and intervene if necessary on the second day... unless things are dire, when it will intervene as fast as possible.

The first question is... what is the 37.4 meg? Is that the speed seen in a tester like speedtest.net?

If so, then that *is* about the best speed you can get with a 40Mbps sync.
Standard User DougM
(member) Mon 16-Jan-12 12:44:04
Print Post

My post relates to PCP 66 (per the title)

I understand that PCP 67 already went live late last year (confirmed using a number from a friend in Tangway)

I've seen a lot of residents make the assumption that they're connected to the cabinet closest to them; this is often not the case. Structured cabling makes it rare for a cabinet to serve lines in all direction.

Take a look at this map to see how postcodes map to cabinets in Chineham:

http://batchgeo.com/map/bf3fd6d64deadc4abe512787ee9c...

The "Percent Postcode on this PCP" indicates what percentage of lines in that postcode connect to that cabinet; where it is less than 100% you should find the same postcode listed a second time for those lines that connect to another cabinet.

-==-
DougM

Edited by DougM (Mon 16-Jan-12 12:52:28)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 22-Jan-12 10:40:42
Print Post

Re: PCP 79

still wondering when this is coming live
Standard User robal
(newbie) Sun 22-Jan-12 15:31:00
Print Post

What about PCP205

Hi,

It's sad that it requires a lot of detective work to find out stuff.

Anyone has got any info on PCP205 ?
Old report (04/2011) said it's not going to be enabled. Is that still true ?
Standard User burakkucat
(committed) Sun 22-Jan-12 15:57:36
Print Post

Re: What about PCP205

[re: robal] [link to this post]

Anyone has got any info on PCP205 ?
Old report (04/2011) said it's not going to be enabled. Is that still true ?
Unfortunately the December 2011 report says --
THBZ,BASINGSTOKE,RG248EG,{THBZ}{P205},0,100%,,,,
frown

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 25-Jan-12 12:29:51
Print Post

Great, thanks for the update Doug. I hope it doesn't get shifted again....
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 26-Jan-12 20:29:14
Print Post

ANy further news would be good
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 31-Jan-12 11:58:11
Print Post

Just checked Openreach Communications Exchange checker and the Dummer Exchange is listed as NC (not in rollout plans)... So cheers BT and also great Job VM... oh well smile
Standard User ccxo
(member) Tue 31-Jan-12 18:42:02
Print Post

You will find that you're exchange will be covered by Hampshires local broadband plan, so will see improvements end of 2012 onwards depending on how the plan is drawn up.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User curtmantle
(newbie) Tue 07-Feb-12 09:15:28
Print Post

Me too. To tell us they're going to do it and then not is more frustrating than not even being scheduled in.
Standard User steveeeee
(newbie) Thu 09-Feb-12 10:51:21
Print Post

I noticed today that Elgin has two BT jobs scheduled to end 21st and 22nd Feb near PCP66. Could this be the final go live!?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 09-Feb-12 18:08:19
Print Post

i saw a openreach guy messing around with pcp 66 yesterday laugh
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 17-Feb-12 09:31:06
Print Post

first job due to start today, further up reading road...exciting stuff!! Hope the Openreach guys will still be around later so I can quiz them about what they're doing.

So once power is connected, how many weeks (roughly) should I expect to wait for their "testing" to complete before I can sign up to Infinity?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 22-Feb-12 08:58:03
Print Post

Well, they were scheduled to start work around PCP66 on Monday, work sheduled between 20-22 Feb, estimated. Not a peep yet, no Openreach van to be seen, no roadworks at all.... frown
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 22-Feb-12 11:24:35
Print Post

there was an open reach van yesterday at pcp 66 and roadworks (although i don't think they were related, pulling a yellow tuibe through the ground further down the road).
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 22-Feb-12 14:05:20
Print Post

oh right! I didn't spot that! hmm ok, well I hope they're doing something at the moment.... fingers crossed!
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 22-Feb-12 14:08:16
Print Post

just checked Elgin again and the BT roadworks have been removed from it....
Standard User DougM
(member) Wed 22-Feb-12 18:55:15
Print Post

The roadworks are still listed, but you won't see them unless you select filters that include completed works. Current status for the Reading Road and Thornhill Way works is: "Work completed (with excavation)"

It's common for Openreach engineers to visit cabinets in support of the plain old telephone service (POTS), but I didn't see any significant activity near the VDSL2 cabinet itself; I was hoping to see some groundworks to connect the cabinet to the power ducts hidden in the nearby verge.

