General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User 4M2
(committed) Mon 28-Feb-11 12:24:47
Print Post

Re: YouTube streaming problems

[re: ifb_online] [link to this post]

ifb_online,

Glad to hear that YT HD streaming has improved smile

Just out of interest: how fast do Vimeo HD videos buffer - can you monitor the speed with the tbbMeter or similar? Usually I get ~6300Kbps on adsl max but it can get much slower at certain times of the day; yet speeds from other sites, e.g. iPlayer, remain high.

4M2.
Standard User ifb_online
(learned) Mon 28-Feb-11 12:48:37
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 4M2:
ifb_online,

Glad to hear that YT HD streaming has improved smile

Just out of interest: how fast do Vimeo HD videos buffer - can you monitor the speed with the tbbMeter or similar? Usually I get ~6300Kbps on adsl max but it can get much slower at certain times of the day; yet speeds from other sites, e.g. iPlayer, remain high.

4M2.

Just had a look at some Vimeo 1080p clips clips - a 90 second clip was buffered fully after 11 seconds of playback, for example.

Unfortunately, my YuuTube problems have returned frown

Ian
Standard User 4M2
(committed) Mon 28-Feb-11 13:07:15
Print Post

ifb_online,

Thanks for doing the Vimeo test. For me this one minute HD video http://vimeo.com/20427953 fully buffered after 14 seconds.

Sometimes I find with YT if a video is slow to buffer then I just refresh the page and buffering will begin again and be much faster...

4M2.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ifb_online
(learned) Mon 28-Feb-11 14:35:34
Print Post

9 seconds for me. I will try your YT tip thanks!

Ian
Standard User ifb_online
(learned) Tue 01-Mar-11 12:34:30
Print Post

Just uploaded a 309MB 1080p video (direct from the camera) to Vimeo. The upload rate was slower than YouTube (which managed 1MB/sec for me) at 475K/sec. But the video buffered within seconds on playback. I have yet to see this video on YouTube fully buffered before the video ends!

Ian
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 01-Mar-11 12:50:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by ifb_online:
In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Can you provide an example link?

Try this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW8p8JO2hQw

Don't forget to switch to 1080p mode.

Ian

constant 3.8meg sec on VM 30mbit cable. Best performing YT clip I seen for a while. Fully buffered 1:22 in.

Edited by Chrysalis (Tue 01-Mar-11 12:51:13)

Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 01-Mar-11 12:55:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by 4M2:
ifb_online,

Thanks for doing the Vimeo test. For me this one minute HD video http://vimeo.com/20427953 fully buffered after 14 seconds.

Sometimes I find with YT if a video is slow to buffer then I just refresh the page and buffering will begin again and be much faster...

4M2.

6 secs here.
Standard User 4M2
(committed) Tue 01-Mar-11 13:08:17
Print Post

Ian,

That's interesting because Vimeo will encode at 720p and YT will encode at the full 1080p and at a higher bit rate.

4M2.
Standard User 4M2
(committed) Tue 01-Mar-11 13:31:02
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Chrysalis,

That's fast!!!

4M2.
Standard User ifb_online
(learned) Tue 01-Mar-11 19:03:07
Print Post

I'm almost a week into my new FTTC service with Fast.co.uk. When I started this thread I was having problems with streaming HD videos across my connection from YouTube despite speed tests showing I had 38Mns of bandwidth.

To give Fast.co.uk credit they have been very concerned and have apparently made some tweaks at their end and I can report that 720p content from YouTube does now stream reliably, but not 1080p.

I'm in a difficult position as YouTube video is very important for me as I produce video content. The upload speed is perfectly fine and is probably faster than what I'm getting for download. If 720p had not improved, I would have had to investigate the option of moving to another ISP, but 1080p is not (yet) critical for what I do.

I know others get clean YouTube streams at 1080p, as I do at home with my 20Mbs Virgin connection.

So my message to Fast.co.uk is - great, friendly support, but you need to fix this problem and fast (sorry for the pun!).

Ian
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to