I'll give it a couple of days and see if the checker updates. It's crazy to think this cabinet was installed last July and has been doing nothing other than depreciating ever since.

-==-
DougM
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 23-Feb-12 08:43:18
Print Post

As always, thank you Doug!

Will keep an eye out then. Interestingly the BT wholesale checker now does not state FTTC available under my post code (it used to) which seems a bit strange to me.
Standard User DougM
(member) Thu 23-Feb-12 11:28:50
Print Post

Always happy to help smile

I noticed that postcode-based forward availability disappeared the weekend that BT re-implemented the FTTC estimate caps. I saw a couple of other people in other towns report the same; I believe it is just a change in what is displayed rather than anything to be worried about.

-==-
DougM
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 27-Feb-12 20:30:42
Print Post

Well still nothing on the checker. am gutted, not seen a single openreach van either. so incredibly frustrated! Is there a way i can contact openreach to ask what their current plans are? What frustrate me most is that most of the hard work is already done - the cab is there - and im willing to pay good money for a fibre service!
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 27-Feb-12 20:55:35
Print Post

well to add to my post above, I've sent a message through the openreach website asking if they can update me. Not expecting anything useful back though!
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 05-Mar-12 09:40:24
Print Post

well, Openreach have a policy where they can't tell me anything at all, and I've still not seen any activity near the cab, and no further roadworks scheduled on Elgin. Does anyone else have any news?
Standard User Hyde_TDS
(newbie) Mon 05-Mar-12 15:27:26
Print Post

Me too. To tell us they're going to do it and then not is more frustrating than not even being scheduled in.
Hopefully OR shoulld be starting work on this cabinet today (5th March) through to the 16th March. Details on Elgin. Let's hope it's to install fibre!
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 10-Mar-12 21:09:36
Print Post

well, I spoke to a local council member, turns out the reason for the delay is that Openreach lost the works order somewhere in the office. Smooth! New one has been created, so it should get done soon....I hope!
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 20-Mar-12 17:01:00
Print Post

any more news on pcp 66?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 21-Mar-12 13:16:16
Print Post

I've not heard anything. I've been pointed to the January issue of the Chineham Chat, where a number has been quoted (in Paul M's column) for the contact between the council and openreach. If you give him a call he will put you on a list of people waiting for more info, and when he gets news he will send on straight away. January's Chineham Chat is available online (best to google it)

He hopes to hear something this week, but I suspect it will only be about when they plan to provide power to the cab.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 22-Mar-12 21:23:18
Print Post

PCP 79 - NEWS!

2 x BT works have appeared on Elgin for Woodbury Road/Danebury Road. Dates 10/04/2012 - 23/04/2012. Could this be replacement of CAB PCP 79 - are we almost there in our quest for Infinity???
Standard User Hyde_TDS
(newbie) Thu 22-Mar-12 21:30:04
Print Post

Let's hope so! We had two such tickets a few weeks back that were withdrawn. Fingers crossed something actually gets done this time.
Standard User curtmantle
(newbie) Wed 28-Mar-12 20:49:18
Print Post

Fingers crossed PCP 79 will finally get done.

I'll be gutted if it doesn't get done this time - it was a nightmare having the expectation of it arriving last summer and then it not happening.
Standard User Hyde_TDS
(newbie) Wed 28-Mar-12 20:52:34
Print Post

You and me both. And a few others to boot!

Edited by Hyde_TDS (Wed 28-Mar-12 20:53:09)

Standard User moosedog
(newbie) Thu 29-Mar-12 19:13:40
Print Post

oh please let it happen this time its like dial up sometimes round here
Standard User curtmantle
(newbie) Fri 30-Mar-12 14:41:14
Print Post

My connection to PCP79 is completely down at the moment. Using a mobile internet dongle until it's sorted.

I've had problems with my connection since I first got it in 2004.
Standard User DougM
(member) Mon 02-Apr-12 11:36:45
Print Post

For anyone who did not see this update from the Basingstoke Broadband Facebook group:
The power cables for Basingstoke PCP 66 were on private land. We asked the power company to look for a new solution, which they quoted for. This quote was excessive because it had been quoted with the power company performing the civil works. We asked them to re-quote the works with our contractor performing the civil works which was received last week and signed and returned to them.

Our contractors are in the process of noticing the required works, which will be from an overhead supply. This causes additional complications as a specialist jointer is required and we have asked the power company to supply a date for such an individual to be available to us asap.

So the cabinet was installed last July and ever since BT has been trying to get some power! Hopefully not long now.

-==-
DougM
Standard User justinf
(newbie) Mon 02-Apr-12 13:12:57
Print Post

what are the PCP numbers for Chineham?

I'm still on 1mb/s despite being signed up to BT
Standard User R0NSKI
(regular) Mon 02-Apr-12 13:36:31
Print Post

[re: justinf] [link to this post]

You need to post your postcode, and someone will lookup the cabinet number for you.

You could also try entering your number here, and see what it's says. Make sure you don't put a space in your number, the checker gets upset!

If it does not recognise your number choose the option to enter your address, NOT just your postcode, postcode only does not give any FTTC results.

Edited by R0NSKI (Mon 02-Apr-12 13:40:05)

Standard User DougM
(member) Mon 02-Apr-12 15:12:17
Print Post

[re: justinf] [link to this post]

I've mapped the postcodes to cabinets for Chineham:

http://batchgeo.com/map/bf3fd6d64deadc4abe512787ee9c...

You'll need to play with the zoom: for some reason BatchGeo has started defaulting to Europe rather than the area specific to the data!

You can type postcodes in the search box to see which PCP covers them, or you can type a PCP number to see which postcodes it covers.

-==-
DougM
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 11-Apr-12 22:58:05
Print Post

So there's now a big hole next to PCP 79... work has started!!! Should I really be this excited about FTTC???
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 12-Apr-12 09:23:29
Print Post

Let's hope so, I noticed the works yesterday too, and will eagerly be on the lookout for Openreach vans.

Fingers crossed, but I assume it will still be a couple of months before infinity will be available . . .
Standard User simon194
(regular) Thu 12-Apr-12 11:34:39
Print Post

Let's hope so, I noticed the works yesterday too, and will eagerly be on the lookout for Openreach vans.

Fingers crossed, but I assume it will still be a couple of months before infinity will be available . . .

I wouldn't count on it. A cab near my son's school was put in place last October and Openreach installed their equipment in it about a month ago.
Standard User moosedog
(newbie) Thu 12-Apr-12 18:52:02
Print Post

new cabinet as well i see wow getting close i hope.

moosedog
Standard User curtmantle
(newbie) Wed 18-Apr-12 11:49:07
Print Post

Yep, cabinet fully installed by the look of it.

Please don't make us wait too long for it to be enabled.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 21-Apr-12 15:06:40
Print Post

does any body know when the are getting some nice speeds in hatch warren as i am only getting 1.8mps the road is highwood ridge
Standard User moosedog
(newbie) Sun 22-Apr-12 07:43:25
Print Post

i get just over 2 in highwood ridge
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 25-Apr-12 18:25:55
Print Post

Any news on this power yet xD ?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 26-Apr-12 15:33:32
Print Post

Any news on this power yet xD ?

there seems to be another big green box opposite now, not sure what it is though.
Standard User curtmantle
(newbie) Tue 08-May-12 13:26:23
Print Post

Two OpenReach vans parked next to PCP79 today, with engineers working on both the old cab and the new one.

Surely can't be far off now?
Standard User Hyde_TDS
(newbie) Wed 09-May-12 17:27:43
Print Post

I'm afraid they were just linking the copper cab to the fibre cab. Actual Fibre to the main cab is still about a month away. Then it's a week or 3 to get the admin through the system to allow the public to place an order. So late June at the very earliest. I asked them wink
Standard User curtmantle
(newbie) Fri 11-May-12 13:57:17
Print Post

Ah - still it's good to know what the score is. June/July is fine... I've waited 8 years, what's a couple more months? wink
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 14-May-12 12:35:46
Print Post

Re: PCP 66

anything on pcp 66?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 31-May-12 19:44:19
Print Post

Hi I am keen to to get any info on PCP66 it still appears that the works to connect power are not scheduled on elgin . Is there anyone I can contact ?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 03-Jun-12 21:00:49
Print Post

yes there is, though I don't have the details to hand. Paul Miller mentioned the details of the council contact in one of his columns in the Chineham Chat. The Chineham Chat is available online and I think it was around Jan-Mar this year that it was mentioned. In there is a phone number. I've called the council contact in the past, really nice guy, but when I last called (a month or so ago) he didn't have anything solid - he mentioned being told the works should be complete by end of May, and the PCP should be up and running by the end of June (allowing for a month of testing) however no roadworks have been scheduled anywhere near it - so I'm not expecting anything ready by the end of June.

If you give him a call, can you let me know what he says? I'm interested in getting an update too.....

I know there are power works going on down St Leonards and St Gabriels, linking to the power hub thing in St Gabriels, but not sure what it's for - it's obviously nowhere near the PCP, but maybe it's the first stage of getting power to the PCP.....?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 11-Jun-12 15:25:13
Print Post

PCP 79 - Update. Looks like works to establish power to the new cab are scheduled to start in 2 weeks time. Slow, but steady progress...
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 13-Jun-12 13:52:37
Print Post

well, I've been told there is now power to PCP66, though I'm not sure if I believe it as I've not seen any works there. apparently they're now testing but are coming across a lot of faults, so this is causing extra delay. There should be an update by the end of June though, about when they'll have it ready.....
Standard User curtmantle
(newbie) Tue 26-Jun-12 13:38:39
Print Post

Have the works on PCP79 started? I haven't been past there the last day or two.
Standard User curtmantle
(newbie) Thu 28-Jun-12 13:20:58
Print Post

There is an OpenReach engineer working on PCP 79 today.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 28-Jun-12 18:06:17
Print Post

wow

looks like we are getting closer now to getting some sort of decent broadband
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 29-Jun-12 13:05:03
Print Post

Anything else on PCP 66, I haven't seen any activity and its now been a year since the box was installed!!!
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 03-Jul-12 08:58:24
Print Post

no update from the council, however there's a VERY interesting roadwork planned between 5th-9th July by VIRGIN MEDIA

Current status Planned work about to start
Works location 20 YARDS FROM ROUNDABOUT
Works description LAY 6 METERS OF DUCT IN THE VERGE

It's marked as being the other side of the roundabout but there's no PCP there (so I think it's a mistake) so could be for PCP66.......Virgin Media?!?!?!
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 03-Jul-12 09:37:19
Print Post

actually I just remembered, Virgin Media have their feed for Basingstoke going down Reading Road, so it's probably just for that - probably nothing to do with Chineham...... frown
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 13-Jul-12 19:13:13
Print Post

anybody noticed a slight increase in the speed over the last 2 days ?
Standard User curtmantle
(newbie) Thu 19-Jul-12 17:03:00
Print Post

anybody noticed a slight increase in the speed over the last 2 days ?

Sadly not.

Fibre optic still not available. COME ON!!
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 20-Jul-12 13:28:02
Print Post

PCP 66

Has anyone noticed that speeds have actually got slower recently in PCP66. Clearly BT have forgotten about the fibre cabinet fitted last year!!
Moderator Sadoldman
(moderator) Fri 20-Jul-12 14:07:45
Print Post

Such an old and long thread suggest members start a Part Two with a link to this thread.

Closed

Sadoldman

Just a tad sad..a wee bit old...wink

[email protected]
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to